Brocock Ranger XR

So I got a little trigger time with my new Ranger XR so I thought I would give my impressions and results.
First impression is that it is a solid well built gun. It actually seemed slightly heavy for its size, which is not to say it is heavy, it is a very small gun so only heavy for the size. This is not a criticism, because that little extra weight is what makes it so solid and well built.
Second impression is that the folding but stock has a lot of play, and I am not talking about play in the sliding length adjustment but I’d the pivoting, folding mechanism. I don’t love that play, but once shouldered it disappears and has no effect on accuracy.
Next, the cocking action is so smooth. It is a gem. And the magazine has to be my favorite I have used. I really like the flip down cover with the magnet holding it closed tight. I like the solid feel of the metal (aluminum I assume) magazine, and it like the cocking lever is buttery smooth. It loads into the gun so easy, just slides in and stops with a definite and perfectly aligned stop.
The shot count per fill is as expected, fairly low. Two magazines or 22 shots. Maybe I could get more, that is just staying with in the green on the gauge. A small gun with a small cylinder that is to be expected and that shot count does not bother me.
It is very quiet, the sound of the pellets hitting the trap are far louder than the report of the gun.
My only complaint is the large amount of play in the folding stock. I think I would have preferred the Atomic XR with the solid stock I’ve this folding stock, but like I said once you shoulder it that disappears so it is not much of a complaint. For what I got this gun for it is great. It inspires confidence both in just holding it and also in shooting it. It is a winner in my book, and I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it highly as L.Leon and other have recommended it.
I scoped it with an MTC SWAT 10x scope. This is my short range low powered gun so a 10x scope is perfect and I really like the size, weight, simplicity, and large field of view with this scope. I will follow up with the results of my first shot tests in a reply shortly.

Reactions: wolfmangreg
Nice! You can fill the Atomic/Ranger XR to 250 bar. Watch Steves' AEAC video on the Atomic XR. You should get at least 3 mags out of it. For sub forty yard work? I've been shooting mine down to 110 bar. Looking forward to your further impressions. Seems like the folding stock in the deployed position shouldn't wobble. Contact AOA and see what they say.

So my first shoot after sighting it in. I got a JSB .22 sampler with 13.4 gr Jumbo RS, 15.9 gr. Straton, 18.1 gr heavies, 25.4 gr. Monsters and I wanted to try out a lead free pellet so I also got a tin of Predator GTO’s, 11.75 gr.
I started with the lightest and worked up. From 30 yards, slight breeze. First target on the top left was the GTO’s full power. The next to the right was the GTO’s medium power, I thought as light as the GTO’s were they might do better on medium. I think they did, the vertical spread was less and the horizontal may have been wind aided as it was a cross breeze.
The next to the right is the RS’s. Looks a little better than the GTO’s. The bottom left is the Straton’s. These were the surprise for me. That is pretty near a single hole. Next over is the Heavies. Not bad, but not as good as the Straton’s. The second picture is the Monsters. They did about like the Heavies, but either way I wouldn’t intend to use them with this gun as the Ranger is specifically my low power gun. I am very happy with those Straton’s so that will be my go to pellet. Unless our Walmart has the Crossman Premiere’s and they prove to be as good as in L.Leon’s experience. I will at least give the Premiers a try if they are available local.

2060CAB5-7086-4653-B09D-674D58377938.jpeg

525DCEC4-669E-446E-9506-8BBF58359BF4.jpeg

Reactions: L.Leon
Nice! You can fill the Atomic/Ranger XR to 250 bar. Watch Steves' AEAC video on the Atomic XR. You should get at least 3 mags out of it. For sub forty yard work? I've been shooting mine down to 110 bar. Looking forward to your further impressions. Seems like the folding stock in the deployed position shouldn't wobble. Contact AOA and see what they say.
So I was only filling to 200 bar and shooting down to 110 ish. So filling to 250 should indeed net me 3 mags at high power.

So I got a little trigger time with my new Ranger XR so I thought I would give my impressions and results.
First impression is that it is a solid well built gun. It actually seemed slightly heavy for its size, which is not to say it is heavy, it is a very small gun so only heavy for the size. This is not a criticism, because that little extra weight is what makes it so solid and well built.
Second impression is that the folding but stock has a lot of play, and I am not talking about play in the sliding length adjustment but I’d the pivoting, folding mechanism. I don’t love that play, but once shouldered it disappears and has no effect on accuracy.
Next, the cocking action is so smooth. It is a gem. And the magazine has to be my favorite I have used. I really like the flip down cover with the magnet holding it closed tight. I like the solid feel of the metal (aluminum I assume) magazine, and it like the cocking lever is buttery smooth. It loads into the gun so easy, just slides in and stops with a definite and perfectly aligned stop.
The shot count per fill is as expected, fairly low. Two magazines or 22 shots. Maybe I could get more, that is just staying with in the green on the gauge. A small gun with a small cylinder that is to be expected and that shot count does not bother me.
It is very quiet, the sound of the pellets hitting the trap are far louder than the report of the gun.
My only complaint is the large amount of play in the folding stock. I think I would have preferred the Atomic XR with the solid stock I’ve this folding stock, but like I said once you shoulder it that disappears so it is not much of a complaint. For what I got this gun for it is great. It inspires confidence both in just holding it and also in shooting it. It is a winner in my book, and I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it highly as L.Leon and other have recommended it.
I scoped it with an MTC SWAT 10x scope. This is my short range low powered gun so a 10x scope is perfect and I really like the size, weight, simplicity, and large field of view with this scope. I will follow up with the results of my first shot tests in a reply shortly.
Part of the reason it's so heavy for it’s size is because it has a real barrel, not a metal soda straw disguised as a barrel. Brocock makes good, solid stuff.

How sure are we that the Ranger/Atomic can be filled to 250bar? I watched Steve’s (AEAC) review and he was certainly filling to 250, but the handbook, which is not Ranger/Atomic specific and doesn’t actually mention either by name, seems to suggest that the carbon bottle guns fill to 250 and the tube guns to 200 bar. In addition on the Brocock website there is a link to a review that states a 200 bar fill.

95B6C139-A33A-488B-9FAB-914C3CD65C63.png

How sure are we that the Ranger/Atomic can be filled to 250bar? I watched Steve’s (AEAC) review and he was certainly filling to 250, but the handbook, which is not Ranger/Atomic specific and doesn’t actually mention either by name, seems to suggest that the carbon bottle guns fill to 250 and the tube guns to 200 bar. In addition on the Brocock website there is a link to a review that states a 200 bar fill.

View attachment 281593
Yes, I read that article, that 200 BAR limit for the the UK version. You can contact AOA and see what they tell you. I've been filling mine from 240-250 BAR as my SCBAs allow. Haven't had any issues. When I purchased my Compatto way back, there was the same sort of confusion. In the UK they filled to 200 BAR, in the USA, the suggested full fill is 240 BAR. I didn't simply pull these numbers out of a hat. Call AOA.

Reactions: Redtick12