Brocock Ghost First Impressions

In the three days of ownership of my Brocock Ghost Carbine .22, I can say that so far my experience is a positive one. I think three days make for sufficient time to assess the build quality by sight and feel of the gun’s exterior only and share my impressions here, and share a few thoughts on its power capabilities.

The build quality of the Ghost in one word is this: superb. Now that I'm able to hold it in my hands—after waiting for its arrival at AoA and viewing the available videos of it online—to get a feel of the finish and texture of the materials used, there is nothing I can say to downgrade what I’ve stated above. I’ve said it in another post that its build quality is like that of a fifth-generation fighter (yes, I've seen one up close in the metal at an open-house event at the Air Force base close to me). From the screws, which are appropriate in size for the torques to which they’re subjected, to the muzzle, to the rear end— fit and finish are excellent. Even the entire power adjuster unit itself has quite some heft to it because of the metals used—no plastic can be found on it. If you’re that type of dude, you’d consider it a jewelry piece! Now that’s what I call attention to detail.

The only nonmetal components, again on just the outside, are the cheekpiece and the shoulder pad, both of which seem to be made of ballistic polymer. To put it simply, should I ever run out of air while out on the field with a coyote after my tail, I’d have no problem holding the Ghost from its rear end to use it as a club to whack the animal and have the confidence to use it the next day for a competition.

Now for the manner in how the Ghost hurls pellets. Though the balanced valve is nothing new to the PCP scene, the one used in the Ghost (post-plenum) makes it possible to use an extremely light striking force to knock open the valve. It's also why the power wheel doesn’t provide major velocity adjustments because even at its lowest setting the discharge of air or the length of open-travel of the valve is already close to maximum. The reason for this is that unlike in a conventional valve, there is no high-pressure air behind the valve seat during the closing stroke of the cycle in a balanced valve because behind it is a chamber that is vented to atmospheric pressure; instead, it’s only the tension of the valve return spring that shuts the valve. That said, the OEM hammer spring rate is too high to allow any significant drops or increases in velocity for my intended application, which is to shoot at a low power level (for backyard plinking), and to increase shot count. In a sense, the OEM spring is too stiff to allow it. Even at a very low regulator pressure setting, e.g. 60 BAR, the velocity only drops by about 14 percent from the previous setting of 100 BAR! What’s that look like with a 14.3 Crosman Hollowpoint, you might ask? At 100 BAR with the power wheel set at its lowest setting the average velocity is 825 FPS, and at 60 BAR with the power still at the same setting the average velocity is 726 FPS. To get a wider adjustment range, therefore, I’d have to either swap the OEM spring for an extremely light-tension one or replace the OEM valve spring with an extremely stiff one (or do either of the two and put in a lighter hammer as well). This is also why the Ghost in its stock configuration isn’t very efficient with air if wanting to shoot at low power levels as are some of the conventional poppet-valve-type-equipped PCPs in their stock forms. But if you’ve been paying attention and reading in between, you’d understand clearly the reason for its design, and the one word to sum that up rhymes with “SHOWER.” This rifle is a beast, I tell yah!

It’s so easy to get the Ghost to put out super-magnum velocities because of its balanced valve system, and I think that it has been purposefully designed to allow it to do just that. Now, with the correct hammer/valve spring rate to shoot at medium- to low-power levels, just imagine the shot count one would have that doesn’t require smacking the Ghost’s valve really hard, and with a very low plenum pressure, all with a carbine having just a 300cc bottle. That’s what I’m going after with this gun.

In terms of power capabilities, the Ghost, in my opinion, might be a game changer.

Last edited:
Ever heard anyone say "this gun is just easy to shoot" ? Well that is the Ghost. It is calm and well mannered. It doesn't jump all over the place when you pull the trigger. If you watch carefully through the scope, you can actually see the pellet hit the target because the crosshair is still there. It feels sturdy but not too heavy.

