BRK Ghost Review

.20 cal from the bench

I've admitted before that I'm not a benchrest shooter. In fact, I prefer to shoot from a more active position, usually from a bumbag or from "bucket and sticks." BUT, after some discussion with an airgun friend, I decided to spend some time at the bench with (mostly) the Ghost this evening.

Here is how it went at 35 yards. The two centered groups are with a .20 Veteran. The bigger one was 10 shots, the smaller, a 5 shot group. All the other groups (mostly left side of page) were from the Ghost, and the majority of them are 5 shot groups. Everything at 35 yards (both guns) was with the 13.73grainers at just under 20fpe. There was some turret adjustments going on with the Ghost, as I was trying to figure out wind versus scope zero. The printed circles on this target are 3/8 inch if I remember correctly.
july 26 35 yards.jpg

And the next one was all at 50 yards. The left column is 4x10shot groups from the .20 Veteran, again using the .20/13.73 @ just shy of 20fpe. The next (2nd from left) column is 4x10 shot groups from the Ghost, again using the .20/13.73 @ just shy of 20fpe. The wind during those #40, 20fpe shots from the Ghost were the worst of the session-mostly left to right, and you can see that in the groups stretched rightwards. The third column is from the Ghost, but using the .20/15.89 at 915fps for just about 29fpe. The top group in that third column was sighters, the three below it in the same column are 10 shot groups. Check out that first 10 shot group from the 15.89s! That one is probably the best of the session. The 15.89s require hold UNDER at 50 yards with how I have the scope zeroed @ 35 yards with the 13.73s for field target. The final column (far right) was with the .20/18.9grain NSA slugs. The slugs also require hold UNDER at 50 yards. I was struggling to remember the hold under on every shot. For the slugs I shot a variety of group sizes, some are ten, some are 5 shot groups. There are also two, 5 shot slug groups in the margins on the right paper/target trap (one on each side).
july 26 50 yards.jpg

As is often the case, the pellets seem to generally be outshooting the slugs at 50 yards. And I'm okay with that and still VERY excited about these .20 slugs. Where I'm seeing the slugs shine is 100+ yards ( and maybe could be argued 75+). And the biggest reason for that is how much more predictable these slugs are when the wind is blowing, which is often. When Tony and I went pdog shooting two or so weeks ago, I was using the 15.89grain pellets for most shots under I dunno, 125 yards or so. And when the rangefinder would come back with what my brain thought of as WAAAAYYY out there, I'd spin the power wheel and grab a slug. I had a tin of 15.89s and a container of the lubed 18.9 slugs open right next to me, and would go back and forth as the current target warranted. It worked WELL!

In this evenings session there were some shots where the wind got me, some pulled shots, and some brain farts about the hold unders for the 15.89 and 18.9 projectiles. But overall it was a fun little exercise. I had the chronograph set up and it was good to shoot a bunch of shots over it, at various tank pressures. By "good" I mean confidence building that the guns are producing tight extreme spreads, and that the three different power wheel settings I use for the Ghost for the three different projectiles I shoot from that .20 barrel are all reliably producing the fps that I'm counting on it to do. And it is.

Three Asides (rather than make additional posts)

First.....I pulled the .20 barrel from the Ghost yesterday and gave it a good cleaning with a one piece rod and tight fitting patches on a jag. I just finished the second 300count box of NSA slugs and thought it prudent to give it a good look see again, based on previous leading up experiences with slugs in other barrels/guns. Here's what I had.....
july 25 patches.jpg

Left to right, it was clean by the fourth patch. And no lead speckles, which is GREAT news, cuz I'm using Gunzilla as the cleaning agent (and lube) and the Gunzilla will pull the lead if it's there. So this barrel is proof that LW can make an actual barrel that can shoot slugs as well as pellets, and also does not lead up.

