• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Brocock Sniper XR for HFT?

I am looking to purchase my first PCP to begin attending some of the hunter field target events in Ohio. I've looked at most of the match reports for the past couple of years and everyone seems to be using the Red Wolf, Thomas, RAW or some other high priced rifle. I contacted AOA and they recommended the Brocock Sniper XR since I'm trying to keep my total spend (including scope and compressor) to around $3000. However, I do not see this rifle talked about much on this board. Does anyone happen to use one for HFT? Any feedback? Or suggestions for some other combo keeping the budget in mind. Thanks

First off, field target is an arms race, it's as much a competition to see who can spend the most as it is who can shoot the best. There are many who don't like that pointed out, but it's the truth, like it or not. THAT is why you see so many using expensive guns, well, that, and the "get what you pay for" concept. Because, honestly, those expensive guns usually do perform really well. 

I've shot two cousins to the Sniper XR that you're considering. What I'm calling cousins are the Concept Lite XR which I believe are the same general action, side lever, etc, but in a tubed version vs a bottle on the Sniper XR. The two Concept Lite XRs that I have shot were plenty accurate for field target. I shot one of them in a few matches and was in the top couple of highest scores of all classes. The second gun I had just last week doing trigger work for a buddy. I shot the one last week at 30 yards (nearly all touching) and at 55 yards (roughly 1 inch groups in 12mph winds). Field targets will be dropping with that accuracy.

You might make sure the Sniper XR can be appropriate for the power level limit. "Hunter field target events in Ohio" makes me think less than 20fpe and I seem to remember the Sniper XR being a high power gun? But perhaps it has the power wheel like the Concept Lite XR that can be turned down to be legal. 

The big difference you'll see between the Sniper and the other names you mention (Thomas, RAW, Red Wolf, etc) is likely to be in the trigger. But the part the matters (the barrel) will be a Lothar Walther in the Sniper, the Thomas, the RAW, and the Red Wolf.

Reactions: Arzrover
While I am a fan of Brocock:

and think the Brocock is a fantastic hunting PCP and can be very accurate there may be better choices for what you are wanting.

A Daystate Huntsmen, or Air Arms ..I buy used most of the time and see Daystate Wolfs for great prices.

I would not want a bullpup or anything near a bullpup for that sport.

You will get good advice here ,take your time and research.

Want to add the following....with the caveat that we're not including in this discussion the idea of the budget you're thinking of, because the mental limit of what you're willing to spend is likely to change as you go deeper anyway. 

The Sniper XR is likely a good way for you to figure out if you want to jump in the deep end of field target. If you do decide to jump in with both feet, you're likely to end up with one of the high end guns you mentioned anyway. So, two ways to approach this. The first is to go with the Sniper as a test bed to see if you enjoy ft, knowing that you will probably want to upgrade eventually. The other way is the mental stance of "buy once, cry once" that we often hear. 

Like @Franklink said FT is like golf, it’s all about looking good! Let’s be honest here, all these different hobbies are just a bunch of grown ass men bored and playing with our toys. Who cares what other people says as long as you are happy and entertained. Only you can be the judge on that.

Find an ammo that your gun likes and go shoot, who cares what the score looks like if you are having fun. We all pay to play so the end goal for me is entertainment value for my dollars, YMMV.

Reactions: Smitty911
I take exception to the comment, "just a bunch of grown ass men"!

I'll have you know, Sir, that I am only 68 years young... and hope I NEVER grow up!

LOL! You sir are my hero! With 2 small kids I need to at the very least put up a facade of being grown ass man. Hopefully I can aspire to be more like you once the kids are grown and gone! 😁

• Haha
Reactions: Larryt
As an experienced FT competitior I think a Daystate Huntsman regulated or nice AA, both in the $1500 range, are a great vlaue and place to start. Both guns are capable of winning at the national level in the right hands. True most of the top shooters are using pricey equipment, but many competetors way down the ranks are too, meaning you cannot buy a win. I see the arms race as more pride than necessity. Fortunatly I am at a stage of life now where I can afford a nice gun and enjoy using one for what few years I can continue to enjoy this sport.

I have been using a Sniper XR .177 for HFT for about a year now and have come to really like the gun, it is very accurate, has a great shot count, and feels very comfortable to me. Another guy in our club had one and I was able to try it a few times and really thought it was nice. I had narrowed my choice down to the Brocock XR or Daystate Hunstman, and a used Brocock XR came available and I went with it.

I currently shoot AA 10.34s at 880 fps for around 18 fpe. After those run out I have their cousins the FX 10.34s sitting in the wings! Both these jsb manufactured pellets shoot fine from my gun. I did add a Donny Tanto moderator to it, as it does have a little bark without it but it is super quiet with it. The trigger would be the weakest point on the gun, but not terrible by any means. Previously I shot HFT with a Marauder with the trigger lawyer spring removed and I will say I liked the Marauder trigger better. Franklink above just posted a how-to video a few weeks ago here on AGN on improving the Brocock trigger, I am considering that but I am feeling pretty comfortable with it now, so not sure I want to change things!

I only have about 2 years experience in shooting FT now, and often have days I just suck in my shooting lol, but I seem to be improving lately and I often stay competitive in scores in our club’s weekly FT meet with the higher dollar rigs like the Redwolfs and Thomases. Of course there is a lot more to doing well in FT than the gun such as experience, ranging, dope, reading the wind, how much coffee you drink before the meet…

My $02

A Brocock will be just fine. I recently purchased a Concept XR and I would not have any issue running it in a field target competition. I've shot many disciplines over the years. USPSA/IDPA/Service Rifle,etc....

Don't get hung up on the arms race. It's ALWAYS going to be the nut behind the trigger that is the biggest variable. Don't be the guy with a $3000 bolt gun and a $5K scope and all the doodads, who can't hit a 12" steel plate at 500 yds from a sand bagged bench....

Consistent application of the fundamentals with a good gun, decent trigger and decent ammo will win the day. And at the end of it all, it is supposed to be fun. I only compete against one person.... and he's typing this message.

Inherent ACCURACY is there .... So if the Brocock fits you and can figure a way to HOLD IT STEADY ENOUGH it has as good a chance in doing well as lessor expensive or more costly Air rifles.

In the game of FT ones AIR GUN is his/her TOOL !!! and with that having the correct fitting and functioning tool and knowing how to wield it ( SHOOTERS SKILL SET ) pays greater dividends that any fancy gear. Buying a Top Shelf FT guns sadly WON'T make you a better FT shooter .... Fact !

Scott S

Well, no better way to learn the answer than to just do it.

IMG_3541.1647567963.jpg

The .177 BRK Sniper XR would make a fine HFT rig. Listen, you can message almost anything to be competitive if it has a good bore. You hear folks say, “don’t get a bullpup for this game”!

I say why! I prefer bullpups. I’m actually new to FT and have had good success with 2 bullpups; .177 Daystate Renegade & .177 Kalibrgun Cricket 2 Tac. Get a good scope.

I can get a BRK Sniper trigger as good as any. Anywho, get in the game as it is a blast 😁

Here's another viewpoint. $3000 would get you in the game with a great scope and a top of the line springer. Or a great scope and two top of the line springers. Or a great scope, a top of the line springer tuned to 12 fpe with a custom stock, a shooting jacket, a bum bag and a subscription to Masochists Monthly.