Brocock Atomic / Ranger XR thoughts and testing.

I recently sold my Leshiy 2 .25 / 250mm and Crosman 1720 and bought a .22. Brocock Ranger XR from Airguns of Arizona.

First --- I had a great experience with AoA. Really awesome customer service and patience answering questions for a couple weeks before I pulled the trigger.

I wanted the robustness and extremely small folded size of the L2 and the accuracy of the 1720 in one package, and I was willing to sacrifice semi auto. The LW barrel of the Ranger XR coupled with their well established XR action seemed to be a match, and the accessories the Ranger comes with meant I would be "all in" with the initial purchase. The ability to mount a light on a side rail specifically was important to me for night time pest duty. I also wanted to move to hand pumping --- this is a personal preference thing but the small cylinder and fundamental efficiency of the Ranger was appealing.

20230528_101857.jpg

20230527_161952.jpg

First, the bad --- The ranger isn't a perfect gun. The pressure gauge is in the wrong spot. In 2023, I shouldn't need to violate fundamental gun safety rules to check my pressure. Second, the safety is inside of the trigger guard --- the safety itself is great, positive, clicky, etc, but don't make me put my finger inside the guard to go in safe. Third and final --- there's no double loading prevention which is a minor quibble but I have done it twice in the ~2k rounds I've got through the gun.

Now, the good: The fit and finish on the gun is great, it is extremelly robust --- my 1720 always made me feel like I was going to break it. The surface treatment is a mystery, but feels good to the touch and I think will hold up well. The trigger was great for me out of the box. It's likely heavier stock than some people like, but the second stage breaks crisply and consistently and I would never be nervous about it in the field. Fundamentally, the gun is more accurate than I am. Out to 25 yards it is literally hole in hole, and if I really pay attentuon I'm getting slightly un 1/2 inch 11 shot groups center to center at 30 yards. I did extensive testing of a wide variety of pellets at a variety of hammerspring adjustments with the port wide open. The final tune --- JSB 16gr right around 700fps ended up being exactly the settings that AoA sent me thr gun at. There's some hilarity there, and I enjoyed the process, but it truly was a "remove from package and go" gun. Here's the test target AoA sent me, followed by one of my final tuning targets. My groups are 11 round full magazine groups at 30 yards from a Caldwell Turret. Top 2 are final tune, bottom 3 a little hotter. The gun shoots like those two groups down to about 185 m/s.

20230528_103717.jpg

20230528_103843.jpg

The hammer spring is easily adjusted from the back of the gun, folded open, with an allen key. While these adjustments arent perfectly repeatable, it isn't bad. One improvement would be more travel on that adjustment screw --- you've only got about one full turn and a bit more would make it less fiddly I think.

Thoughts on the Ranger acessories package: For my usecase, the $400 was well spent. The tiny little 0dB absolutely makes this gun backyard quiet. A thread protector is included as well. The folding mechanism locks up TIGHT --- the only play is in the adjustable buffertube stock itself and very, very minor. I needed side picatinny rails for a night light and likely a laser for sub 10 yard pesting eventually. Bottom rail holds my bipod adapter. The AR stock feels like a high quality one.

Thoughts on testing: I originally was going to post a whole slew of target pictures here. My testing regime was to lead in at 15 yards with two mags when I swapped ammo, verifying that I was solidly on target, and then do 5 11 shot mags from the knee down.

The TLDR is as follows:

As @L.Leon has said, it likes Crosman Premieres. Walmart special CPHP are about 3/4 inch groups at 30 yards right at the knee, but widen at slower speeds. CP Ultra Magnum 14.3 domed are right around 1/2 inch with a flyer every 20 rounds or so widening that group to 3/4. They widen quickly at slower speeds. If you are price sensitive or shoot a LOT, you're in luck becausw this gun loves cheap, widely available ammo.

16 grain JSB were the best in the end, ties with 18 grain JSB right at and under the knee. The differentiator for me was that the 16grs shot considtently from ~214 m/s (700fps) on down to about 170 m/s while barely widening. Crosman ammo and the 18grs widened quickly.

The other three ammos in the running were RwS Super Points and Polymag Shorts which were about as accurate as CPHP, and Norma Golden Trophy Heavy (17gr) which had a narrow sweet spot where they shot similar to JSBs.

