• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Brocock "Hype"

Hype?

I wouldn't call it hype. Advertising, promoting, making aware, generating interest.... sure.

I'm sure this pistol/carbine has its place for many people. How many of us have just one pcp anyway? I'm sure glad that I am in the USA and have options so I can make MY choice on what I want to buy. I appreciate those people out there making these reviews/videos/social media posts so I can be made aware of what's out there. If I had an extra $1500 laying around with nothing else left to interest me, I'd consider the new little Brocock. It interests me more as a carbine than a pistol. I'm not much of an air pistol guy. I prefer the fire breathing versions of pistols. But since I'm not in the market, I'll pass. 

EFCE33E9-F11C-4309-AFA1-D74E30AB9D44.1622433571.png

I had three Ataman AP16 and all three became defective within a month’s time each. Yes, the Ataman AP16 is an extremely accurate pistol but my personal experience and many online reviews of others was that the gun is prone to problems with the lever and cylinder leak issues. I’ve never seen the same such issues from any Brocock owners. I haven’t owned the Brocock Atomic XR yet but plan to pay $500 more for it when it’s back in stock. My reason’s why I’m willing to pay more are 1) the Atomic XR like the all the Brocock XR’s have a track record of being robust and reliable over repeated use, 2) the side lever action of the Atomic XR is extremely smooth and quick unlike the Ataman AP16, 3) the carbine stock is included in the Atomic XR whereas the carbine stock for the Ataman AP16 will cost you an additional $300 and you’ll pay an additional $40 for an adapter for the Ataman AP16 to use a silencer which is a must for the Ataman, 4) the Atomic gets more shots even on the highest power ( got 21 shots from the AP16 compact ) whereas you’ll get 33 minimum from the Atomic XR, and 5) the Atomic XR has variable power levels which is big plus for different shooting scenarios. So yes, if the Atomic XR proves to be as accurate as the Ataman AP16 than in my opinion it is worth $500 more.

@DMTman, you make good points about the Atomic. It is a solid platform, but to call it a pistol? The Atomic's attributes are not in question by me. if Brocock tried to sell the Atomic strictly as a pistol, many would pass just on its size alone, or add a stock to turn it into a mini-carbine. To call it a pistol? Include a pistol power adapter and stock and jack up the price? Please! It's great that you see no problem in paying the premium. Fact is there are a lot of other really good PCPs within striking range of the Atomic. Others have spoken to the price. Me I like the Atomic, but like @johnnypdx, said $1500. USD. is a lot of dinero, for some of us anyways.

As for the hype, it is simply what the airgun industry (and our society at large) has morphed into. Social media has created an altered reality situation in many aspects of our lives, not just our fun airgun hobby. Just the other evening on a walk with my wife we were talking about how crazy it is that people are not only supporting themselves, but living extremely opulent lifestyles by doing nothing but being social media influencers. It blows me away that these people are contributing nothing meaningful to society, no goods are produced, no services rendered, but somehow we (consumers and retailers) are falling at their feet in the form of our undivided attention, emulation, and (in the case of retailers) throwing products at them so they'll market them in a good light.

Sorry, bit of a rant there about the state of the world. 

Amen to that. I enjoy a quality video as much as the next guy but much of this stuff is just glorified advertising. And don’t get me started on my kids watching other people play video games instead of playing themselves lol.

There is also an inflation factor probably at play here. Good thing it's not lumber, ammo, or gasoline. How many of us would loose our 
Capture.1622402067.JPG
if airgun prices had doubled since November like so much else has?

I wonder if Brexit and tariffs are having an impact on Daystate and Brocock prices? I’ve noticed that some of their rifles are $300-$400 more expensive than they were last year.

Giles from airgun gear show is probably as honest as it gets when it comes to review and even he is very careful around negatives.

I used to love his videos but lately he’s limited the scope of the brands he reviews. I think it has something to do with his new store and exclusively agreements but he seems to mostly focus on Swedish products these days.

Giles from airgun gear show is probably as honest as it gets when it comes to review and even he is very careful around negatives.

I used to love his videos but lately he’s limited the scope of the brands he reviews. I think it has something to do with his new store and exclusively agreements but he seems to mostly focus on Swedish products these days.

that and he is probably making too much money off doing his store and site. 

Years ago a I bought a prod and added a huma reg, foldable and retractable stock, installed a MM barrel and tuned it to 18 ft-lbs for 30 shoots all for about $700. Not sure if you can do the same thing today but I'm sure you could get the same results and not spend more then $1,500. I'm more of a hunter and so in my opinion, its hard for me to spend that kind of cash. If you are a pistol target competitor and you feel this is perfect for you, I wish you the best. Just as long it's your own money and not mine I won't judge.

Years ago a I bought a prod and added a huma reg, foldable and retractable stock, installed a MM barrel and tuned it to 18 ft-lbs for 30 shoots all for about $700. Not sure if you can do the same thing today but I'm sure you could get the same results and not spend more then $1,500. I'm more of a hunter and so in my opinion, its hard for me to spend that kind of cash. If you are a pistol target competitor and you feel this is perfect for you, I wish you the best. Just as long it's your own money and not mine I won't judge.

I agree with wyshadow, a modded p-rod for half the money. 

If your primarily going to be using the Atomic as a carbine you might as well just get a compact BP such as a Taipan compact, Uragan short, Caiman standard etc... More power, better accuracy, better shot count and still light and short for about the same price...

Sometimes more power is not what we want, especially around a farm where liability is an issue. Being able to turn the gun down on the fly for close quarter indoor use for rats and then turn up for outside longer range pest control. I personally don't see a P-Rod meeting the quality of this by any means, certainly not the accuracy either. The gun meets specific needs like anything, for the pest control I use it for it's a great tool over many other guns I've used. 

I was watching a couple of the videos on the Atomic and I think it would be perfect if it were in .177. A really short carbine .177 putting out 18 ft-lbs, Huma regulated, adjustable transfer port, side lever, and getting 30 shots. As of today, my favorite pcp is my .177 Huntsman which is putting out the same amount of power as the Atomic. It would be freak'n awesome if I could get a smaller version but with all the upgrades as the Atomic and I wouldn't mind getting the lesser 30 shot count. For most pesting situations, 30 shots is plenty. Now if the cost was half what they are asking or even 1K, I would seriously think about buying one if it had everything I just said.

For that money I'd have to also look at a Taipan compact.

Spot on. Unless a person really wants a 6lb setup instead of an 8lb setup, the Taipan Compact is has more power, is quieter, has more shots, is cheaper, and is more adjustable.

I'm not bashing, this carbine is really cool and I would be very interested if I hadn't already pimped out a Prod.

For that money I'd have to also look at a Taipan compact.

Spot on. Unless a person really wants a 6lb setup instead of an 8lb setup, the Taipan Compact is has more power, is quieter, has more shots, is cheaper, and is more adjustable.

I'm not bashing, this carbine is really cool and I would be very interested if I hadn't already pimped out a Prod.

It is unfortunate because I really, really like the gun. But am passing solely on price.