Brocock Bantam Sniper HR - Information thread

Wow that looks sharp, hope it shoots well for you, i sure enjoy mine!

Thanks.

When chatting with Robert at AoA on Saturday, about the Bantam Sniper HR, he told me that AoA is the creator of this model. AoA did the concept and design work for it and asked Brocock to produce it, so essentially, it’s AoA’s baby.

The gun is very easily “tunable” (hammer pressure and regulator pressure) - as our resident, bzizzi, can attest to. He’s done a lot of experimenting with tuning his Sniper HR. The key is finding that perfect combination of hammer and regulator settings to achieve the performance you are looking for.

When using a Huggett Universal taken off of my Red Wolf .22HP, I had a bout of pellet clipping (considered quite common, apparently) which gave me erratic groups. AoA is going to rectify my Huggett clipping issues by reaming out the center hole on a lathe.

In the meantime, I switched to another moderator that I had on hand (a .25 cal. DonnyFL Shogun) and have no clipped issues. A lot of folks will buy a moderator at one caliber larger than their rifle caliber to help ensure no clipping issues - for example a .25 caliber moderator on a .22 rifle.

Excellent shooter so far at around 225 rounds. I expect that in time (around 1000 rounds) it will shoot even tighter and the action will be even smoother.

If you want to adjust your hammer tension screw, note the position and depth of your original setting. Mine was about .065" deep from rear of action and positioned thusly:

With the guidance of our resident bzizzi, I lightened my trigger pull to 16 oz. tonight (from factory 32 oz.) and cleaned the hammer weight and hammer weight channel to be sure it was free of any complicating issues. Easy-peasy. I may tweak the hammer spring tension and regulator pressure in future, but right now, I'm content with where they are set (.065" recessed from rear of action, and 150 BAR respectively.)

Looking forward to another session from the back porch tomorrow!

For reference - to remove action from the stock you will need (I believe) a 5mm allen wrench.

To adjust the trigger pull weight (2nd stage) you will need a 1.5mm allen wrench. (Go by 1/4 steps with this! CW to lighten, CCW to make heavier.) Mine required 5/8 turn CW to lighten from 2 lbs. to 1 lb.

BE SURE THE RIFLE ISN’T COCKED BEFORE DOING THIS: To remove the hammer tension screw & spring & hammer weight (two retention screws) you will need a 3mm allen wrench.

To reinstall the hammer weight, you will likely need to hold the trigger back when reinstalling.

1539181176_13824608735bbe0a78dd9973.61270271_C7C87C9E-E067-4BFC-8D39-AB7F574C8E0D.jpeg
1539181178_2210244685bbe0a7a77b8c1.65433447_2DB057B1-0528-411E-AF9A-94EE6676758F.jpeg

Here is my Sniper, I also have an Aztec Emerald on the way. Added a bipod as well.

Think you all are helping me decide on what .25 to put next to my other .25 after all you can’t have just one hahaha plus it will give me a excuse to try out a Aztec FFP scope, have two Aztec SFP scopes already and like them both but unfortunately I will have to wait untill I have my heart surgery or get my new pacemaker to see how much money I’ll have left over, I find out Oct 30th what the Heart Surgin wants or is going to do to me.

This rifle is incredibly easy to tune! I decided to try a lighter hammer tension and lower regulator pressure. I backed off the hammer tension by 1/2 turn (counter-clockwise) and decreased the Huma reg pressure from 150 bar to 130 bar (clockwise movement about 1/2 turn, several small turns at a time immediately after firing it ) - for launching 15.89 gr pellets at my 35 yard targets. Easy adjustments to make: they eased the hammer cocking effort, rifle uses less air, and decreases noise-level. I also lightened the trigger pull from 2 lbs to 1 lb. All of these adjustments were easy and quick to do, with excellent results.

I’m really enjoying this rifle! Thanks to AoA for conceiving the rifle and to Brocock/Daystate for producing it! And thanks to bzizzi for all of the tuning information he has shared here.

That's great to hear, my rifle should be here tomorrow. I've already weight and and sized some JSB 18.13 diablo pellets to within 0.16 grains of each other. With an average being 18.16 grains. It's amazing the spread in weight in pellets. I saw a spread in weight from 17.90-18.58 grains. I need to get a chronograph the really see how consistent the rifle is now that I I will be using weighed and sized pellets. I bet the shot string would really tighten up with these "match" grade pellets. 

I notice that a lot of folks are shooting the .22 Batam Sniper HR so I guess my question is does anyone one have stats/shot strings on the .25 shooting 25.39 JSBs, my shooting is 99% steel targets from 50 yards out to 100 yards and I’d like to be in that 850-900 FPS area and for a .25 caliber it seems like the Sniper would be another nice rifle to have like the wildcat to shoot steel at these distances and hunt small critters with but it’s hard to find real stats on the .25 caliber being it seems most like the .22 for other reasons, I’m not confined or limited to back yard shooting like a lot of folks are and I don’t have to worry about neighbors I would just like to have another .25 in my arsenal that doesn’t break the bank and is a good shooter/hitter.

Jim F.

I think most prefer the 22 because it's the best shot count to fpe ratio out of the other calibers. My understanding is that the regular Bantam's velocity and shot count fell off greatly once you went to the 25, I'm not sure if the sniper is the same though. You also loose the sling shot hammer system in the 25. I'm sure the 25 will serve you purpose of shooting steel perfectly, and give you a greater shot count than your current wildcat though. I personally chose the 22 because of the greater shot count, I and didn't need the extra power of the 25. 

Jim... I think for your application, the .25 is a great choice. My first PCP was a Bantam Beech Hi-Lite in .25 caliber (traded for a Red Wolf) and it was a great rifle!

I went with .22 because I don't need more power (I have a RW .22HP for higher power) and I wanted to tune the .22 for lower power, quieter, 35 yard paper punching, and I like the commonality of same caliber as my Red Wolf.