Brocock/BRK Brocock Bantam Sniper HR & New Tripod Setup. Advice and Criticism are Welcome

After reading posts, perusing several websites, and communicating with a few members I pulled the trigger on this Innorel RT85C tripod.

19722A76-F59E-44D7-8F87-69A9213C55AD.1632853532.jpeg

I also got a picatinny to arca plate adapter and a BOG Great Divide head (it was on sale and I didn’t research heads as much as tripods). Suffice it to say these items were enough to get me started. This setup pairs acceptably with my .25 Brocock Bantam Sniper HR/Alpha 6 scope. I intend to purchase a better head for this tripod and already have my eye on one. I also would like to grab a bowl adapter.

00DDA6BA-322C-4C97-863A-697BB7A87E2C.1632855071.jpeg

I’ve taken this setup out twice so far and this picture of group #9 was the group I was most pleased with shooting from 50 yards using 13x magnification. These are 10 shot groups. I only recently began practicing more regularly from 50 yards with this rifle.
7E732320-F4FD-4B70-995B-73108D69E213.1632853688.jpeg

Each circle on this target measures just under 2”. I see several airgunners on this site shooting great groups - some dime sized, others better. I wish to improve my groups, so I’m hoping some of you can provide some input on exercises or practices that may help. One of the most vexing issues I have is the amount of force needed to cock back the bolt on the Bantam in order to properly index the next round. I’m always moving the rifle to do this and it’s almost as tough to cock as modified big bore slug shooter that I own. I sometimes find myself breaking my cheek-weld in the process. Then I have to readjust my weight in the chair so I’m not leaning against the but too hard, relax my grip around the tripod and head, and find my POA again (point of aim, I think that’s the correct term). With this cheap head it’s a bit of a pain to readjust the tilt knob because it doesn’t hold too steady once tightened down. Another thing that happens is that I can get anxious and pull shots as well.

021B81D2-AA85-4BF9-83BC-4B38C1606065.1632854400.jpeg

I’ve shared openly that I come from a dog hunting background, so shooting was a very small part of the hunt. When I did shoot it was with open sites, frequently upwards, and nothing was climbing 50 yards up. With that said, I’m open to input on improving my setup and shooting. Let her rip!

*Edited to add data from a couple of shot strings* I shot .25 JSB King Heavy Diabolo pellets 33.95 grain on the highest power setting (there’s an external knob on the side that adjusts how much air flows through the transfer port). Reg set to around 155.
75DAB746-38DD-4E8E-AAD0-DEAEA95B1AB9.1632856157.jpeg

7035938C-FE95-406D-BB7A-3161B96C73CF.1632856131.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: BluegrassBill2020
At 50 yards with your super nice range I would bump the power up to 850fps, think you can crank up the hammer spring to do that. or try lower the regulator pressure if hammer spring is maxed out. I never owned that gun but I’m sure it can shoot faster than that, maybe other can chime in. 

Nice setup, are you going to use that setup for pesting/hunting or target shooting? 

Next step get a 44-50+mm ballhead, looks good though. The bigger the easier it is to lock tight without having to really crank on it. I have an Artcise-lb52 and I went through a few smaller ones before I found this one. The Demon 44 is pretty good too.

That’s great to hear. I was looking Articise heads in that range. I haven’t decided between the N52mm or the LB52mm. The difference that I noticed is that the N52 has a lower profile. Who makes the Demon 44?

At 50 yards with your super nice range I would bump the power up to 850fps, think you can crank up the hammer spring to do that. or try lower the regulator pressure if hammer spring is maxed out. I never owned that gun but I’m sure it can shoot faster than that, maybe other can chime in. 

Nice setup, are you going to use that setup for pesting/hunting or target shooting? 

Thank you. I was actually discussing tuning with another member recently. I’d like to start adjusting the hammer spring before adjusting the reg. I’ve had the reg set at 140-145 before, but didn’t get chrony numbers for it. After I had the reg serviced, the smith adjusted it to 155. I want to get into the 800-850fps range with the heavier pellets on the highest setting. I didn’t feel like taking the stock off the day of those shot strings because I haven’t done anything to this rifle in terms of tuning so I figured it would take longer than usual figure out on the first run which would have cut into my shooting time. Earlier that day I’d already taken time to remount my scope for better eye relief. 

