Brocock Bantam Sniper HR - Information thread

Rico - With EBR ending today, the AoA guys will be back in the store tomorrow (they’ve been closed Thurs, Fri, Sat, Sun), though I expect tomorrow may be an incredibly busy day for them. My mid week, things should be pretty well settled down to normal again at AoA.

In all likelihood, they can send the parts to convert to the screw adjustment.

If you remove those two screws at the bottom of the receiver, the parts will easily come out and you can see what’s going on in there. It’s not a difficult nor complex thing to do. You’ll need to take them out anyway to convert to the large screw. It will be interesting to see what’s in there compared to what the rest of us have.

Yup will do, I wonder if they will be able to help out with the magazine too. A lot of the reviews did mention the magazine issues though. If they can't help I will stick to single shot tray for targets and use magazine for hunting.

I used the mags (Bantam Beech Hi-Lite, Bantam Sniper HR, and Red Wolf) for a short bit and they worked fine for me. But for my usual benchrest back yard shooting, I find that the single shot tray is more enjoyable, and I like the pace of it, so I rarely use the mags.

I can see where you'd definitely want to use the mag for walk-around/hunting/pesting - they're awesome for that.

#s on my HR from AoA!
1539558432_18775262145bc3cc20d5bc76.56892300_20181014_180619.jpg

Guys great news sniper came in the top three, the shooter was Claudio Flores, from the Patagonia region of Chile. It goes to to show that in the hands of the right shooter the Bantam can not just run with the big dogs, but come out on top.

The Bantam Sniper HR can definitely keep up with its big brother, the Red Wolf! It may not be as luxurious to operate, but it's a good shooter!

So I was watching the "Airgun Show" on YouTube and they showed a clip of the Brocock Bantam sniper production. It looks like my gun is straight from England in unmodified condition. I will definitely have to have a talk with AOA about getting this sorted out. I'm a bit disappointed considering they had delayed my gun for shipment to fix a problem. I'm not sure how they missed this.

Here is a picture from the show, as you can see they all look like mine. 

1539564158_6572682665bc3e27e0afc31.04538939_20181014_203740.jpg

So I was watching the "Airgun Show" on YouTube and they showed a clip of the Brocock Bantam sniper production. It looks like my gun is straight from England in unmodified condition. I will definitely have to have a talk with AOA about getting this sorted out. I'm a bit disappointed considering they had delayed my gun for shipment to fix a problem. I'm not sure how they missed this.

Here is a picture from the show, as you can see they all look like mine. 

1539564158_6572682665bc3e27e0afc31.04538939_20181014_203740.jpg

Rico... would you please send a link to that YouTube video?

My Sniper is at about 700 round shot count now and accuracy consistency has been settling in very nicely. I've been evaluating some different power tunings and a variety of pellet weights (14.3, 15.89, 18.13, 21.14, 25.39, and 25.39 re-designed). In discussions with brizzi, I'm coming to very similar conclusions that he has come to, with regard to power tune settings and pellet weight selection.

With the Huma reg set to 140 bar and the hammer tension screw backed off to be flush with the rear of the receiver, I'm getting about 160 shots from a 90 bar fill (from 240 bar down to 150 bar), the gun is shooting very quietly, and the cocking effort is comfortable. And I'm getting nice, increasingly consistent groups with the JSB 18.13 pellets. Here are some groups at 35 yards today, with a somewhat breezy condition. Five shots at each bullseye.

Just for interest sake, I tried my Bantam Sniper without moderator on it this afternoon. To my great surprise, nearly disbelief, I found that it was about as quiet as when I had the Shogun moderator on it! The way Brocock has shrouded this barrel - using a very beefy girth shroud, with a large space before the end cap - moderates the sound incredibly well, all by itself!

Huma reg is set to 140 bar and the hammer tension screw is turned back to be flush with the rear of the receiver. I get about 160 shots per fill with these settings. And excellent performance. I could get more power out of the gun (if I wanted it) with greater hammer tension and a higher Huma reg setting, but I don't need it, nor want it. For my purposes with this rifle, the settings I'm using are perfect!

More power isn't always 'better'. There are some wonderful advantages with the gun tuned for slightly less power. Plus, it's easy to tune it up for more power, if and when that is desired. (I'll just grab my Red Wolf .22HP for 'more power'.)

With these settings, I'm getting awesome groups with JSB 18.13s (the best groups I've had, when compared with 14.3,15.89, 21.14, and 25.39 RD). And, massive shot count per fill (160 shots from 240 bar down to 150 bar). Plus!!! VERY quiet output, without need for a moderator.

Clearly, my Sniper LOVES the JSB 18's and I'm going to stick with them in this rifle now. And such quiet operation! So quiet that I doubt that I will use a moderator with this rifle. I prefer both the looks and handling without the moderator, as well.

Now that I have the pellet choice and the power tuning done, I'm exceptionally pleased with this rifle. And really thrilled with not needing any moderator on it.

Final testing today with 14.3, 15.89, 18.13, 21.14, and 25.39 pellets. Five shots per bullseye (except 10 on bullseye #12). 60 degrees cold. Light breeze. 35 yards.

JSB 18.13's winner-winner-chicken-dinner! JSB 15.89 was the runner-up. This rifle LOVES the 18.13's.

Aztec Emerald 5.5-25x50 FFP Illuminated reticle scope is fantastic, as well. I like the SFP version also, but this FFP version is even better.

When I first bought this rifle, I was getting erratic groups and was initially thinking about returning it. (Turns out I was getting pellet clipping with my Huggett. And the scope wasn't snugged down as well as it should have been.) With bzizzi's encouragement (he had a similar experience when he first had his Sniper), I decided to stick with it and get things sorted out. Now, pellets sorted, power tuned, and at a shot count of 820 or so, I couldn't be happier with how this has all turned out. And I'm sure that the rifle (and my shooting) will only continue to get better with more use.

So a note on pellets. I had originally decided to go with the JSB 18.13 like everyone suggested. I also decided to give the Hatsan H&N Sniper Magnum Pellets 17.90 a try since they were similar weight, and wouldn't reguire much scope adjustment. So while weighting and sizing pellets I noticed the JSB's were very very inconsistent. Having a difference in weight of 0.60 grains. The sizes also seemed to be eratic. Don't get me wrong they weren't terrible, I was getting nickle sized groups at 20 yards with the sorted pellets. I was pretty much set with the JSB's but I thought since I have the H&N I'll do 2 five shot groups of sorted pellets. So while sorting I noticed they weights were MUCH more consisted with 60 percent of pellets only having a 0.10 grain difference, and a max spread of 0.30 grains. This peaked my interest. While sizing them I also noticed fewer defects in skirt and they were very consistent in size. So walked out to backyard and started testing. First shot was a little high, second shot disappeared. At first I was annoyed and thought I pulled it or had a flyer, but I realized no it just entered they same exact hole. Long story short I was pretty much getting 1 ragged hole at 20 yards in BOTH 5 shot groups. So while going from nickle to 1 ragged hole isn't a huge deal, but we are all aiming to get the best out of our rifles right? I also noticed the magazine does not like the traditional diablo shape. They rattle around and will fall out if placed in pocket. The H&N fits nicely in magazine. So gents try feeding your sniper some H&N and let me know your results.