Second aside....
I finished up another tin of the .20/13.73s through the Ghost with the above shooting. When I added it to the stack I noted it's getting high, so counted and it's up to 8 tins. I'm less than 50 pellets shy of adding the fifth tin of .20/15.89s to the Ghost stack. And I'm about 75 slugs into the 3rd box.
So, we're talking
  • .20/13.73 (8x500) = 4000
  • .20/15.89 (5x500) = 2500
  • .20/18.0 (2x300) = 600
  • .22/25.4 MRDs - 7 tins x200 = 1400
  • .177/10.34 - 3.75 tins x500 = 1875
  • .177/13.43 - 0.5 tins x 500 = 250
  • And probably 300+ shots from random pellets, for testing purposes.
So I think this little review Ghost is up to almost 11,000 shots through it. Still going strong.

Third aside...
I haven't had any issues or complaints with the grip supplied by BRK, and at one point even remember thinking to myself that the factory grip is fine, I wonder why everybody is replacing it.....Well I ordered an AK compatible grip. Do I need it? Nope. But I found one that caught my eye and I think will really compliment the gun. Not cheap, but I'm justifying it with how much time I spend shooting the Ghost. Complete splurge. I'll share some photos when it arrives.

Bad news/Good news

I've said it before....I share everything....

Bad news first...
So a few days ago I commented about how the review Ghost has just shy of 11,000 shots through it, and going strong. Well, the afternoon after I made that post (yesterday afternoon) I had a pest bird that needed some lead. Grabbed the Ghost, took the shot, and went to cock the gun again and noticed it was leaking. Same symptoms as the valve leak back at the end of 2022. Louder when the cocking lever is open. Basically a poppet/valve stem leak, up through the transfer port and out the barrel. I broke the gun down, pulled the valve and couldn't find anything amiss. Put it back together, still leaking. Reinspected, reinstalled, still leaking. Bummer, I guess that's what I get for crowing about it going strong for so long...Murphy's Law man.

I called Shane at AOA and explained the problem. He said there were a couple leaking valves back.....at the end of 2022. Well, that's when the original valve leaked, and also the time frame that this second leaking valve came from. I asked him if they would ship me a valve stem and he said he'd just do the whole valve assembly. I got a shipping notice a few hours later, and crossed my fingers that it would get here today so I could use it to shoot some prairie dogs this Sat with a friend.

I only live a few hrs from AOA and the valve was at my house when I got home from work tonight. So, did a quick look-see at the new valve and there are a few ever so slight differences in the valve stem, and there was a pretty high duro oring acting as a buffer in the valve stem pocket, opposite the end that the hammer taps when firing. The valve stem return spring is also a bit shorter but with an additional coil when compared to the one from December, so stronger valve stem return spring in the new valve. Some slight differences. I configured the new valve the way I had the old one, with hopes the fps from each of the three projectiles I've been shooting will all be the same at their respective hammer tension wheel settings....

And to the chronograph...
  • First six over the chrono with the .20/13.73 and MIN were: 805.4, 808.4, 808.5, 817.2, 813.9, 809.2
  • Then dialed to "11" on the wheel and got the following with .20/15.89: 908.5, 915, 911.1, 925.2
  • Then dialed to MAX" on the wheel and got the following with .20/18.9: 893.1, 886.8, 889.6, 890.7, 892.8
Now the good news...
The obvious is that the new valve is not leaking. But I'm also really happy that all three settings are producing (mostly) the same fps they were with the prior valve. The slugs seem to have gained 10-15fps, but both pellets are right where they were with the previous valve. And for disclosure, I did not pay for the new valve, With BRKs warranty I assume a leaker valve would have been covered anyway, had I bought and paid for the review Ghost.
And it was also kinda nice when one of the AOA representatives thanked me for all the testing. At this point I guess they're sort of considering all the shots that have been taken through the review Ghost as the what would be analogous to phase IV testing of a medication. In my professional field, phase IV testing of a medication is essentially after the drug has finally made it to market and the goal is to find rare stuff that didn't come up in the prior steps of the R&D and clinical studies to determine safety and efficacy.

