BRK Ghost Review

Pushed it out to 174 this evening with the .20 slugs...
PXL_20240102_001959350.jpg

PXL_20240102_002114491.jpg

Need to work on the target situation to really be able to accurately represent what it'll do but this is a cherry picked 9/10.....bout 2.75" wide and 3.25" tall.
PXL_20240102_034027537.jpg

Was shooting through some woven wire fence with 2"x4" squares and lots of the shots were hitting the wire and getting deflected right before the cardboard. Too many over, under, and through fences with how I was doing it this evening. I'll revisit it the next chance I get.

If it'll shoot 3 to 3.5inch, 10 shot groups at 174 yards I'll be pretty impressed. Over the last year I've taken lots of shots from the Ghost on pests this far (many of them successful) but this is the first serious attempt at getting groups on paper this far out.

I'm excited to learn from my target placement mishaps this evening and give it a better attempt the next chance I get.

Gun discussed here is the Ghost.....

Just adding the link for continuity.

Still playing with the .20 Ghost ...

Credit to @Motorhead, but a couple years ago I did this experiment: https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/20-jsb-exact-jumbo-heavies-resized-from-22.1094891/

Essentially, a .22/18.13gr JSB sized down to .20 to make a .20/18.13gr pellet.

Here's what they look like....left is a unmolested JSB .20/15.89 and right is a sized down .22/18.13 to .20/18.13...

PXL_20240111_042046731.jpg

PXL_20240111_042057667.jpg

Yes it makes a rather large bearing surface. My process is also giving it a small meplat.

When I did this test with a different gun/barrel a few years ago the fastest I pushed them was 880ish, which produced a BC of 0.042....in a perfect world BC wouldn't change with speed, but in reality, it often does. So I've wondered what faster would do for accuracy and the BC for awhile now.....

So I made up a fresh batch of .20/18.13 and just ran some over the chrono in the garage, from the Ghost. Was hoping for more like 915-920fps but I took 8 shots and they were 894-902 (max hammer spring and same 128reg pressure I've been working with for so long). Just a shade under 33fpe.

They're at least a bit faster than the previous test with different gun. I'm sure I could get more speed with other changes but don't want to fiddle with the tune that much. So I'm going to try them out of the Ghost @ average of 898-900 to see how accurate they are, and hopefully capture a downrange speed for a bc on them at this speed.

Fun stuff.

BRK is Brocock, which was an independent company in the past. BRK is now owned by Daystate. Very much a different price range, but kinda like Benjamin and Crosman.....same parent company and some of the same parts end up on guns made under both brand names.

To answer your valve question from the other thread.....the Daystate Delta and Alpha Wolf share the same valve as the BRK Ghost.

Last edited:
...I have pretty much decided on the 22 HP version but wonder if I need that to shoot JSB 18.13 grn pellets @ 900 fps...

...the specs say the carbine and plus models are only good for 35 ft lbs...that's aboot half of what the HP is specified at...

...that doesn't seem right...(???)...

...I will probably stick with the HP model...are there any differences beside barrel/bottle length...???...I read the thread but am still unclear on this...

...I am easily confused, eh...still sort of torn between the Plus and the HP versions...

...it seems like all the cool kids get the carbine...(grin)...

...I plan to have AOA optimize the rifle for the JSB 18.13 pellet for me...mostly because I have a lot of those...

...any suggestions on what the regulator pressure should be set at...???...

...I should explain/confess here than I am tragically mechanically declined...

...I will be talking to Chris @ AOA but very much would like to know what Franklink and anyone else who cares to comment thinks....

Last edited:
Its up to you but with the hp you will need the lighter hammer spring. With the + you probably wont need to change anything especially if you have them tune it for you. The differences are
Carbine 300cc bottle 17” barrel
+ 480 bottle 17” barrel and longer shroud to go past bottle
Hp 480 bottle 23” barrel

Changing hammer springs and adjusting pressure are very simple with the ghost you really shouldn’t be afraid so make sure you won’t want more power later when making your decision.
Oh forgot to mention the hp barrel is poly the 17” barrels are rifled as far as i know

...thanks...that explains what I was seeing @ carbine and plus...it looked like the plus has a longer barrel...I didn't get it...

...why would I need a lighter spring to shoot JSB 18.13 grain pellets @ 900 fps in HP...?!?...that's confusing... :confused:

...more power is good...I want more power...I just understood that one cannot shoot diabolo pellets too fast without blowing out accuracy...

...I have thousands of 18.13 grain pellets on hand but will likely buy heavier ones at some point...

...I see from rereading that 900 fps should be achievable in a 17" carbine with 18.13 pellets and that the energy developed is within specified parameters...

...however, I don't want that to be the upper limit, so I will go with the HP...I am definitely not one of the cool kids... :p

...the poly rifling sort of clinched it...

Last edited:
I have the .22 Plus version and the hammer spring that came with the rifle was the "HP" stiff spring. This meant that no matter which way I turn the wheel in the back from Min to Max, the rifle only shot at 900+ FPS, it would not adjust. When I spoke to Chris from AoA he mentioned possibly the heavier spring was in my rifle and sent me the lighter hammer spring.

