BRK Ghost Review

What a good amount of work and posting again. Thank you for that. Apart from the hades you do not seem to find the right tune for any of the projectiles yet. Although the speeds would suggest that you should be in the right ballpark . I believe a shorter burst of higher pressure air is more appropriate with a relativ short barrel like in the Ghost. The risk that your system is still blowing air after the projectile when the projectile is leaving the barrel is considerably higher with your low reg settings. I know you are after your “advantages” of the low reg setting as you mentioned but there is no such as a “free meal“ in airgunning hence tune the pressure up. Short (light) hammer stroke and dial your hammer in to about 6 m/s below the max. Speed at that setting and you will see much better groups popping up. ( I would say strat at 135 ish upto 155 ish)
you can shoot more accurate with low reg settings but then you have to be satisfied with much lower speeds / power Than what you are testing with .
I hope this tip saves you some air and ammunition in further testing. Please do me a favor and include some more different slugs in your testing as I am very lured by the Ghost but only if it appears to handle some slugs well in the 20-25 gr range .

succes and thanks again !

Your idea has been on my mind since you posted the above. The thought of a low reg pressure, lower fpe tune in .22 IS kind of intriguing, for various reasons. First is shot count, get lots more shots per fill if you can keep shooting all the way down to a low reg pressure. Reduced noise is another reason. Cheaper pellets than the heavy stuff. Downrange safety of lower fpe. Etc.
That's awesome that you did this testing on the lighter pellets. After reading, I'm wondering if I'll be able to dial my down enough with the normal HP hammer & spring.

That's awesome that you did this testing on the lighter pellets. After reading, I'm wondering if I'll be able to dial my down enough with the normal HP hammer & spring.
From your responses it looks like you understood that this was VERY quick and dirty, but @ladwict didn't seem to catch that, also not sure he paid close enough attention to notice that I said this is the long .22 barrel or that the wind was blowing 25miles per hr. Maybe the language barrier....

Anyway, I'll spend some more time with it at some point. Lower power tune should be achievable, just a matter of figuring out the settings.

Had some time yesterday to play with the Ghost a bit, wind was still rough.

I shoot from a pretty simple set-up. And no wind flags.
120922.jpg

Started out with where I'd left the gun last: reg pressure at just under 100bar, 0.047" wire hammer spring, about 490grains of hammer weight. about 1/8" of the threaded nose of the hammer extended.

10 shot groups, wind was mostly from right to left. Adjusted scope between each group. Really hard to verify a scope zero when the wind is whistling. Had another pellet trap next to this one that took a couple shots at when went from the 21grain Baracudas to the 15.89grain Hades in order to figure out impact points.
35fpe.jpg

Quiet evident how much wind effect had on the Hades going that fast, by how strung out the groups are. Also interesting that the Hades were dropping more than the Baracudas, even though the Hades started out going so much faster. Hades were obviously stripping speed faster so lower BC. With the H&Ns there seems to be more vertical dispersion, which agrees with my general feelings of all H&Ns, they're simply not as high quality of a pellet as JSBs. The Baracuda Matches seems a bit better than the plain Baracudas. Really cool when they just keep flying into the "same hole." Keep in mind these are ten shot groups, in the wind. And that the Hades were going WAY too fast. All three of these are accurate enough for hunting purposes, but I won't be competing with any of them. In fact, would be kinda cool to see what a Hades that started out at 1015fps would do do a squirrel or pdog, of course would need be be bout 30-35 yards at most of that excess speed is gone anyway.

Tried some 17.5grain slugs with the same settings as above and it was underwhelming. Since I've generally found slugs are a quick way to foul up a barrel to the point of literally ruining pellet accuracy (another reason my stance for slugs is slowly becoming more and more "anti") I pulled it and cleaned before moving onto the .22/MRDs.

From there I moved bumped up the reg to just under 140 bar, and went to the .22/25.4grain JSB Monster RD. Basically the same settings with which I shot the XFT match a few weeks ago, the only difference that I gave it a couple more clicks on the hammer spring tension to get them going 935-940fps (versus 925-930 during the match.

