• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

BRK Ghost Review

Here's a 700cc bottle on a Vulcan 3 that I borrowed from a friend for a couple weeks. Not a Ghost and wood stock but gives you an idea of a barrel-shrouded bullpup with a 700cc bottle...
View attachment 360236
Would it look hideous on a Ghost? I personally don't think so, especially if it gets more shots per fill. I'm always a fan of more shots per fill, and if your desire is throwing heavy stuff like the new .30 Zan, you're gonna need/want more shots/fill. You could always put a longer moderator on to balance out the "look." The only 0DB I have (and therefore the only one in any pics in this review) is the 110c, which is pretty short, as far as moderators go.

Maybe reach out to @pesty3782 to see if he's shot the new Zans from his .30 Ghost. He's shared some pretty impressive .30 groups from his Ghost but I think it was with JSB pellets. Dunno if he's tried the Zans but he's a reliable info source to see whether or not the Ghost .30 has the oomph necessary for the Zans and a barrel that agrees with them.

Awesome! I will look him up for sure.
I may need to buy the 160S, lol. You have a point on "look balancing".

Some recent discussion with a friend got me wondering if there are flyers with the .20 pellets, specifically the .20 Heavies. I know the .20/13.73s are flyer free, but haven't shot the Heavies (15.89) on paper enough to KNOW the same. Most of my .20 Heavy use in the Ghost has been long range plinking fun, or long range pest shooting.

So I thought about it for a few days and devised the following experiment.....100 yards with the same aim point, preferably with minimal wind. No sighters, no wind flags, just hold as close as I can to the same point and shoot off a bunch of shots. Fairly simple, arbitrarily decided on 20 shots. Not very often to see somebody share 20 shot groups at 100 yards.

Right after dark the wind was cooperating this evening, so decided to perform the experiment. I also decided it'd be interesting to see how the .20/13.73s would group at 100 yards, and even threw in the Veteran Long as a sort of control, since that's my personal "Long Ranger" and I have a pretty good feel for how it shoots in various conditions.

Here are the buckets at the irrigation berm at the back end of the field that makes up a large portion of my property. Middle bucket was confirmed to be 100 yards, via laser rangefinder. The berm is angled so the other two buckets are within a foot or two of 100 yards.
targets.jpg

And the view back to my house from the buckets....shots were taken from just to the right of the sliding glass door at ground level. Blue light is the bug light in my back yard, other houses are further away than they appear, on the other side of the road, probably around 300 yards from where I was standing.
back to house.jpg

And the view back to the buckets from my "shooting bench" (plastic table) on the back porch...the three bucket pellet traps are the light dead center in this photo.
targets1.jpg

First, the 20fpe .20 (from the Ghost)
20fpe.jpg

Next the 29fpe .20 also from the Ghost, just dialed the power wheel and swapped pellets. I dialed a couple clicks of elevation into the scope and repeated the 20 shots with a tighter hold to see what effect that would have on the groups. The orange-centered group is the loose hold, the group up above is the tight hold.
29fpe.jpg

And finally, the "control," the .22 Veteran Long, shooting the .22/25.4grain Monster RDs. I think I've only shot one pellet from the gun in the last 4 or 5 months (that pellet absolutely destroyed an English Sparrow). Anyway, the first 20 shot group here is me being out of practice with the Vet Long, but it also contains at least one flyer, the curse of the .22 MRD, that low shot was the flyer than can nearly be counted on from the MRDs. After the first group I dialed in a couple clicks to the left and shot another 20 into the group on the left. No flyers from the second group (that means I can expect at least one flyer in the next 20 shots out of the Vet Long, lol dang MRDs).
44fpe.jpg

Conclusions
  • I don't think I have any flyers from either .20 pellet, or at least not any horribly egregious ones.
    • (For extreme field target we're usually shooting at 3 inch kill zones at 100 yards, so happy to be able to put 20 shots into the same 2-2.5 inches that I wanted them to go. Furthermore, keeping that many consecutive shots under 2.5inches at 100 yards is plenty accurate for just about any pest species I'm going to be going after).
  • Ghost seems to shoot just a bit better with a tighter hold, and also made the group print a bit to the right when compared to the looser hold.
  • Can you believe that 20 shot 20 fpe group at 100 yards!?!?! I sure didn't expect the 20fpe to be the tightest group. Although that very gentle left to right definitely pushed it that direction a bit. Although, of these three setups, the .20/13.73 at 20fpe would be the third choice on a windy day.
  • Having reliable dope on a gun is freaking cool. I've got dope sheets for both of these guns and all three setups and the first shots for each of the three went right where they should tonight, as did the rest of the shots taken (minus the flyers from the MRDs out of the Vet). I understand there are guns out there where the owners have to re-zero every time they take it out. That just seems an exercise in frustration to me. I don't know why, but I derive a huge amount of satisfaction from KNOWING where a pellet is going to go, without needing to shoot a few first to figure that out.
  • Pretty happy with the Ghost's performance, as always.

