Brocock Sniper XR

I just received my Brocock Sniper XR in . 22 and it's got tons of potential. Running 30 FPE, shooting 18.1 AA pellets at 864fps. So accurate that shooting at 25 yds isn't even fun. I zeroed it at 40 yards and am amazed how accurate it is. Three things I'd change. #1 Love the quick disconnect, but it's buried in the stock so deep you need to use their supplied fill fitting. Kudos to Brocock for including it! I'm hesitant to "fix" something that isn't broken, or change something that works fine right now, for use on one gun. Leaks happen when things get changed, and my current fill whip is 100% reliable and leak free. #2 The trigger is only adjustable so much, and at it's still a little heavy for a target rifle, in my opinion. Hoping it breaks in as time passes. #3 The cost of the magazines. $110 USD each. Unbelievable. Now yes, if you buy a Ferrari, an oil filter isn't going to cost the same as a Corolla. But I've never seen a mfr get $110 for a little itty bitty CNC machined magazine before on any of my air guns or powder burners. That is WAAAY overpriced.

20220817_175222.jpg

I think that the Sniper XR is a fine air rifle, which maybe doesn't get all publicity it deserves since it will always be the little brother to the Daystate Wolverine. But what a value for money!

I like the short/compact package. Accuracy on the ones I have had have been great, but I agree with you that the trigger can be a little heavy for precision work. Maybe because the gun is a little more of a field hunter than a bullseye bench gun? I have also found that the Sniper XR triggers can vary a bit on extent of adjustability between guns, even of the same model and caliber. Don't know the reason but my very first one (standard power sniper xr in .177) had the best trigger of all I've had.

Yes, Brocock and Daystate mags are expensive, but we know that going in. As we generally know about the extended Foster QD for filling. Next purchase for you should likely be magazines and a single shot loader for your new Sniper from CARM. Then pick up one of the extended female QD's for a spare, and just use them to fill all of your guns. I like the extended ones from Utah Airguns which have the male Foster directly milled on:

https://utahairguns.com/airmarksman-extended-quick-disconnect-with-foster-fitting/

Congrats on your new gun - it is a fine gun, and a great looker in that laminate stock.

That's a really nice rifle there. I have a Commander XR in .22 and it handles so well, and accuracy wise is wonderful. I agree about the CARM mags for sure. I was warned by multiple folks that I probably wouldn't be satisfied with the trigger on my Brocock, but as it is, untouched from AOA, it is superb. I do also have 2 Taipan Veterans, so I know a good trigger ;) . Mine shoots .217 H&N slugs very well also in the 21 gr. weight at about 800 fps. The Brocock magazines do hold slugs much better than The Vets. I would imagine your trigger will improve with use. If you are filling from a SCBA tank, remember to fill rather slowly. I was told this by a forum member here to prevent o ring problems at the fill port. Best Wishes!

Chris

Reactions: JohnnySuperDad
That's a really nice rifle there. I have a Commander XR in .22 and it handles so well, and accuracy wise is wonderful. I agree about the CARM mags for sure. I was warned by multiple folks that I probably wouldn't be satisfied with the trigger on my Brocock, but as it is, untouched from AOA, it is superb. I do also have 2 Taipan Veterans, so I know a good trigger ;) . Mine shoots .217 H&N slugs very well also in the 21 gr. weight at about 800 fps. The Brocock magazines do hold slugs much better than The Vets. I would imagine your trigger will improve with use. If you are filling from a SCBA tank, remember to fill rather slowly. I was told this by a forum member here to prevent o ring problems at the fill port. Best Wishes!

Chris
Thanks for the filling advice, I will go slowly.

Congratulations on Sniper XR. I’m a Brocock fanboy because they are super solid PCPs. The accuracy never gets old. Though I must confess since getting the Atomic XR. My Bantam Sniper HR and Compatto don’t see much use. Just seriously digging my Atomic XR. The Brococks are underrated and don’t get the press… They simply get it done day after day.