I want to point out that the Ghost's design enables full access to the valve without losing any scope settings. In fact, the rear sub-assembly comes off as an entire assembled piece. Lots of other PCPs that I've been in require a nearly complete teardown to get to the valve, losing scope zero and barrel clocking and etc. From previous tinkerings with the Ghost, I'm confident that all my trajectory data will be spot-on tomorrow. I might just need to add those 10-15fps for the slug profile in Strelok.

Unfortunately, that's two leaker valves now, although both were from within the first few months of the Ghost's release. As much as I've grown to love the Ghost, I really hope that the leaking valve situation has been resolved. Especially since I'm not demanding huge fpe from the platform, but rather being satisfied with tamer power output than it is capable of.

And props to AOA for taking care of that so quickly. I didn't use any personal phone numbers or special ways to contact them, just called the direct line that anybody else would use. Listened to the phone tree and selected the service option. It rang a few times and then gave me the option to have a call back, so I told it yes please. They called me back within 20 minutes and had the new valve in my hands within 24hrs of that (again, I live close so they can't get parts to the whole country that fast, but it is in their power to get it in the mail quickly, and that they did).

Now, I'm excited to shoot pdogs with Ben all day tomorrow. I'll be on the Ghost, and he told me he's bringing a Red Wolf. Chances of monsoon rain, but hoping we can get some shooting in between the rain showers.

If you want your ghost all setup right when you get it, I would contact Derrick @zx10wall and let him know what you are looking for and buy from him. Both of my ghosts came shooting pretty hot (AOA) and I tuned them to where I wanted them to shoot. My 30 cal hasn't been changed at all in over 4 months. It shoots spot on with no POI change to speak of.

I did adjust the scope turret for Textreme, but that was it. There was a difference between Arizona hot dry weather where it was sighted in and Texas' hot humid weather for POI. Not much at all, but I wanted it correct for dialing the distances during competition.

My 22 carbine, which I bought for pesting, has been shooting really good also. I am changing the tune on this rifle to squeeze every ounce of accuracy out of it right now for 50 yard competition. Not the right rifle I know, but it is what I have.

For pesting this last year I had never touched it after initial tune.

Derrick can answer your questions on the ghost and also a few other models he deals with.

Tony P.

Bad news/Good news

I've said it before....I share everything....

Bad news first...
So a few days ago I commented about how the review Ghost has just shy of 11,000 shots through it, and going strong. Well, the afternoon after I made that post (yesterday afternoon) I had a pest bird that needed some lead. Grabbed the Ghost, took the shot, and went to cock the gun again and noticed it was leaking. Same symptoms as the valve leak back at the end of 2022. Louder when the cocking lever is open. Basically a poppet/valve stem leak, up through the transfer port and out the barrel. I broke the gun down, pulled the valve and couldn't find anything amiss. Put it back together, still leaking. Reinspected, reinstalled, still leaking. Bummer, I guess that's what I get for crowing about it going strong for so long...Murphy's Law man.

I called Shane at AOA and explained the problem. He said there were a couple leaking valves back.....at the end of 2022. Well, that's when the original valve leaked, and also the time frame that this second leaking valve came from. I asked him if they would ship me a valve stem and he said he'd just do the whole valve assembly. I got a shipping notice a few hours later, and crossed my fingers that it would get here today so I could use it to shoot some prairie dogs this Sat with a friend.
Mine is one of the first editions (#220036) with the original power wheel. It developed a leak near the main body area. I'm wondering if that's the issue. Dropped it off at AoA and it's in good hands with Shane too. It probably has 2k pellets through it.

Perhaps someone can answer the following question, which I did not see specifically addressed in this thread. (I could have missed it.) I do not want to tune, modify, or change my next rifle. I just want a solid 22, possibly 25, caliber rifle that will shoot with no fuss. Is the Ghost such a rifle? Or, should I look elsewhere?
YES...you can.
You can shoot most ANY of today's, quality rifles without any "tuning".

Questions are, will it (most any modern gun) perform at it's best with the pellet weight (design) that you choose to shoot, and the distance that you decide to shoot ??