Boy, I know that’s not true at all. But Maybe I better partner up with you at the next EFT to make sure 🤔

Tony P
Sounds like it was a good thing I was squadded with Wayne M when I shot slugs from Derricks V3. Impartial witness to corroborate my score. Cuz you never know the lengths a guy will go to, once he starts practicing, anything goes.

Sounds like it was a good thing I was squadded with Wayne M when I shot slugs from Derricks V3. Impartial witness to corroborate my score. Cuz you never know the lengths a guy will go to, once he starts practicing, anything goes.
Yup, the more I practice the luckier I get... :ROFLMAO:

Franklink- thank you for putting the time, effort and expertise in reviewing the Ghost. I/we agn really appreciate it. Your review of the Ghost pushed me over the border of (do I need another gun), I’ve-a .22 Vet.

Since you mostly shoot single load, I’ve made something (for you) that might help you enjoy the single loading a little more. Yes it is for your .20 cal! And one in .22 as well.

Please message me your address and I’ll get it out.

Bang

IMG_7159.jpeg
IMG_7158.jpeg
IMG_7157.jpeg

Franklink, wanted to give you a thumbs up for your extensive reviews sticking with a gun for months, and reporting different styles and conditions of shooting.
This allows for true and accurate testing and review’s, also keeping the gun in its original state for majority of testing before modifications. Kudos!

Franklink- thank you for putting the time, effort and expertise in reviewing the Ghost. I/we agn really appreciate it. Your review of the Ghost pushed me over the border of (do I need another gun), I’ve-a .22 Vet.

Since you mostly shoot single load, I’ve made something (for you) that might help you enjoy the single loading a little more. Yes it is for your .20 cal! And one in .22 as well.

Bang
Wow Bang, that's incredibly kind and thoughtful of you. I'll shoot you a PM. Thank you!

Franklink, wanted to give you a thumbs up for your extensive reviews sticking with a gun for months, and reporting different styles and conditions of shooting.
This allows for true and accurate testing and review’s, also keeping the gun in its original state for majority of testing before modifications. Kudos!
Thank you for the kind words. It has thus far been a VERY fun ride with the Ghost.

Yes I agree 100% that covering a gun in an extensive manner like this better represents actual ownership of a gun than the typical YouTube review where a guy only has it for a short time.

It has become numero uno for me, and therefore sees A LOT of use. Occasionally I wonder if the review gun in my possession is the Ghost specimen with the highest shot count (at this point). If so, that is a great longevity and durability test.

Reactions: Smitty911

Bang

View attachment 361742View attachment 361743View attachment 361744
Franklink's rifle will need a 22 cal mag or loader. Since no 20 mag was available, I fitted the 20 barrel to use a 22 probe. This will not fit through a 20 magazine. The stock 22 magazine works ok as there is only 0.020" difference in the ammo but can be a little fiddly.
Nice offer !
Bob

Reactions: mikebaker1
Had a chance to compete with the Ghost .20 in a silhouette and field target match last weekend over in western NM.

The general setting: https://www.airgunnation.com/thread...-june-2023-match-report.1291728/#post-1514044

Ghost specific thoughts.......
(All of the shooting below references the .20/13.73 going an average of 805fps.)

The silhouette match went poorly for me. I missed 8 shots and they were all @ 80 yards. That suggests my 80yard dope was off and I'm not sure if it was me not reading the wind correctly, or if it's a trajectory problem. I intend to shoot at some paper @ 80 yards when I get a chance, but haven't yet.

The field target course went pretty good though, scoring a 50/52 on what is considered an "expert" level course per the Troyer calculations. I also shot in Hunter class, which is not my normal class. I've been shooting Open class for about 6 years now, although I made a half-hearted attempt at Hunter class in a winter match about 6 months ago. For that winter match I wasn't very prepared and didn't do too well. BUT I was pretty practiced up from shooting sticks for this past weekend, and my score reflected that.