Congratulations on Sniper XR. I’m a Brocock fanboy because they are super solid PCPs. The accuracy never gets old. Though I must confess since getting the Atomic XR. My Bantam Sniper HR and Compatto don’t see much use. Just seriously digging my Atomic XR. The Brococks are underrated and don’t get the press… They simply get it done day after day.
Reliability is why I spent the $$ and went with an English MFR. I've been let down by Turkey and China based airguns recently.

Reactions: darylm and L.Leon
After doing a trigger job and more chronograph testing today of my XR (laminated), I updated my testing notes with comments timely to your post-

"With the right combination of features, power and technology, I consider the Brocock Bantam Sniper XR to rank among the short list of top contenders for a “does-it-all” air rifle. After having adjusted the excellent two-stage trigger as light as possible (a 6 ounce first stage and 14 ounce break), I replaced the trigger and sear springs to bring it down to a 2 ounce first stage and 8 ounce break. She’s now close enough to a telepathic trigger action for (better) competition work."

I've now done the lighter trigger-spring and sear-spring thing to not only my XR, but also my two Bantam Hi-Lites (all with virtually identical trigger designs) with great, dependable, and safe results.

Lightened the trigger on my .177 Hi-Lite the most (on purpose), after converting it to an extreme field target pistol. It now has a 2 ounce first stage, and the trigger breaks at 3.5-4 ounces! Suffice to say that makes ALL the difference when shooting dime-sized groups at 50 yards with an air pistol. Eight of the ten shots in the two groups pictured below went into less than 1/2" at fifty yards, and all ten shots can be covered with a quarter.-

Bantam at 50.jpg

The power you quote sounds like power level 2; as my XR does 970 FPS at level 4 with 18.1 JSBs. The four-level power adjuster is one of the (several) features I find so endearing about the XR.

I up graded my Brocock Concept xr with the newer target trigger. I was able to adjust it to be very nice. You need to adjust several areas on the trigger. I find it to be a very nice trigger.

As to the magazines. I think there exceptional. finely machined, very precise and will last a lifetime. When I bought extra's they were around $80.

I also found some slightly used magazines on the exchange.

I have no regrets buying the Brocock.

Reactions: JohnnySuperDad
I had to back the second stage trigger adjustment out a little today. I had the sear slip twice when I was cocking the rifle, I guess it broke in some after the first 3000 pellets. Shot another 250, and it seems to be cocking as it should again. Kind of scared me at first, but then my brain started thinking about the cause.

I bought a Sniper XR from AoA at the "special" price in .22 caliber this August. Great gun, but the magazine quit working after about 250 pellets through it! It would advance about 4-5 rounds then I had to "help" it with my fingers. I took it apart and back again and nothing helped. Boy, you have to have great eyes to put the spring back in both holes! AoA is backordered on magazines, so I sent Brocock an email they said they would ship me a new magazine (I have to pay the postage). Great customer service! As all have said here, great quality in the product and the magazine is quite well made... I'm thinking I got a lemon. Like all others have said here, the gun will put pellets in the same hole at both 25 and 50 yards! Unfortunately @Harv24 this magazine didn't make a lifetime!

Reactions: L.Leon
I bought a Sniper XR from AoA at the "special" price in .22 caliber this August. Great gun, but the magazine quit working after about 250 pellets through it! It would advance about 4-5 rounds then I had to "help" it with my fingers. I took it apart and back again and nothing helped. Boy, you have to have great eyes to put the spring back in both holes! AoA is backordered on magazines, so I sent Brocock an email they said they would ship me a new magazine (I have to pay the postage). Great customer service! As all have said here, great quality in the product and the magazine is quite well made... I'm thinking I got a lemon. Like all others have said here, the gun will put pellets in the same hole at both 25 and 50 yards! Unfortunately @Harv24 this magazine didn't make a lifetime!
Order a couple mags from CARM. I have two for my Sniper XR .22 and they work great. Way cheaper than the Brocock mags as well.