• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

BRK Pathfinder quick update

Just wanted to let everyone know where I am with this as there are not many things out. If you had read previous posts of mine the relationship started a bit bitter. It came from AOA tuned very hot with the reg set at 165 and I was getting about 33 shots on average. The gun didn't like any of the most common pellets I was putting through it till for some reason it settled with the hn hornets.
A couple of cleanings of the barell with patchworm and a few hundred shots later the gun started liking gto non lead as well. Also I tried a bunch of slugs but unfortunately the only ones that did phenomenally with were out of production AVS 16 grains which I was down to my last 30 slugs.
Well a revisit of various pellets a couple of weeks ago and what do you know, pellets that couldn't group at 40 yards when I first got it now where shooting dime size holes. Talking about jsb hades, aa 16 grains, crossman premiers, FX 18.1 grains and others. Whatever I was putting in it was shooting it. Go figure..I don't know if it was a result of the regulator settling in or the barell needed a good cleaning but no complaints now. So a couple nights ago I decided to deal with the low shot count. Took the grip off ( there is a screw inside the hidden storage compartment), the 2 screws off from the accessory pic rail and off came the stock. Took the correct size wrench and slowly loosened the 2 gauges until air started hissing out. I then took a few shots to empty the air from the plenum and of I went to adjust the regulator. Screwed in clockwise, put stock back on, aired up and reg was showing 125. Nahh, too low for me adjusted up a bit incrementally till I brough it just shy of 145.
Then took the chrony out and started playing with the spring hammer. When all was said and done the gun was shooting crossman premier hollow points 14.3 grains at exactly 18 fpe with the port regulator adjustment one click up from minimum.
Standard deviation 2fps.
I just finished shooting a few mags. From completely full 250 bar down to 145bar I got 80 shots!!
This feels great! Not having to fill up every 3 mags. The FX 18.1grains shoot at a bit over 22FPE with the port adjustment 1 click down from max but on that setting I don't k kw how many shots I get.
Probably will update with that shot count at a later post along with some accuracy testing at 50 and 65 yards with various pellets.

Was this just simply shooting it, as is, “out the box” until the reg settled down?
Suppose I should say as well --- It's conjecture that it was the reg settling in --- whatever it was, it was a pleasant surprise when the efficiency increased as time went on. Could have been any number of different things, I suppose.

Reactions: L.Leon
Suppose I should say as well --- It's conjecture that it was the reg settling in --- whatever it was, it was a pleasant surprise when the efficiency increased as time went on. Could have been any number of different things, I suppose.
What counts is that your Ranger XR settled in and you are satisfied in the end… happy shooting!

I'm thinking about getting one down the road in 25 cal should i have aoa set the reg at 140 before it comes? keith from michigan
Yes. That will give you around 18-21 fpe depending on pellet and a healthy shot count. With the reg set at 165 I was getting 25 fpe but only around 30 shots ( speaking for.22 I wouldn't know for .25)

I'm thinking about getting one down the road in 25 cal should i have aoa set the reg at 140 before it comes? keith from michigan
The Pathfinder will better serve in .22, particularly if you plan on dialing down the reg. The full size Sniper XR HP is a better platform if you have to have a .25.

Reactions: keith1