The two misses were a 3/8 inch kill zone @ 12 yards and a 1.5" KZ @. 46 yards. Both were shooter caused.

So that makes four AAFTA style matches in which I've shot the Ghost, scoring the following:
1. Oct 2022- Freestyle Class - 47/48, used the .177 barrel (off bumbag but used laser rangefinder)
2. Nov 2022- Hunter Class-39/48, used .177 barrel
3. April 2023-Open Class-49/52, used .20 barrel
4. June 2033-Hunter Class-50/52, used. 20 barrel

I'm pretty pleased with the Ghost as a field target rig. I've said it before, but in any shooting competition a guy needs a gun that can be trusted to perform. For a platform to be a decent competition gun, misses need to be shooter-induced, not equipment caused. And what I've seen with the Ghost, throughout 4 sub 20fpe matches and 3 (or maybe 4?) Xtreme FT matches, is exactly that: reliability and consistency.

Wife, kids, and myself are headed over to Flagstaff tomorrow morning. They'll drop me off to shoot in another field target match. I'll have fun shooting a match while they're playing in Flagstaff. I'll give you one guess on the only gun I'm planning on taking with me tomorrow...........THE GHOST of course!

As always, I'll report on how it does.

Franklink, thank for your honesty and hard work. I’ve read this whole thread at least twice. Because of your honest reporting I’ve finally made the decision to order a Ghost from Airguns of Arizona. Before I read all of this I was looking into a different brand air rifle, but I couldn’t find anyone who took the time you have to give us their findings good or bad. Thanks again!

Had about 40 min to shoot this evening and the Ghost was the chosen one for the evening (too many guns, too little time).

Set out some paper @ 100 yards, 1.25inch printed circles, mostly 5 shots per circle. Ghost still has the .20 barrel of course. Used the .20 Heavies at 11 on the hammer tension wheel for 915fps.

Was happy that I could keep a lot of them within the 1.25 circles. Even had a couple 5 shot, sub MOA groups. Wind wasn't cooperating and I needed between 0.2 and 0.8mils of windage, average was about 0.4mils hold off. The wind was also causing some lift at times, pushing my pellets up and right.

Counted the holes in the paper afterwards and had 61. Bottle was @ 250bar to begin with and ended at 175. Reg pressure of 140 so another 20-25 shots above reg are likely possible. So, something like 85, maybe 90 shots per fill with Ghost set up as a 30fpe .20. The shot count is nice, the long range accuracy for such a small pill is even better.

The above is gonna whack some pdogs later this summer when season opens up for sure!
Which bottle was equipped during this shot count? I seem to recall you mentioning having maybe a 300cc and a 480cc bottle.

Which bottle was equipped during this shot count? I seem to recall you mentioning having maybe a 300cc and a 480cc bottle.

For that guestimate of 90 shots as a 30fpe .20 I was using the 480 cc bottle. Having shot it more now, I'd guess more like 105-115 shots from the 30fpe .20.

Your question prompted me to skim through some of the posts and as I did so, I realized I haven't been great at documenting shot counts at each configuration.

The most solid data I could find on shot counts was from the .22 HP configuration. This is from post #317.
With a strict inclusion criteria of single digit spread, it was good for 55 shots at just under 50fpe as a .22 (480cc bottle).
Screenshot_20230620-154901.png

With less stringent ES requirements, good for about 65 shots at 50fpe, again, as a .22 with the 480cc bottle.
Screenshot_20230620-154303.png

Other configuration's shots counts, from memory and rough estimates....
120-140 shots as a 19 fpe .177 (with 300cc bottle)
220+ shots as a 19.5 fpe .20 (with 480cc bottle)

This is of course specific to how I've configured those tunes. For example, with the 19.5fpe .20, I'm running a reg pressure of 140bar, for two reasons. The first is that it allows me to get 30fpe with the .20 Heavies by just spinning the hammer tension wheel. The second is that I like the crisper shot cycle (has a bit of blaaaaaaat feel with low reg pressure "tunes"). So, with a low reg pressure/19.5fpe tune in .20, shot count would likely be different than what I'm seeing.