So...as mentioned, it's best if whomever you buy from, or pick an outside person/shop, tell them the above info pellet weight, design, and target distance, and have then tune to those parameters to achieve the guns "best" performance.
Then...you can pretty much leave your new toy as is, for the perceived future.

Mike

Perhaps someone can answer the following question, which I did not see specifically addressed in this thread. (I could have missed it.) I do not want to tune, modify, or change my next rifle. I just want a solid 22, possibly 25, caliber rifle that will shoot with no fuss. Is the Ghost such a rifle? Or, should I look elsewhere?
It or any of the other rifles with lots of adjustments can be a set it and forget it rifle, but it depends on who you buy from. If you like the Ghost, I would buy from Derrick based on what I know.

While I haven’t owned the Ghost, I have owned several FXs and the ones I purchased from SPAW don’t have some of the issues I’ve seen from others, because he set it up like I wanted before he shipped. That is what Derrick will do for your Ghost.

Mine is one of the first editions (#220036) with the original power wheel. It developed a leak near the main body area. I'm wondering if that's the issue. Dropped it off at AoA and it's in good hands with Shane too. It probably has 2k pellets through it.
They'll get it sorted out for you. Please let us know what they determine to be the cause/source of the leak.

You've already gotten some really good answers to your question, and I agree with them about Derrick being your best bet if you want it to arrive ready to go for a certain projectile at a certain speed, ie turnkey. I've shot some gun's tuned by Derrick and he's the best out there.

I'll add that just b/c the Ghost is capable of the tuning and tweaking and experimentation, that doesn't mean all the adjustments have to be used. As we're now on page 29 of this thing, you've likely concluded that I'm "meticulous" and thorough in my evaluation of a gun. There is lots of material within this review that is very in-depth. And in that regard I might be doing the Ghost a disservice b/c the depth and breadth of the review might make it look like it requires a huge time investment to shoot/own/operate. To clarify, the Ghost can be shot as-is. Derrick will set you up to whatever your requested specs are (as long as they're within the Ghost's design capabilities), and you can leave like that and just shoot it. Feed it air and whatever you're wanting to shoot, and it'll make you smile.

Last edited:
You've already gotten some really good answers to your question, and I agree with them about Derrick being your best bet if you want it to arrive ready to go for a certain projectile at a certain speed, ie turnkey. I've shot some gun's tuned by Derrick and he's the best out there.

I'll add that just b/c the Ghost is capable of the tuning and tweaking and experimentation, that doesn't mean it has to be used. As we're now on page 29 of this thing, you've likely concluded that I'm "meticulous" and thorough in my evaluation of a gun. There is lots of material within this review that is very in-depth. And in that regard I might be doing the Ghost a disservice b/c the depth and breadth of the review might make it look like it requires a huge time investment to shoot/own/operate. To clarify, the Ghost can be shot as-is. Derrick will set you up to whatever your requested specs are (as long as they're within the Ghost's design capabilities), and you can leave like that and just shoot it. Feed it air and whatever you're wanting to shoot, and it'll make you smile.
Have to agree, I’ve own five BRKs Brococks, still own three, they “all“ have been great “out the box” but I’m just an average guy, I had no specific needs other than they be accurate and reliable. Through PMs with a fellow member, he related how happy he was with Derricks tune of his Ghost. And how Derrick was now tuning his Atomic XR. So it’s all going to depend on what you require. Either way, a win win situation.

Prairie dogs with Ben

(graphic warning, there will be some photos of dead pdogs in this report, if that doesn't interest you, please skip this installment)

My friend Ben drove up from PHX metro area for a day of pdog blasting today. We started around 8am and went til 415, with a brief lunch break around 1pm.

He brought and used his .25 Red Wolf, in the brown and gray heritage laminate stock. That rifle is really quite the looker and I wish I would have gotten a close-up photo to share here. He's done some pretty sweet work on that gun to make it behave very uniquely (shot cycle). And it performs at a VERY high level. Ben has been testing some JTS pellets lately and that's what he used today, to very good effect.