Now with the lighter hammer spring, when doing the wheel adjustment in the back from Min to Max, I get the range you are supposed get from upper 680's to 900 FPS.

I did get at .25 barrel kit and did have to put the stiffer spring in the gun to run the heavier pellets and it works great.

I would suggest if you do buy one, you ask AoA if they can put the different hammer springs in a bag for you when shipped. As stated above, they are very easy to change out.

Here is the link with me figuring out the spring in the back

https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/brk-ghost-wheel-only-lowering-fps-by-10.1301589/#post-1621436

Hope this helps, Chad

Reactions: Hapo
...thanks...that explains what I was seeing @ carbine and plus...it looked like the plus has a longer barrel...I didn't get it...

...why would I need a lighter spring to shoot JSB 18.13 grain pellets @ 900 fps in HP...?!?...that's confusing... :confused:

...more power is good...I want more power...I just understood that one cannot shoot diabolo pellets too fast without blowing out accuracy...

...I have thousands of 18.13 grain pellets on hand but will likely buy heavier ones at some point...

...I see from rereading that 900 fps should be achievable in a 17" carbine with 18.13 pellets and that the energy developed is within specified parameters...

...however, I don't want that to be the upper limit, so I will go with the HP...I am definitely not one of the cool kids... :p

...the poly rifling sort of clinched it...
I think you will need the lighter hammer spring because when i shot an 18 thru mine after setting it up for 25 gr at hammer wheel 1 it was still supersonic ! I had to do that to my 177 hp to get it to shoot 13 gr below 20 fpe.

Reactions: Hapo
...I will ask Chris to send a lighter spring...I am less confused now...thanks, stalwarts...

...although he did tell me that they could tune the HP to shoot 18.13 grain pellets at 900 FPS or so by setting the regulator PSI to 100-110...(???)...

...he did explain that the heavy hammer spring was instrumental in the much higher energy rating of the HP...

...any recommendations @ 5"-7" bipod vs 7"-9" bipod for Ghost...???...

...FWIW, this thread sold me on the Ghost...

Last edited:
Reactions: Franklink
...indeed, for which I am grateful, but there is contradictory information afoot...

...I sent the two answers to Chris along with my request for a lighter spring...

...I will post the reply I got from Chris in response to the issue in question:

Walter,

I will include a medium hammer spring in your package. The way we are going to set it up it should not be needed, but its always good to cover all the bases.

In the second post his regulator was still likely at 145-150 BAR which is why his 18gr went supersonic even though he was on power wheel level 1.

Thank you,

Chris
Sales Department
Airguns of Arizona
480-461-1113 EXT 102

...I am not looking to start some sort of controversy here, but do wish to dispel any misconceptions, and seek precise information...

...the way I am understanding things at present would indicate that the light spring is not necessarily necessary to achieve target velocity with a 18.13 grain pellet but using a light spring with 145-150 PSI regulator pressure would result in greater control via hammer spring adjustment...

...this assumes that Triggs75 and Solo1 were running their Ghosts @ 145-150 PSI...(ass out of u and me)...

...another quandy I find myself grappling with is why I would prefer polygonal rifling...I know I want it, but do not know why...(LoL)...

...what is the advantage...???...what is the cost...???...

...I would imagine it deforms the pellet less, for improved BC, but there is no such thing as free a lunch, eh...

...I know in the case of Glock powder burning pistols their polygonal rifling barrels preclude the use of cast bullets...so why is it OK for lead pellets...?!?...

...I find it curious that the carbine configurations use cut rifling instead...does this make the HP a "bargain" at the same price...???...

EDIT...here is what Chris sent while I was posting this...he did not address my question @ polygonal rifling:

I think the way we have it set up and now with the medium power spring included we made the right decision.

My prep guy already did everything, he set the reg to 100 BAR and the 18's are going 960 FPS and was a phenomenal 5 shot group.

If you want to go lower than the 960 FPS, you will need to put in the medium hammer spring which I included in the box.

Thank you,

Chris
Sales Department
Airguns of Arizona
480-461-1113 EXT 102

...I want to thank Triggs75 for suggesting I ask for the lighter spring...

Last edited:
Do not worry about rifling differences. Neither is better than the other. Just shoot the gun when you get it—after a good deep clean (brushing) of the bore to remove the thick, caked anticorrosion coating applied to it. Thereafter, shoot it even more to master shooting it accurately. After that, shoot it more still to enjoy its accuracy.

The above is not just for the Ghost, but for any properly built airgun. It’s all in your skills and shooting technique, provided all the other things check out.😉😉

Congratulations on the procurement of a great PCP.

Oh, here’s a photo of some cool kid’s Carbine to keep you excited while waiting for yours to arrive 😉😉
IMG_2299.jpeg

Last edited:

Reactions: Solo1
To Cole and so many other great shooters that follow this thread,

Today is the first day for US competitors to register for the WFTC 2024 coming to Phoenix this November. https://www.wftc2024.com/ It would be fun to see a lot of ghosts there, and get acquainted with their trigger pullers. Garret has laid out three tremendous courses that you can see on the website.

If a group develops, it would be fun to correspond here or on a new thread on WFTC setup ideas.