And that more than one way to skin a cat concept is one of the things that makes the Ghost so appealing to me. With all the adjustability, a patient owner can adjust to suit their preferences. Which is pretty much where I'm at with it now. I've got it adjusted just how I like it, not really testing and tinkering and tuning anymore, but rather just shooting it and enjoying it. And that's why the posts here on the review have not only slowed down, but changed in nature from learning/discovering/sharing posts, to more straightforward and simple results posts.

And on the topic of results.....
I shot the Ghost at the field target match over near Flagstaff this past weekend. It was a 48 shot match and I scored a 45. The three misses were where I misjudged the wind on long targets. The course was a rather easy one, and should have been my first perfect match with the Ghost. I went 34 or so shots without a miss and I got cocky and quit paying as much attention to wind as I should have. First miss was on lane 9, mentally assumed that would be my only miss. Lane 10 was the 4/4 kneelers. Missed both far shots on lane 11 and then went 4/4 on my last lane, the offhand shots. Simple as that, I messed up and didnt pay close enough attention to the wind, too busy counting my chickens before they hatched.
The high score of the match was good friend Bobby, with a 46/48. While disappointed in myself, it was great to see Bobby win. He and I were diehard Open class shooters and noticing how few Open participants we've been seeing, we recently decided to give Hunter class a try. So, very cool to see him win in a new class. He shot his Delta Wolf, using a .20 barrel he machined. (he also machined the .20 barrel that I was using in the Ghost).

(There was mention made of AOA getting me one of the 700mm barrels in .22. I'm in no huge hurry for that, enjoying the low power summer field target matches, but when high power/long range ft matches kick in again this fall, I'd like to do some experimentation with that 700mm .22 barrel. And since Ben's high power matches allow slugs, Im not against competing with slugs, if the 700mm barrel they send me likes them. So sharing of that testing experience may be in the future.)

Last edited:
Franklink, thank for your honesty and hard work. I’ve read this whole thread at least twice. Because of your honest reporting I’ve finally made the decision to order a Ghost from Airguns of Arizona. Before I read all of this I was looking into a different brand air rifle, but I couldn’t find anyone who took the time you have to give us their findings good or bad. Thanks again!

Thank you for the kind words. I think you'll be quite pleased with your Ghost purchase.

For that guestimate of 90 shots as a 30fpe .20 I was using the 480 cc bottle. Having shot it more now, I'd guess more like 105-115 shots from the 30fpe .20.

Your question prompted me to skim through some of the posts and as I did so, I realized I haven't been great at documenting shot counts at each configuration.

The most solid data I could find on shot counts was from the .22 HP configuration. This is from post #317.
With a strict inclusion criteria of single digit spread, it was good for 55 shots at just under 50fpe as a .22 (480cc bottle).
View attachment 366230

With less stringent ES requirements, good for about 65 shots at 50fpe, again, as a .22 with the 480cc bottle.
View attachment 366234

Other configuration's shots counts, from memory and rough estimates....
120-140 shots as a 19 fpe .177 (with 300cc bottle)
220+ shots as a 19.5 fpe .20 (with 480cc bottle)

This is of course specific to how I've configured those tunes. For example, with the 19.5fpe .20, I'm running a reg pressure of 140bar, for two reasons. The first is that it allows me to get 30fpe with the .20 Heavies by just spinning the hammer tension wheel. The second is that I like the crisper shot cycle (has a bit of blaaaaaaat feel with low reg pressure "tunes"). So, with a low reg pressure/19.5fpe tune in .20, shot count would likely be different than what I'm seeing.

And that more than one way to skin a cat concept is one of the things that makes the Ghost so appealing to me. With all the adjustability, a patient owner can adjust to suit their preferences. Which is pretty much where I'm at with it now. I've got it adjusted just how I like it, not really testing and tinkering and tuning anymore, but rather just shooting it and enjoying it. And that's why the posts here on the review have not only slowed down, but changed in nature from learning/discovering/sharing posts, to more straightforward and simple results posts.