I of course used the .20 Ghost. I shot about 5 of the .20/15.89 JSB pellets throughout the day, and all the rest of the shots I took were with the .20/18.9grain NSA slugs.

This is a portion of pasture on one of the properties we spent a few hours in.
beautiful day.jpg

As seen above, those monsoon thunderheads kept building all around us, but never materialized into any moisture, despite the weather forecasts 70% chance of rain.

For whatever reason, the pdogs were a bit less active and generally more skittish today than they were two weeks ago with Tony. Perhaps the survivors from the nearly 200 that Tony and I got in that last swing through the permissions learned a few lessons from that day. Two weeks ago Tony and I probably had an average distance of all shots taken at around 75 yards. Today Ben and I didn't have it so easy. While we did have some close ones, and some VERY far ones, the majority of what we were shooting today were in the 80-120 yard ranges. We talked about how prey animals learn what distance is safe and we seemed to be experiencing the dogs trying to establish a new safe distance today. Unfortunately for about 100 of them, they weren't far enough away from the Red Wolf and Ghost to be safe. I suspect they'll be even tougher to get next time because we each got around 40-50 today, despite their attempts at distancing themselves a bit further from danger than they did two weeks ago. So the pdogs that lived through today are now a bit wiser about the safe zone.

Ben brought standing tripods and we worked through the field above, up and back. We modified our tactics as we went, and as we pinpointed hot spots of pdog activity. This was the general shooting position we took. Sometimes we'd stand in one spot and get multiple shots before we needed to move. Other times we'd have to move 75 or more yards before we saw a target. We had to cross a few fences and jump a couple ditches. We compared thoughts on carrying the two guns throughout that extended length of time and seemed to agree that the Ghost fit the situation better than the long Red Wolf. This photo is a bit misleading as we weren't shooting towards the house, as can be seen in the next few photos, although the proximity of houses DOES illustrate how airguns are the perfect tool for pest control in these areas.

We had to earn them in this tall grass.
clear blue skys.jpg

As we were walking, the occasional shallow-end-of-the-gene-pool individual would give us a brief chance at a close shot. Here is a sequence taken over Ben's shoulder.... This one was so close Ben wanted to get off a quick shot so didn't bother with the tripod. ie he shot it offhand.

sequence1.jpg
sequence.jpg

And the outcome of Ben's offhand shot above....
bens offhand pdog.jpg

(Notice that gray tail, that's the easy identifier to verify that these are Gunnison variety prairie dogs. These hibernate for about 6 months every winter, another indicator that they're Gunnison's and not Blacktailed Prairie dogs.)

Here's one that I took at about 60 yards. Slug entrance was on the far side and actually went through the opposite shoulder before exiting on this side. While the .20 slugs are an over-penetration, under-expansion situation, this one just quickly flopped over, quite dead.
ghost and pdog.jpg

And this one's day was also ruined by a .20 NSA slug, fired from the Ghost. He was at 80 yards, and another boiler room shot, albeit just a bit lower, towards the bottom of the chest, than the previous photo. There is a surprising amount of color variation in these guys. Some are darker brown, and I've often wondered if it's maybe because that individuals primary burrow is in a darker vein of soil than the lighter ones. And there also seem to be some age related effects to their coloring. The older ones take on a grayish, grizzled look, almost like an aging canine. This one has more gray in his coat than the one above. They can live 5-8 years (when me and my airgun buddies aren't around) and I'd guess this one was on the last half of his lifespan, while the one in the previous photo was a bit younger.
ghost 80.jpg

And this poor fellow was the main reason for the graphic warning at the beginning of the post. Ben put one of those .25 JTS pellets through his noggin, and head shots are usually bleeders. I don't remember the distance on this one.
bens head shot.jpg