Even with my Ghost HP, the reg is set at 130 bar and I use the power wheel on 16 or so. It throws the 25g MRD at 940-ish. And I can pull back the cocking lever with one finger. At 50 yards it is lights out. Any shot on a squirrel, anywhere in my back yard is going to be a pass through. So I keep that in mind. A headshot is just going to mean a hole on this side and missing head on the other. I have considered tuning it down a bit and shooting the 18's, but I'm having a good time blowing things up with it set up for the 25g. :) Blowing up soft drink cans full of water at 70 yards is just a ton of fun.

So far, I agree that the Ghost is going to change the way we think about power airguns. Nice report spinj (I wonder how hard it would be to get a .30 cal kit for this?)

Crusher

Well, I'm not sure I'd call all of the machining, and part fit-up..."superb". Check the American Air Arms line, or the Weihrauch guns if you want to see superb machining and part to part fit-up.
Some parts like behind the trigger plate, above the trigger, and the sear, back at the butt, yes, they did a very nice job with all of those parts.
But with such an expensive gun, a better trigger would have been nice. Maybe one more adjustment back at the sear, to get rid of the long pull from the wall to let-off would have been nice.

Easy to shoot is an odd comment. Most all of todays higher end guns are...easy to shoot. I've yet to have ANY of my .22's "jump all over". It's a lightweight projectile, afterall. And the/my gun is a little nose heavier than most of the bullpup design guns, that will surely control any...jumping around.

I contacted Airguns of Arizona again to day with more questions. I asked the guy that tested my gun, "how come he put 45 rounds through my gun. Was there a problem" ?
He said, "no, the gun was doing well, and the pressure needle was hardly moving. I wanted to see how far a Carbine would last, shot count wise." I said, "oh good, I was concerned you had to do some work that I should know about. We talked a little longer, nice guy.

My Carbine regulator was set to 100bar as received. Seems to hold fairly steady. It does seem to shoot a little fast (6/8 fps) the first two shots out of every magazine that I tested, then settles down to a much more even spread for the remaining shots. I did not alter the regulators setting. Not concerned about it as it's seems to be the same every time.
The power adjustment on my gun was set at #16 and shooting 899fps, (according to both my chronograph and the test sheet) when I received it. Unwinding the power wheel a couple of digits at a time, and test firing. I stopped at #2, for a speed of about 800fps. So it seems that my gun has a little wider power level spread than some.

I do like the overall design. With most of the guns workings protected inside of the heavy, one piece stock/receiver. Some seem to be worried about the o-ring that keeps the barrel centered at the outer support. Not a concern here. If the barrel is bumped, as long as the o-ring is pliable, the barrel will always find its zero, or stabilized position.

Will try some 25gr. pellets (been using 18.1 JSB) tomorrow, see how it shoots.

Mike

Why is "easy to shoot" odd? My Ghost has zero recoil, unlike some of my other guns. The trigger is butter, like 6 oz I think, and it fits well. When the gun is tuned properly, it feels "easy to shoot". Not comparing caliber, or pellet weight or anything else. The trigger is easy, the scope is very clear and the gun is tuned properly so that you don't have the violence in the action. And it is easy to cock. That makes it easy to shoot.

When my BRK Ghost .177 was set up as the Carbine with short barrel and 300 cc bottle, I got 90 shots in one fill 👍🙂

3715FC1A-DC8A-4E0D-BF81-03BF3204D51B.jpeg

I forgot to add that I think the limited travel of the power wheel, at least on the Ghost Carbine, is due to the balanced valve's ease of expelling air without unnecessarily striking the hammer hard, as doing so would just be wasting air.
Partly, yes I agree. There has been a bit of discussion in various places about how the power wheel doesn't effect the velocity much. I've found that the range of fps from the power wheel is directly related to the settings. You're mentioning a low reg pressure, and at a low reg pressure it doesn't seem to matter if you hit the valve harder, the low reg pressure is the fps limiting factor.

Generally speaking, it seems that as a guy gets higher than necessary (for desired pellet) reg pressures, the fps range offered via "min" and "max" on the hammer spring tension wheel grows. Or, in other words, if you're not getting much fps spread from the hammer spring wheel, but are also happy with the speed you're getting (again, for desired pellet), your reg pressure is probably pretty close to being at a good place for that pellet/speed.