Started with the MRDs at the same 55 yards as above. 5 shots per group here. And again I was adjusting the windage turret between the top four groups, trying to find where the wind was without hold-offs.
This is 40 consecutive shots. In the last four you can see that upper-right to bottom-left push that I was getting from the wind mostly quartering in from about 1 o clock.
under pennies.jpg

Same groups with pennies more or less centered.
pennies.jpg

From there I moved on out to 100 yards. MRDs at 935-940 still.
Shot these from left to right. First one was trying to figure out the wind so didn't score it, middle one I kinda had a handle on it so it got scored, and the wind had changed quite a bit by the third one, to the point that I didn't score it either. Wind was mostly quartering in from about 2 oclock, but would also shift to come in from about 10 oclock as well. Hold offs for the wind were as much as 1 mil, and also slightly up or down (0-0.4mils usually), depending on what I thought the angle of the wind was doing. No wind flags......Filled the gun between each paper, but otherwise, everything I shot at 100 yards is on these three pages, so 85ish consecutive shots. (I personally feel like sighters are cheating, I want to see what a gun can do without verifying everything on a piece of paper that doesn't count against me or the gun. I'm a pester first, and a field target guy second. In neither of those disciplines does spray and pray apply, so I don't like to shoot paper that way either. Same idea as wind flags. I don't get to run out and set up 5 wind flags prior to taking a shot at a pdog or ground squirrel so I don't "practice" that way).
100 yard sequence.jpg

And a close up of that one in the middle that got scored. Scored using a .308 bullet as that's the closest I have. (I understand they plug up to 0.3 for the big long range paper matches?).
100 yards.jpg

SUPER cool to hold off nearly a mil and have the pellets just settle into the ten and nine ring. Not so cool to hold off that much and mis-read it and have it be a 7 or a 6. On that middle target on the right column I was getting pretty excited to have 4, 10s, and of course the 5th shot was the 8.

Impressions from the above....
  • There is a "ping" with the settings that produced that 35-36fpe range. I've not had the ping from the sub 20fpe .177 tune, nor from the 48-50fpe .22 tune. The ping seems to be coming from the hammer spring because it resonates until the cocking lever is initiated towards cocking for the next shot, a sort of resonance that abruptly dies with movement of the cocking lever.
  • LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of shots per fill with that 35-36fpe tune. There's 80 shots on that paper, and there were a couple more on the other paper before I switched over to the Hades. So 85 or so shots from 240 down to 130 bar. That's with the 480cc air bottle.
  • I tried the 17.5 grain NSA slugs after the Hades and before bumping up the regulator for the .22 MRDs and accuracy results at 55 yards was abysmal. 3 and 4 inch "groups." 960 fps with 17.5 grain .22 NSA slugs and this particular barrel is NOT something worth repeating or investigating further.
  • I'm really impressed with how repeatable the fps produced by the same combinations of all the settings has been. Repeat the settings, shoot it over the chrono, and smile when fps is right where all my notes said it was last time. That repeatability is very helpful for all the swapping around and testing I've done with various speeds and pellets, etc.

@Franklink , one thing to note on the particular Ghost you have; correct me
If I’m wrong but don’t you have a slow twist barrel (1:30)? From what I understand, the production Ghost’s have a 1:17.7 barrel. I’m sure you’ve already stated that your barrel is a slow twist but wanted to point it out to go with slug results.

If this is the case, I believe this is why you won’t get favorable results with slugs. There have been good results reported with pellets and slugs from the out of the box barrel.

@Franklink, your write ups, on whatever PCP you are reviewing set an incredibly high bar. Your thoroughness is greatly appreciated. When I see one of your reviews? I grab a cup of coffee and a seat for a good read. Thanks.
Thanks for the kind words.

Yeah, I'm not sure "review" is the correct word either. Ramblings might be more appropriate. Good to hear you're enjoying it though.

@Franklink , one thing to note on the particular Ghost you have; correct me
If I’m wrong but don’t you have a slow twist barrel (1:30)? From what I understand, the production Ghost’s have a 1:17.7 barrel. I’m sure you’ve already stated that your barrel is a slow twist but wanted to point it out to go with slug results.