As for notable shots from the day....
  • Ben went back to back with two at 140 yards from the standing tripod. We saw the two at about the same distance, I gave him the yardage from the laser and he popped them both, quick as can be. Quite tidy. My mouth might have been hanging open a bit after I witnessed that.
  • He also exploded the dirt underneath one at 240 yards, SOOOOO dang close to being able to say he got a pdog at 240 yards, with a pellet!!! It was an impressive shot.
  • In one of the down times Ben walked some shots into the 4-6 inch hollow end of an old fence post that was laying on the ground, pointing at us.....at a lasered 248 yards! Once he figured out the windage and elevation he could put em within a 12 inch circle of the center of the post, and some of the shots weren't kicking up dust, suggesting that he was in fact hitting the intended 4-6 inch end of the fence post.
  • I connected on a dog at a lasered 216 yards.
  • I also dropped one at a lasered 226 yards. This one was a head shot as he dropped right in his tracks, twitched a bit, and then rolled over, all four legs up in the air. We went out to lay eyes on this barely believable shot and when we found the corpse, lasered back to where we thought we'd been when I took the shot. It came back at 210. Laser rangefinders are tough to pinpoint on a pdog at 200+ yards, and it was tough to figure out exactly where to aim the laser when we were measuring backwards from the dead pdog. Either way, it was a confirmed head shot somewhere in the vicinity of 210-225 yards.
  • I had a couple chances to walk some shots into two dogs on a mound at 330 yards. After a couple shots I was blowing up the ground right in front of them and they skedaddled before I could claim a 330 yard kill. After we saw that the .20 slugs were tracking true to 330 yards I picked a flat rock, near the same mound, probably about 8-10 inches across, and was able to place them right there at the rock.
Both of us were just shaking our heads at how well our respective projectiles were doing on the long bomb shots.

With my crazy work schedule, and a young family, these types of days spent with airgun buddies shooting through the dog towns are usually few and far between. In the past, I've only been able to squeeze one day in in each of the past few summers. But the day with Tony a few weeks ago, and then today with Ben, man, it's just really fun to spend time with friends who enjoy this airgunning madness.

I feel like I strayed a bit from keeping this Ghost-centric. So to conclude the report...the Ghost performed admirably. The leak problem was fixed with the new valve. As I expected, all the dope data was still good, despite the need to replace the valve. It was great as an all day carry hunting gun. I didn't feel burdened or annoyed by toting it around. I was really pleased with the shot counts from the 480cc bottle today. We shot a BUNCH, and not always at critters. I started with 4400psi in my 45min scba and ended with just shy of 4300 (there was a temp gradient there, from AM to PM and I haven't looked at the gauge on the tank now that it's not so hot, but I'd expect it to be lower than 4300 now that it's not 95 degrees). I've always hated the burden of the acquisition of high pressure air for this hobby, so to be able to shoot all day and not use much air is just icing on the cake of an already thoroughly enjoyable experience with the Ghost. And the .20/18.9grain NSA slugs!!!! They're giving me the ability to hit what I want at borderline unbelievable distances, without burning through a bunch of air or expensive big bore projectiles, what more can a guy ask for?!?!

Last edited:
Prairie dogs with Ben

(graphic warning, there will be some photos of dead pdogs in this report, if that doesn't interest you, please skip this installment)

My friend Ben drove up from PHX metro area for a day of pdog blasting today. We started around 8am and went til 415, with a brief lunch break around 1pm.

He brought and used his .25 Red Wolf, in the brown and gray heritage laminate stock. That rifle is really quite the looker and I wish I would have gotten a close-up photo to share here. He's done some pretty sweet work on that gun to make it behave very uniquely (shot cycle). And it performs at a VERY high level. Ben has been testing some JTS pellets lately and that's what he used today, to very good effect.

I of course used the .20 Ghost. I shot about 5 of the .20/15.89 JSB pellets throughout the day, and all the rest of the shots I took were with the .20/18.9grain NSA slugs.

This is a portion of pasture on one of the properties we spent a few hours in.
View attachment 376797

As seen above, those monsoon thunderheads kept building all around us, but never materialized into any moisture, despite the weather forecasts 70% chance of rain.