(caveat is that I tend to gravitate towards as low of a reg pressure as possible for the pellet/speed I'm after, assuming it'll be consistent there).

So here's my Ghost Carbine in its final configuration. Initially, I put my Bugbuster to try keep it as light as can be but decided to mount my Vortex Diamondback FFP instead for more magnification, as the photos show below. Also, I've changed the hammer spring for a lighter one and achieved my goal of getting it to shoot at 9 FPE--plenty enough power for backyard practice and pest control.
1671724691209.png

1671724783345.png

This gun is made for enormous power, and to achieve such magnum power VERY EASILY. But because I also want magnum shot count, if you will, 9 FPE allows me to attain it. I gave up counting the number of shots at the current power setting at shot number 288. The regulator pressure is set at 50 BAR, the lowest number on the gauge, and the power wheel is set at #4. Remaining bottle pressure was still over 100 BAR at shot 288; obviously, there was still plenty more shots to be had. Also, I find that the power wheel provides more variance between each setting with the light-tension spring I installed and at the lowest reg setting.

Current Dislikes
I'm not too fond of the two vent holes at the end of the stock moderator and the vent holes and strips on the 0DB moderator. To my ears the report is actually louder. Further, because the vented air also carries lead dust, which will progressively become greater as more and more lead dust is collected within both moderators' chambers, this would present greater exposure to inhaling it as the vented air is diverted sideways. So, my remedy to that is to cover the vent holes and wrap the 0DB vent holes with camo wrap. The bonus to doing this is that it makes the report even quieter. My Kalibrgun Cricket (first generation) is my benchmark for ultra quiet at about the same power level. Without any sound measuring device, my ears tell me that the Ghost is at the Cricket's level of quietness but with a different sound signature.

Last edited:
Likes So Far (not mentioned in first post)
Sliding picatinny rail -- being able to slide the rail on a dovetail rail solves the problem of not having enough range for difficult-to-work-with scopes. Plus, it gives the shooter both dovetail- and picatinny-style mounting options for scopes.

Balanced valve -- in my opinion, the next-generation in PCP valve technology because no longer will there be broken valve stems due to striking valves too hard just to achieve high power. The Ghost's balanced valve system lends itself to many avenues to explore when seeking power-setting combos and efficiency.

Cocking action -- very smooth cycling. Because of the balanced valve's ability to make power without over-tensioning hammer springs, cocking the lever is done with very little effort even at high power settings.

Last edited:
Reactions: piffy
So here's my Ghost Carbine in its final configuration. Initially, I put my Bugbuster to try keep it as light as can be but decided to mount my Vortex Diamondback FFP instead for more magnification, as the photos show below. Also, I've changed the hammer spring for a lighter one and achieved my goal of getting it to shoot at 9 FPE--plenty enough power for backyard practice and pest control.
View attachment 315978
View attachment 315979

这把枪是为巨大的力量而制造的,并且非常容易地获得如此大的力量。但是因为我也想要大酒瓶射击数,如果你愿意的话,9 FPE 可以让我达到它。我放弃了计算当前功率设置下的射击次数,即第 288 次射击。调节器压力设置为 50 BAR,压力表上的最低数字,动力轮设置在 #4。在第 288 次射击时,剩余的瓶子压力仍然超过 100 BAR;显然,还有很多机会。此外,我发现动力轮在我安装的轻张力弹簧和最低调节设置的每个设置之间提供了更多差异。

目前不喜欢
我不太喜欢股票调节器末端的两个通风孔和 0DB 调节器上的通风孔和条带。在我听来,报告的声音实际上更大。此外,由于排出的空气还携带铅尘,随着越来越多的铅尘收集在两个慢化器室内,铅尘会逐渐变大,当排出的空气转向侧面时,吸入铅尘的风险会更大。所以,我的补救办法是盖住通风孔并用迷彩布包裹 0DB 通风孔。这样做的好处是它使报告更加安静。我的 Kalibrgun Cricket(第一代)是我在大约相同功率水平下超静音的基准。在没有任何声音测量设备的情况下,我的耳朵告诉我 Ghost 处于 Cricket 的安静水平,但具有不同的声音特征。