If this is the case, I believe this is why you won’t get favorable results with slugs. There have been good results reported with pellets and slugs from the out of the box barrel.
I just asked @Arzrover about the .22 poly since it originally came with the prototype(?) Ghost HP he received and he said he thinks slow twist but that I should measure it to verify. I'll let everybody know as soon as I do.

I really haven't experimented much with slugs in the .22 barrel yet, at least not very seriously. I only tried the 17.5s because they were about the right weight for the energy the gun was putting out with those settings. So verdict is still out on whether or not this .22 poly barrel likes slugs.

Just wanted to share that about a week ago I stumbled upon a facebook group titled, "BRK Brocock Owners Group (Official)" and requested to be added to the group.

I have no idea if it's actually BRKs "official" owners group but I do know there's a decent amount of Ghost material in there; actual owners photos, discussion via comments made on the posts, etc. Looks to be primarily UK airgunners.

Just another potential source of Ghost info for those interested.

Was just shooting out my second story gun window with the Ghost. It's been COLD. Low for tonight is 10 degrees and low for tomorrow was 6, last time I checked. Highs in the mid 30s.

Have some cheapo metal paddles @ 125 lasered yards. About where the red dot is in this photo.
PXL_20221215_221505746~2.jpg

Some Christmas cheer and kid junk on the "shooting table."
PXL_20221215_221448845.jpg

I think the larger paddles are around 1.5inches.
PXL_20221215_221319455.jpg

No pellet strikes on em til just now.

Not sure why, but getting a gun out that's just been sitting for a week or more, plugging the distance into Strelok and cranking the turrets to what it suggests, and then having the pellets go where they should is just the coolest feeling. Amazes me every time.

I was experimenting tonight with shooting FX Atomics (aka Hades) in Ghost HP. Degassed the gun and lowered regulator to 85 bar. At first, it shot a very consistent 926 FPS. It slowly dropped to 920, 914 and finally settled on 909 before needing refilled. It seemed as soon as the tank dropped from red zone this started to happen. Again, it dropped in middle of green and then one last time at the start of yellow. Mind you, it never fell below the regulator. That was my first thought.

During the test, I started with the power wheel on 10 and moved it to 15 and down to 5. None of the adjustments seemed to effect the velocity more than 5 FPS. Final setting was 5.

Accuracy at 25 yards was pellet on pellet throughout all those velocities. Also, the point of impact did not change at all from MRD and 140 bar regulator settings.

Weather was about 51°, Sunny and no wind.

Any ideas what could be causing the variation?

Well, subtracting the min from the max that you gave I'm seeing a 17fps spread. Which is just fine, especially considering that you have the Ghost HP and it has that heavier hammer and hammer spring in it. Play with one of the ballistic apps a bit and you'll see that a 17fps spread hardly effects the impact point at all, even out to 100 yards. The wind and pellet to pellet variation and the human factor are all bigger factors than that 17fps spread.

As for why hitting the valve harder (power wheel adjustments) isn't changing the fps much, the low reg is the limiting factor here. With that low of a reg it doesnt look like it matters how hard you hit it, you're going to be in the area of 915fps with 15.89gr hades.

Sounds like a pretty sweet tune to me. I think I'd be happy that your 50-65fpe HP can go down that low and be consistent and accurate.

Now if you're truly OCD, a lighter hammer spring might net you a more consistent extreme spread, all else the same. But play with Strelok or Shooter or Chairgun and see how little effect a 17fps spread has first. Also, swapping out the hammer spring is a few more steps than just dropping the reg pressure.

Last edited:
Y
I thought it might have something to do with HP configuration being outside of if optimal tune range. Thanks for confirming.

I'm completely happy with the accuracy for also shooting doves and pigeons at mostly shorter distances within 50 yards.

Thanks again for educating me.
Sounds like a perfect pellet and speed for < 50 yard doves and pigeons. I suspect you'll be able to shoot a whole lotta shots on one fill with those settings...maybe even half a 500ct tin. THAT is cool!

Just curious, you cited reg pressure of 85 bar. Was that as low as the reg on you HP would go or just where you decided to start?

Thanks.