For whatever reason, the pdogs were a bit less active and generally more skittish today than they were two weeks ago with Tony. Perhaps the survivors from the nearly 200 that Tony and I got in that last swing through the permissions learned a few lessons from that day. Two weeks ago Tony and I probably had an average distance of all shots taken at around 75 yards. Today Ben and I didn't have it so easy. While we did have some close ones, and some VERY far ones, the majority of what we were shooting today were in the 80-120 yard ranges. We talked about how prey animals learn what distance is safe and we seemed to be experiencing the dogs trying to establish a new safe distance today. Unfortunately for about 100 of them, they weren't far enough away from the Red Wolf and Ghost to be safe. I suspect they'll be even tougher to get next time because we each got around 40-50 today, despite their attempts at distancing themselves a bit further from danger than they did two weeks ago. So the pdogs that lived through today are now a bit wiser about the safe zone.

Ben brought standing tripods and we worked through the field above, up and back. We modified our tactics as we went, and as we pinpointed hot spots of pdog activity. This was the general shooting position we took. Sometimes we'd stand in one spot and get multiple shots before we needed to move. Other times we'd have to move 75 or more yards before we saw a target. We had to cross a few fences and jump a couple ditches. We compared thoughts on carrying the two guns throughout that extended length of time and seemed to agree that the Ghost fit the situation better than the long Red Wolf. This photo is a bit misleading as we weren't shooting towards the house, as can be seen in the next few photos, although the proximity of houses DOES illustrate how airguns are the perfect tool for pest control in these areas.

We had to earn them in this tall grass.
View attachment 376798

As we were walking, the occasional shallow-end-of-the-gene-pool individual would give us a brief chance at a close shot. Here is a sequence taken over Ben's shoulder.... This one was so close Ben wanted to get off a quick shot so didn't bother with the tripod. ie he shot it offhand.

View attachment 376799View attachment 376800
And the outcome of Ben's offhand shot above....
View attachment 376802
(Notice that gray tail, that's the easy identifier to verify that these are Gunnison variety prairie dogs. These hibernate for about 6 months every winter, another indicator that they're Gunnison's and not Blacktailed Prairie dogs.)

Here's one that I took at about 60 yards. Slug entrance was on the far side and actually went through the opposite shoulder before exiting on this side. While the .20 slugs are an over-penetration, under-expansion situation, this one just quickly flopped over, quite dead.
View attachment 376803

And this one's day was also ruined by a .20 NSA slug, fired from the Ghost. He was at 80 yards, and another boiler room shot, albeit just a bit lower, towards the bottom of the chest, than the previous photo. There is a surprising amount of color variation in these guys. Some are darker brown, and I've often wondered if it's maybe because that individuals primary burrow is in a darker vein of soil than the lighter ones. And there also seem to be some age related effects to their coloring. The older ones take on a grayish, grizzled look, almost like an aging canine. This one has more gray in his coat than the one above. They can live 5-8 years (when me and my airgun buddies aren't around) and I'd guess this one was on the last half of his lifespan, while the one in the previous photo was a bit younger.
View attachment 376804

And this poor fellow was the main reason for the graphic warning at the beginning of the post. Ben put one of those .25 JTS pellets through his noggin, and head shots are usually bleeders. I don't remember the distance on this one.
View attachment 376805