Big disappointments were JSB 13s and 14s and H&N Match (Including thr Daystate branded Kaisers.) Thr Kaisers are BEAUTIFUL ammo visually, very consistent, but were shooting ~1.25 inch groups at 30 yards for me. The lighter weight JSB domes were similarly wide.

Anyways, I'm very happy with the gun, and with my LPVO and green Streamlitr, I can get 1 inch 11 shot groups in the middle of the night. The gun is tough, folds up small enough for any bag, and is a pleasure to shoot. I don't think I'm gunna have a starling or night time snake problem this year.

20230526_210456.jpg

Some test targets: This is CPHP and CPUM both right around their sweet spots --- secondary test targets at the end:

20230528_121647.jpg

Some odd hilarity --- Normal Gold 15.9s were dangerously bad, the 17.6s were pretty good.

20230528_121913.jpg

AA 16s (what I ended up loading up on.)

20230528_122141.jpg

20230528_122146.jpg

20230528_122133.jpg

And finally, the worst... H&N Crow Magnums. This is only 2 "groups" because I didn't feel safe shooting more.

20230528_122353.jpg

Reactions: swNCsw
Bought a Brocock Ranger about a year ago for ratting without the neighbors knowing (not allowed to shoot in my area). Great gun. Last week was at a location with pest birds and was knocking them out of trees at 40-50 yards with JSB Hades on the high power setting. Never tuned it just used it straight out of the box. Keep it on the lowest settings for ratting to prevent overshoot into neighbors yard and with the Hades is all that is needed for rats.
Had one tree last week where the birds were roosting so was shooting at angles up to 90 degrees. Have tried this with other rifles and missed more than hit. Only complaint I have about the Ranger is the folding stock is not that easy to fold. Tried injecting some grease into the folding pin joint but did not help much.
Currently using a Immersive Optics 5x and love the wide angle and quick target aquisition.

Bought a Brocock Ranger about a year ago for ratting without the neighbors knowing (not allowed to shoot in my area). Great gun. Last week was at a location with pest birds and was knocking them out of trees at 40-50 yards with JSB Hades on the high power setting. Never tuned it just used it straight out of the box. Keep it on the lowest settings for ratting to prevent overshoot into neighbors yard and with the Hades is all that is needed for rats.
Had one tree last week where the birds were roosting so was shooting at angles up to 90 degrees. Have tried this with other rifles and missed more than hit. Only complaint I have about the Ranger is the folding stock is not that easy to fold. Tried injecting some grease into the folding pin joint but did not help much.
Currently using a Immersive Optics 5x and love the wide angle and quick target aquisition.
I had IOs on my L2 and 1720 --- really amszing for the $.

I think the stickiness in the folding hinge is also part of the reason it's so solid.

I didn't meas with Hades because of my experience with them in my L2 --- less accurate than the equivalent JSB domes and underwhelming expansion. Do you find that they open up on impact with Ranger speeds in .22?

I had IOs on my L2 and 1720 --- really amszing for the $.

I think the stickiness in the folding hinge is also part of the reason it's so solid.

I didn't meas with Hades because of my experience with them in my L2 --- less accurate than the equivalent JSB domes and underwhelming expansion. Do you find that they open up on impact with Ranger speeds in .22?
I have only target shot the Hades on paper at 10 yards for zeroing on the low setting as that is the distance the rats are at and they did not seem at tight as the JSB 15 (low and medium setting) or 18 grain (high setting) pellets in same conditions/distance. Shot them at 25 yards zeroing lane at a real windy shooting club but don't consider that a fair evaluation.
I have tried Hades in other .22 and .30 cal rifles and over about 40-50 yards they seem to drift and do not do well in windy conditions.

The reason I brought the Ranger last week was for invasive Collard Doves roosting at extreme angles in a large tree. Was surprised to hit them also around 40-50 yards and a 8-10 degree angle with the Hades.
After my surprise at the success of this gun last week think I will test more pellets and varying distances and power settings.

Reactions: L.Leon
Great write up! I think I'm really narrowing down my next purchase between the ranger or pathfinder. The FX Panthera compact hunter is on my radar too. Looks like manufacturers are really starting to put focus into small backpackable airguns with all the options these days.
Can’t go wrong with the Ranger or Pathfinder XRs, solid, capable little rigs…

Great write up! I think I'm really narrowing down my next purchase between the ranger or pathfinder. The FX Panthera compact hunter is on my radar too. Looks like manufacturers are really starting to put focus into small backpackable airguns with all the options these days.
Just IMHO, the Panthera doesn't make sense in this format. They built a slug gun and then gave it a short barrel.

