• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

BRK Ghost Review

The two biggest improvements to that trigger are cutting a few coils off the trigger rod return spring (sits right in front of the trigger cassette at the rear and bottom of gun) and lightening up the first stage spring by over compressing (outside of gun) or replacing with a lighter spring. That first stage spring is located in the trigger mechanism right above the trigger blade, under the plate that the safety goes through.

I'd recommend those spring changes first, and then see what you have for creep. I suspect the creep can be adjusted out once those springs are taken care of. Mine doesn't have creep.
Will you please provide details on how to do this (or provide a link to where you’ve already posted it)?

Thanks!

Here is my new collection of Ghost hammersprings:
HP2 51.90 mm x 1.33 mm
HP 51.25 mm x 1.29 mm
MP 49.50 mm x 1.30 mm
LP 49.39 mm x 1.19 mm
Exact measurements are tricky in that the ends are a compressed partial coil that is ground flat in an effort to achieve a length. I have a calibrated rod..to ck my calipers and they are were reading 74.98 mm for the 75.00 mm rod.

So I finally got my Ghost this week, it's a .22 Plus version (which has the shorter barrel, but standard size bottle).

I like it, but the powerwheel is doing only like a 10% change in velocity between min and max on 150 bar (with 18gr pellets) and decreasing to 0% at 85 bar. So I guess I got the HP spring while it should have been the medium spring (acc. to the link tec posted above.)

What I am severely disappointed about is the crazy amount of trigger creep on the second stage. (after the first stage comes to a stop, there is backward movement when finger pressure is increased before the sear breaks) I haven't heard anybody complain about this (only about the weight of the second stage) so I wonder if mine was not checked for this at the factory. I don't see any adjustment for creep in the handbook, unless it is the "C" screw which is factory set, and we are not to adjust it (according to the afore mentioned handbook) As I am not in the US Derrick is unfortunately no option... So what will happen if I change the setting of the "C" screw? Or is there anything else that can be done?
If it were me I would get the LP spring in addition to the MP…i got ~60 ft/s min to max at 1360 psi reg press shooting 10.65gr 177 with the LP spring

Here is my new collection of Ghost hammersprings:
HP2 51.90 mm x 1.33 mm
HP 51.25 mm x 1.29 mm
MP 49.50 mm x 1.30 mm
LP 49.39 mm x 1.19 mm
Exact measurements are tricky in that the ends are a compressed partial coil that is ground flat in an effort to achieve a length. I have a calibrated rod..to ck my calipers and they are were reading 74.98 mm for the 75.00 mm rod.
What were the outside diameters and the number of coils for the lengths? I assume the 1.xx numbers are the wire diameters.

Had another monthly field target match this morning, and chose to shoot the Ghost. Put on by Garrett K of the Phoenix Airguns Club at Rio Salado Sportsman's Club. Same match site as the American Field Target portion of EBR last month. And this club and course will also be hosting the World's WFTF in 2024.

60 shot course his morning. 10 lanes, 3 targets per lane, 2 shots per target. 1 lane offhand (6 points) and one lane kneeling (6 points). The other 48 shots were from stool and sticks for Hunter class, which is what I chose to shoot in today. Id guess there were around 20 shooters.

My assigned starting lane was the offhand lane, and I got the jitters and didn't get rid of them for the entire match. I couldn't figure out why I was so nervous, my hands were literally shaking. Realized on the drive home that I was starving and had skipped breakfast, so likely low blood sugar. Thats just one of my excuses anyway. 😬

Final score was a 53/60. Which I was pretty discouraged about. I pulled four shots out of the killzone as the trigger broke. One of those was an offhand shot, pulled the shot on two kneelers, and again on one at around 50 yards. Another miss was because I forgot to hold over on an offhand shot. I missed one at an estimated 52 yards because I thought the wind was enough to hold for, held right at 9oclock on the edge of the kill zone...and hit right at nine o clock on the edge of the kill zone. Finally, the seventh miss was a 3/8kz @ 13 yards. I split the edge and it didn't go down. Didn't necessarily pull that shot, just could not hold inside of that tiny kill zone with my hypoglycemic tremor. So 4/6 offhand, 4/6 kneelers, 53/60 overall. With that score I expected to be way down the list on the scoreboard.