I’d like to use the tripod for all of the situations you mentioned. It’s much more convenient to haul and use than my flimsy shooting table. It came with a case so I can sling it over my shoulder and still have both hands free. I’d like to get set up for some rabbit and hog shooting. I figure that I’ll work my way out to proficiency at 100 yards with the tripod and be ready for the hogs. Unless you bait and sit in a blind or something I don’t see them coming too close. For pesting purposes, I’m not in the habit of baiting nuisance animals when I can’t kill them all as they take the bait. I feel like doing that invites them back to the place I’m trying to rid of them. I figure if I’m going to hunt and pest with the tripod my practice should be as close to my real world application, so yea, more target practice with it. 

Losing your cheek weld while cocking the gun, will happen, especially if the gun is difficult to cock. You should take it as an opportunity to then reestablish that good cheek weld. You mention repositioning your weight in the chair, gripping the tripod just so, etc. I believe all the extra monkey motions are affecting your shots. I would shoot that gun off a solid table, with a good bipod/front rest and rear bag, a decent chair and establish a good, realistic accuracy baseline at 50 yards for you, and then try the tripod. You mention rushing some shots, ten shots are a lot of shots to group and does become a mind game. Why not concentrate on getting 1/2" to 3/4" five shot groups at 50 yards? Then when you are consistently achieving that you can try those ten shot groups again. Good luck.

Losing your cheek weld while cocking the gun, will happen, especially if the gun is difficult to cock. You should take it as an opportunity to then reestablish that good cheek weld. You mention repositioning your weight in the chair, gripping the tripod just so, etc. I believe all the extra monkey motions are affecting your shots. I would shoot that gun off a solid table, with a good bipod/front rest and rear bag, a decent chair and establish a good, realistic accuracy baseline at 50 yards for you, and then try the tripod. You mention rushing some shots, ten shots are a lot of shots to group and does become a mind game. Why not concentrate on getting 1/2" to 3/4" five shot groups at 50 yards? Then when you are consistently achieving that you can try those ten shot groups again. Good luck.

When you put it that way, 5-shot groups sound like they're worth a try. I’m also working on getting a solid type of table. I’ve seen something that I’ve been wanting to get my hands on. Thanks for the suggestions. 

When shooting, are you seated or stand up?

To be able to have less movement when shooting you need a good rest for your right elbow and your back.

Those groups are to open for the distance. Check which pellets are better for your rifle.

Remove the weaver rail and check that the barrel is fully tighten.

Remove the shroud and check that the donut screwed to the tip of the barrel is duly placed.

I suffered a lot with my Bantam Sniper HR .25 Cal, but now it is a reliable hunting rifle (I had to change the barrel for a Poligonal LW one.

To be able to have less movement when shooting you need a good rest for your right elbow and your back.

Those groups are to open for the distance. Check which pellets are better for your rifle.

Remove the weaver rail and check that the barrel is fully tighten.

Remove the shroud and check that the donut screwed to the tip of the barrel is duly placed.

I suffered a lot with my Bantam Sniper HR .25 Cal, but now it is a reliable hunting rifle (I had to change the barrel for a Poligonal LW one.

I was seated while taking those shots. Your suggestions are things I hadn’t considered. Thank you. I hope I don’t have to change the barrel. The width of the groups are likely due to shooter error. At least I hope it is. 

Next step get a 44-50+mm ballhead, looks good though. The bigger the easier it is to lock tight without having to really crank on it. I have an Artcise-lb52 and I went through a few smaller ones before I found this one. The Demon 44 is pretty good too.

That’s great to hear. I was looking Articise heads in that range. I haven’t decided between the N52mm or the LB52mm. The difference that I noticed is that the N52 has a lower profile. Who makes the Demon 44?

Called the Desmond Demon db-44, but I'd go for the artcise for a bit more.

Called the Desmond Demon db-44, but I'd go for the artcise for a bit more.

I saw the Demon and I like the oversized knobs. For the price difference I also think the Articise is a good option.

@Emu I shot from a folding chair with no arm rests.

I find my Bantam HR HP is much easier to cock by turning the rear part of the scope rail around and placing my thumb on the flat surface it created.

@Shoot44 I haven't flipped the dove to picatinny adapter, but I do use the slanted portion on the end of the adapter to brace my thumb while cocking the bolt.

After making two separate HST adjustments I got it up to around 800fps today. I should have it adjusted to the range I want it by sometime tomorrow.