As for notable shots from the day....
  • Ben went back to back with two at 140 yards from the standing tripod. We saw the two at about the same distance, I gave him the yardage from the laser and he popped them both, quick as can be. Quite tidy. My mouth might have been hanging open a bit after I witnessed that.
  • He also exploded the dirt underneath one at 240 yards, SOOOOO dang close to being able to say he got a pdog at 240 yards, with a pellet!!! It was an impressive shot.
  • In one of the down times Ben walked some shots into the 4-6 inch hollow end of an old fence post that was laying on the ground, pointing at us.....at a lasered 248 yards! Once he figured out the windage and elevation he could put em within a 12 inch circle of the center of the post, and some of the shots weren't kicking up dust, suggesting that he was in fact hitting the intended 4-6 inch end of the fence post.
  • I connected on a dog at a lasered 216 yards.
  • I also dropped one at a lasered 226 yards. This one was a head shot as he dropped right in his tracks, twitched a bit, and then rolled over, all four legs up in the air. We went out to lay eyes on this barely believable shot and when we found the corpse, lasered back to where we thought we'd been when I took the shot. It came back at 210. Laser rangefinders are tough to pinpoint on a pdog at 200+ yards, and it was tough to figure out exactly where to aim the laser when we were measuring backwards from the dead pdog. Either way, it was a confirmed head shot somewhere in the vicinity of 210-225 yards.
  • I had a couple chances to walk some shots into two dogs on a mound at 330 yards. After a couple shots I was blowing up the ground right in front of them and they skedaddled before I could claim a 330 yard kill. After we saw that the .20 slugs were tracking true to 330 yards I picked a flat rock, near the same mound, probably about 8-10 inches across, and was able to place them right there at the rock.
Both of us were just shaking our heads at how well our respective projectiles were doing on the long bomb shots.

With my crazy work schedule, and a young family, these types of days spent with airgun buddies shooting through the dog towns are usually few and far between. In the past, I've only been able to squeeze one day in in each of the past few summers. But the day with Tony a few weeks ago, and then today with Ben, man, it's just really fun to spend time with friends who enjoy this airgunning madness.

I feel like I strayed a bit from keeping this Ghost-centric. So to conclude the report...the Ghost performed admirably. The leak problem was fixed with the new valve. As I expected, all the dope data was still good, despite the need to replace the valve. It was great as an all day carry hunting gun. I didn't feel burdened or annoyed by toting it around. I was really pleased with the shot counts from the 480cc bottle today. We shot a BUNCH, and not always at critters. I started with 4400psi in my 45min scba and ended with just shy of 4300 (there was a temp gradient there, from AM to PM and I haven't looked at the gauge on the tank now that it's not so hot, but I'd expect it to be lower than 4300 now that it's not 95 degrees). I've always hated the burden of the acquisition of high pressure air for this hobby, so to be able to shoot all day and not use much air is just icing on the cake of an already thoroughly enjoyable experience with the Ghost. And the .20/18.9grain NSA slugs!!!! They're giving me the ability to hit what I want at borderline unbelievable distances, without burning through a bunch of air or expensive big bore projectiles, what more can a guy ask for?!?!
I want to thank franklink Very much for hosting me.
The day was awesome, Franklink's knowledge and ability to explain is unmatched. Well, you all read his reports and reviews, he is even better in real life. lol
The thing I took away from this is how amazing these airguns and the ammo are. How far they have come. We were doing headshots at 70-140 yds repeatedly. These guns are definitely not like my old RED RIDER. If you haven't tried the semi-dome pellets from JTS, you need to. They hit hard and the accuracy is just unreal (at least as witnessed from my barrel)EFF24906-2E2C-4269-8552-12B081ECF93B.jpeg. This is 100 yards in 5-7 mph wind from a bucket and bipod. Seriously try to see what your results are.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jaxjax
The ghost would be great, you might also consider an option like the daystate wolverine or huntsman. Wood stock, solid rifles that just work and work well.

Reactions: Kilmouski
If you haven't tried the semi-dome pellets from JTS, you need to. They hit hard and the accuracy is just unreal (at least as witnessed from my barrel)View attachment 376922. This is 100 yards in 5-7 mph wind from a bucket and bipod. Seriously try to see what your results are.
I'm excited to try JTS Take Downs 18.1. The quality is phenomenal. I weighed 10 pellets and they were all 18.1 exactly.

Reactions: Thach2264
Great stuff! Wonderful design!

It truly is a cleverly engineered airgun.

I love my Veterans, but anything that can be done to an airgun is easier to do on the Ghost than on the Veterans (degas, swap barrel, access the valve, adjust the power, adjust the regulator, reconfigure, clean the barrel, etc).

Reactions: Solo1