BUT, it was somehow good for a tie for second place in Hunter. Kent won it with a 55/60, and me and Van each had 53. Van got one more forced position shot than I did so that was used to break the tie. Other notable was Lauren P with a 54 in WFTF class. So I guess the little Ghost was good for a tie for overall 3rd highest score, looking at all classes, despite my poor performance.

Of course this is regular sub20fpe AAFTA field target so I used the JSB .20/13.73s @ 800-805fps.

Can't blame the misses on the gun this time around, 100% operator error.

It was a fun morning with the Ghost and airgun friends.

Now you know how difficult it can be for us "old" guys 😉😁

Bob

Anybody dealing with a tremor is certainly at a disadvantage. I can normally hold where I want to be on the crosshair within the kill zone, from Hunter or Open position. BUT I sure struggled to do the same yesterday.

And this is the unfortunate part for those with a permanent tremor, no amount of equipment spending is going to make that go away. Typically guys can equipment-buy their way out of deficits in field target, but spending money on "better" isnt going to outrun a baseline tremor.

("Equipment-buy" = this scope doesn't range well enough so I buy a more expensive one, or, this gun isn't accurate enough so I spend more $$$ on a more accurate gun, or paying somebody to "tune" the rifle, or buying a new grip that feels better, or a better knee riser, or upgrading shooting sticks and putting a new top piece on them, or buying a larger butthook, or buying scales and pellet inspection/sorting equipment, or buying a larger side wheel, etc etc etc).

I was considering a Ghost and just read all 40 pages of this thread.

I now think I have permanent brain damage.

Yeah it's gotten ridiculously lengthy. I've shared everything that I've learned about the Ghost and reported on all of its outings.

Any reader should have a pretty good idea about the Ghost from these 40pages.

I was considering a Ghost and just read all 40 pages of this thread.

I now think I have permanent brain damage.
Its a great read though nad youve been schooled in the ways of ghost.

Many of franks posts about guns feel like a college course in a great way as they are that good.

His threads convinced me to buy a Ghost! A friend was selling one, so even though I just bought a Skout this week, I have a Ghost coming too! Slow season, with winter coming and less shooting, but 2 new guns!
very nice hope you enjoy both.

I'm trying to find a winter job to fund the rabbit hole atm

• Haha
Reactions: Solo1 and Smok3y
Anybody dealing with a tremor is certainly at a disadvantage. I can normally hold where I want to be on the crosshair within the kill zone, from Hunter or Open position. BUT I sure struggled to do the same yesterday.

And this is the unfortunate part for those with a permanent tremor, no amount of equipment spending is going to make that go away. Typically guys can equipment-buy their way out of deficits in field target, but spending money on "better" isnt going to outrun a baseline tremor.

("Equipment-buy" = this scope doesn't range well enough so I buy a more expensive one, or, this gun isn't accurate enough so I spend more $$$ on a more accurate gun, or paying somebody to "tune" the rifle, or buying a new grip that feels better, or a better knee riser, or upgrading shooting sticks and putting a new top piece on them, or buying a larger butthook, or buying scales and pellet inspection/sorting equipment, or buying a larger side wheel, etc etc etc).
My list is a bit different i need a new back 2 new hips 2 knees 2 shoulders and a new brain! Lol id laugh more but it hurts too much! 😂

Reactions: cavedweller

@zx10wall got to shoot an FT match last week with my .177 Ghost Carbine, you did trigger work on - fabulous improvement with KZ hits 30 % more. Great job Derrick and thanks Carey for the Hymel method. ghosts are great shooters for sure. @Franklink low blood sugar is REAL.

Yeah it's gotten ridiculously lengthy. I've shared everything that I've learned about the Ghost and reported on all of its outings.

Any reader should have a pretty good idea about the Ghost from these 40pages.
perhaps a cleaned up "ghostly book" sticky thing is appropriate.

Reactions: MysticalDragon

perhaps a cleaned up "ghostly book" sticky thing is appropriate.
That was somewhat the idea when I made the external trigger-specific post a week or so ago.

Because I've gone from a 19fpe .177, a nearly 50fpe .22, and a .20 (various fpe), it'd be really tough to condense it into a sticky, take home message, sort of thing. Basically, many miles covered. I suppose I could filter out the match results and performance, but that is also part of my Ghost experience, and it seems appropriate as part of the entire process.

I understand that the length is cumbersome. Picking what to remove would be my challenge in trying to summarize. I guess I'm just long-winded.