And on the topic of results.....
I shot the Ghost at the field target match over near Flagstaff this past weekend. It was a 48 shot match and I scored a 45. The three misses were where I misjudged the wind on long targets. The course was a rather easy one, and should have been my first perfect match with the Ghost. I went 34 or so shots without a miss and I got cocky and quit paying as much attention to wind as I should have. First miss was on lane 9, mentally assumed that would be my only miss. Lane 10 was the 4/4 kneelers. Missed both far shots on lane 11 and then went 4/4 on my last lane, the offhand shots. Simple as that, I messed up and didnt pay close enough attention to the wind, too busy counting my chickens before they hatched.
The high score of the match was good friend Bobby, with a 46/48. While disappointed in myself, it was great to see Bobby win. He and I were diehard Open class shooters and noticing how few Open participants we've been seeing, we recently decided to give Hunter class a try. So, very cool to see him win in a new class. He shot his Delta Wolf, using a .20 barrel he machined. (he also machined the .20 barrel that I was using in the Ghost).

(There was mention made of AOA getting me one of the 700mm barrels in .22. I'm in no huge hurry for that, enjoying the low power summer field target matches, but when high power/long range ft matches kick in again this fall, I'd like to do some experimentation with that 700mm .22 barrel. And since Ben's high power matches allow slugs, Im not against competing with slugs, if the 700mm barrel they send me likes them. So sharing of that testing experience may be in the future.)
It's nice to have "Bobbys" in our life, especially if they have awesome barrels to give away. ☺️

Thanks for the shot count update. Don't take this the wrong way, I'm not downing the Ghost's shot count, I'm just comparing the only thing I know, seeing how I myself don't even own a PCP "YET". My lady recently bought a FX Wildcat with a 600mm barrel and a 580cc 300 bar bottle. It's a blast to shoot but sorta sucks for me since I shoot lefty, but that darn thing can shoot maybe 200 shots at 30-31fpe and not fall off the 90ish bar reg. I love that about her rifle but I'm not so crazy about the reg creep, POI changes, and having to work on it all the time. So as I usually do, I study and learn everything that I can before jumping in head first. The Ghost has my attention with accuracy still in question for the .22 cal. I'd hope it's better than her .22 Wildcat, solid barrel vs FX straw with stiffeners. 🤣
I'll take accuracy over shot count because shooting 100 pennies at 50 yards beats missing 200 of them with a straw gun.

It's nice to have "Bobbys" in our life, especially if they have awesome barrels to give away. ☺️

Thanks for the shot count update. Don't take this the wrong way, I'm not downing the Ghost's shot count, I'm just comparing the only thing I know, seeing how I myself don't even own a PCP "YET". My lady recently bought a FX Wildcat with a 600mm barrel and a 580cc 300 bar bottle. It's a blast to shoot but sorta sucks for me since I shoot lefty, but that darn thing can shoot maybe 200 shots at 30-31fpe and not fall off the 90ish bar reg. I love that about her rifle but I'm not so crazy about the reg creep, POI changes, and having to work on it all the time. So as I usually do, I study and learn everything that I can before jumping in head first. The Ghost has my attention with accuracy still in question for the .22 cal. I'd hope it's better than her .22 Wildcat, solid barrel vs FX straw with stiffeners. 🤣
I'll take accuracy over shot count because shooting 100 pennies at 50 yards beats missing 200 of them with a straw gun.

The 580cc/300 bar bottle isn't quite apples to apples, since it's bigger and sounds like you're filling to 300 bar vs the 480cc @250 bar on the Ghost. And with the reg of 90 bar that you mention, that equates to more shots per fill when comparing to me needing to stop at 140 bar like I'm doing with the Ghost.

I'll try to find some time to get an entire shot string with it as a 30fpe .20 to give you a better idea of shot count at that power level. You've got me curious as well now. The 100ish was just an estimate, but I'll be somewhat surprised if it's very much more than that.

The 580cc/300 bar bottle isn't quite apples to apples, since it's bigger and sounds like you're filling to 300 bar vs the 480cc @250 bar on the Ghost. And with the reg of 90 bar that you mention, that equates to more shots per fill when comparing to me needing to stop at 140 bar like I'm doing with the Ghost.

I'll try to find some time to get an entire shot string with it as a 30fpe .20 to give you a better idea of shot count at that power level. You've got me curious as well now. The 100ish was just an estimate, but I'll be somewhat surprised if it's very much more than that.
Yeah, I knew it was far from an apples to apples comparison..... Boyle's gas law. Aside from barrel accuracy, I've been wondering too if the balance valve is more efficient than a standard reg, valve and hammer spring setup like most other guns have. After all, FX tossed a valve stop in the Impact to keep the valve from blowing too far open and wasting air. Wasted air out the muzzle is a big cause for inaccuracies and I can only assume a balance valve eliminates that. If not, what's the advantage of it?