If you don't care about hand pumping or small form factor, Pathfinder seems to make way more sense. I wanted hand pumpable and small form factor, so...

The RAW looks awesome, but you'll need a moderator, etc... total cost will end up north of 2k IMHO.

Let us know what you get!

I forgot to mention another airgun from Brocock, the Atomic XR. From this review, it's saying it has a shot count of 30 - 120 (max - low). And is using a 65cc cylinder.

Is this review accurate? Are the Atomic and Ranger completely different models?

I forgot to mention another airgun from Brocock, the Atomic XR. From this review, it's saying it has a shot count of 30 - 120 (max - low). And is using a 65cc cylinder.

Is this review accurate? Are the Atomic and Ranger completely different models?

They are identical.

The Ranger is a bunch of add on accesssories on top of a bone stock Atomic XR. No internals are changed. Top picatinny, side picatinnies, 0dB moderator, folding buffertube adapter, adjustable AR stock.

Reactions: L.Leon and Jnine
Anyone have the .177 version of the Ranger/Atomic? If so, how do slugs perform in these guns? I'd like to know if the .177 might be a better option than the .22 when shooting slugs/highbrid or heavy ammo for that matter.

-Marty
Reach out to @Blackpaw, he own one a short while. @SorenDrost has extensively shot a .177 Ranger and other BRKs in .177 with pellets and slugs. He’s probably got the answers you seek.

Reactions: MartyMcFly
Anyone have the .177 version of the Ranger/Atomic? If so, how do slugs perform in these guns? I'd like to know if the .177 might be a better option than the .22 when shooting slugs/highbrid or heavy ammo for that matter.

-Marty
I was told to run slugs get a diameter well under size as it is a choked barrel.

Reactions: MartyMcFly
I really like correction love my Ranger XR and pest almost daily with it. I like it so much I am contemplating selling my Commander XR.22
Yes the gauge is not in the greatest location however I go mostly by color on the gauge and I can still see well enough from a safe angle it would be better suited on the side however I like the sleekness of it the way it is.

Ranger XR .22.jpg

I really like correction love my Ranger XR and pest almost daily with it. I like it so much I am contemplating selling my Commander XR.22
Yes the gauge is not in the greatest location however I go mostly by color on the gauge and I can still see well enough from a safe angle it would be better suited on the side however I like the sleekness of it the way it is.

View attachment 363988
I must concur, I love.my little Atomic XR, though small, it simply performs outsize to its power. Mine displaced my Bantam Sniper HR and Compatto. Traded them in, zero regrets. A solid little gun…

Reactions: AlabamaLarry
Larcat your write up was very informative for this Brocock fence sitter, as it brought forth various experiences of other voices. Having started following L.Leon atomic journey with little interest, I am now finding that I just might be a true believer after all? Currently my fence sitting has narrowed between either the .22 Ranger or the higher shot count & powered Pathfinder. Question; just what are the true low power and high power Atomic-Ranger shot count numbers?
Thank you in advance for any information :cool:

Reactions: Larcat
It’s a very cool little carbine! Biggest “down side” is the retail price and the trigger. The trigger can be fixed relatively easy with some know how. The factory tune is excellent with “high” reg pressure which resulted in a very quiet and efficient gun with such short barrel. My personal opinion is it is a tad heavy with a scope on for how little it is but it certainly is pretty well made.

Wasn’t for I have so many guns in that power range I would get one if it is on a good sale.

Larcat your write up was very informative for this Brocock fence sitter, as it brought forth various experiences of other voices. Having started following L.Leon atomic journey with little interest, I am now finding that I just might be a true believer after all? Currently my fence sitting has narrowed between either the .22 Ranger or the higher shot count & powered Pathfinder. Question; just what are the true low power and high power Atomic-Ranger shot count numbers?
Thank you in advance for any information :cool:
I get 3 full mags around 18FPE I believe with JSB 16s.

Haven't counted on low, but it definetly increases as you crank the preload down.

Sorry I don't have hard numbers on low.

IMHO if you don't care about hand pump ability or maximal compactness for bag carry, the Pathfinder is probably better. I do care, quite a bit, about both of those so I'm peachy with the Ranger.

Reactions: SHOMER and L.Leon