1st adjustment. 
CE3D2EA2-4D60-443F-9000-8DE4D84D27ED.1633216830.jpeg

2nd adjustment 

E8C112C8-AD3C-4243-9231-89747346F596.1633216870.jpeg

I’m making quarter and half turns on the screw. I’m not so sure what to expect if I turn it in too far. Had to turn it in for the day because I ran out of direct sunlight and couldn’t get good chrony readings any longer. 

I definitely noticed a difference though. The first shot string blasted material out of the back of my pellet trap at 25 yards. When I moved it out to 50 yards, two groups also pushed material out of the back of the trap. 

Changed heads to this Innorel N52.
6F36A8D6-1190-4933-AD59-23B602FDCEA6.1633923698.jpeg

This is a welcomed step up. One slight hitch to work out with it. The ball is hollow and has a large hole in the bottom of it. The mounting screw that the head is attached to extends into the hole and limits my range of motion, especially vertically. I tried to get my sights on some crows and was unable to tilt the head far enough to see them. I’ll have to explore other mounting options. 
Today I got the Bantam Sniper HR tuned to shoot JSB King Heavy MKIIs (33.95 grain) averaging 827 fps with a high of 834 fps and an average of 51.48 fpe. 
BF2830CE-F5B4-4A8E-9D77-13174980F4A5.1633926833.jpeg

Groups at 35 yards look good. Couldn’t get a good chronograph reading at my 50 yard mark because it was somewhat cloudy today. The hammer spring felt tight at the point where I stopped turning it. I also noticed it backed off a little from my last adjustment. Guess I’ll have to Lock-Tite the tensioning screw once I determine that I’m satisfied with the velocity. 

A couple of 10 shot groups at 35 yards in pretty consistent 15 mph wind gusts off the tripod with the new head. I was pleased with the grouping in the target’s vitals area. 
4B311596-584C-4D00-8712-0501C4F17FF5.1633926474.jpeg

The last groups looks awesome and I am sure you can do that at 50 yards as well.

Both head and vitals are kill shots. I have monkeyed with a decent tripod + arca setup and it AIN'T as steady as a bipod + bench + rear bag and that's OK.

I don't expect apples and oranges to be the same thing here and the tripod is a fantastic shooting solution for pesting /plinking anywhere it's impossible to haul a concrete bench to :). Tables, portable or whatever, are a PITA and the tripod beats all that hassle.

You are ON THE MONEY!

Looks like your getting good results. That is some great grouping in such a strong wind, very nice.

@L-Leon Thanks. I’m really curious about what distance the wind really begins to affect POI. I attributed the variance in group on the head shots to me moving the rifle. The ball head doesn’t hold it perfectly still there’s still som play involved. However, on my other target at 50 yards I shot some 5 and 10-shot groups and I had to use as much as a Mil in windage to keep my shots on target in some of the gusting. At 35 yards the pellets didn’t seem as affected. There are also trees and other plants at different point breaking the wind between myself and the target. I placed a flag close to the target to gauge the wind because that area is the least obstructed. Any thoughts on what distance from the target wind becomes a critical factor?

I have the same ball head. Really great features for not a lot of money.

@Mr-H I like it so far. How is yours mounted? Have you experienced a mounting screw protruding into the bottom of the ball and interfering with the ball’s range of motion? I may have to post pics to explain what’s going on more clearly. 

The last groups looks awesome and I am sure you can do that at 50 yards as well.

Both head and vitals are kill shots. I have monkeyed with a decent tripod + arca setup and it AIN'T as steady as a bipod + bench + rear bag and that's OK.

I don't expect apples and oranges to be the same thing here and the tripod is a fantastic shooting solution for pesting /plinking anywhere it's impossible to haul a concrete bench to :). Tables, portable or whatever, are a PITA and the tripod beats all that hassle.

You are ON THE MONEY!

Thanks for the encouraging words. My 50 yard groups are not as tight on a consistent basis, but I’m getting there. I think a couple of those head shots would have sent the critter scampering away in pain to die relatively slowly. I need the shots to hit and send the rodents tumbling out of the trees. They’re ambling around at a good 15-30 yards up. It typically looks more windy in the canopy of the trees. I still have work to do, but this speed seems to be closer to the result I’m looking for.

Your comment on the utility and convenience of using tripods is spot on. That’s exactly why I went for this setup.

I have the same ball head. Really great features for not a lot of money.

@Mr-H I like it so far. How is yours mounted? Have you experienced a mounting screw protruding into the bottom of the ball and interfering with the ball’s range of motion? I may have to post pics to explain what’s going on more clearly. 

I ran out of time today, I'll post some pictures tomorrow