• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

BRK Ghost Review

How is the ghost when shooting without a rest. Free hand. Balance etc.

For the forced offhand and kneeling shots in field target I've been quite pleased with the Ghost. I've had more than one match where I successfully knocked down all the offhand shots while using the Ghost.

While shooting prairie dogs with Ben one took off at a dead run to get back to his hole, he was around 50 yards away. Most pdog shots are with them standing on top of their holes or feeding, in either case, stationary. But this runner wasn't gonna stop. I shouldered the Ghost and found him in the scope and lead him as I tracked through and squeezed the shot, much like one does when shooting a shotgun at a crossing bird/clay pigeon. Pop! as the slug connected and he rolled to a stop. Ben and I looked at each other in wide eyed shock. I'm not sure if me, the pdog, or Ben was most surprised by that shot. I was standing up when I took that shot.

That dog-on-the-run shot would not have been successful had I been using my primary field target gun. And I also doubt I could have connected with any of my Veterans, which I kinda consider my general use airguns.

The Ghost has been one of my favorite platforms for offhand shots.

My 22 carbine shoots like a dream offhand when I do my part. The balance is great and shoulders so well. My 30 Ghost is heavier because of the larger bottle and Cronus scope, but again very balanced to shoulder.

Cole and I took a couple of Pdogs right at the 45-50 yard mark when I went with him…nothing like going over a barb wire fence, go through a canal, to then realize you left you shooting sticks back at the house so offhand and kneeling it was.

The wife finds the ghost very pleasant to shoot off hand compared to her Red Wolf (apples to oranges I know) Not sure if she likes it better than her Huntsman, we haven’t talked about that.

Tony P

My 22 carbine shoots like a dream offhand when I do my part. The balance is great and shoulders so well. My 30 Ghost is heavier because of the larger bottle and Cronus scope, but again very balanced to shoulder.

Cole and I took a couple of Pdogs right at the 45-50 yard mark when I went with him…nothing like going over a barb wire fence, go through a canal, to then realize you left you shooting sticks back at the house so offhand and kneeling it was.

The wife finds the ghost very pleasant to shoot off hand compared to her Red Wolf (apples to oranges I know) Not sure if she likes it better than her Huntsman, we haven’t talked about that.

Tony P

Lol, yeah we did pretty good right there from offhand and kneeling with the Ghosts.

Kid Tested, Dad Approved.

Took my youngest on a pass through the dogtowns this afternoon. Of course we grabbed the Ghost.

Made me think of the old Kix Cereal slogan.

He got these three from 54-62 yards. .20/18.9gr NSA slugs. There were a couple more, out to 76 yards, but these were close to each other and easily retrievable for a photo.
View attachment 377620

Length of pull is a bit long for him but he made it work. Hardest part when they're this young is target acquisition. But I'd laser em, spin the turrets for him and then he'd get himself lined up and shoot....dead prairie dog.

We both had a ball.
Nice to see kids doing something besides video games. You should be proud. Would you mind sharing where you go for P Dogs in AZ. I used to go to Seligman but have not been there in a few years.
Thanks Dave

Nice to see kids doing something besides video games. You should be proud. Would you mind sharing where you go for P Dogs in AZ. I used to go to Seligman but have not been there in a few years.
Thanks Dave

Northern AZ. All privately owned land.

As you mentioned I've seen them along the sides of I-40 in the Seligman area.

The Valve

To preface this one, I want to reiterate that the Ghost experience I've had is unique. The serial on this one ends in 0013, which I take to mean the 13th off the line. It was in my hands for testing 4 weeks prior to product launch. It came with components that were a surprise to AOA staff, and supposedly were not ever meant to have made it to the US market. In short, the Ghost that I was sent to review was not quite a prototype, but also not quite the production version.

With that preface....the third valve started leaking recently. And I think I finally know why I've had trouble with them.

To recap....
The valve that was installed by the factory started leaking in early December, if memory serves. AOA sent me a replacement valve and it held air until about a month ago, at which time AOA sent me a third valve. The third only held air for 2 weeks. AOA just recently sent me a 4th valve and it is in the gun now, holding air.
Valve 1 and 2 were identical in every way that I could measure.
Valve 3 and 4 are identical in every way, but different than 1 and 2.

My assumptions, based on valve inspections and experience with them is that 1 and 2 were not the more recently released "Ultra Valve," while 3 and 4 ARE the Ultra Valve.

And yes, the BRK Ghost, the Alpha Wolf, and the Delta Wolf all use the same valve (the most recent iteration being the "Ultra").

The three leaker valves all exhibited the same leak, air coming out of the barrel, a strong indicator that the poppet/valve stem is the culprit. I replaced orings, and even tried lapping the poppet to the face of the valve that it seals on and could not make any of the leaker valves hold air again. Valve 1 and 2 did not come with a buffer oring in the bottom of the valve stem pocket, on the opposite end of the valve stem from where the hammer strikes it.
What I'm calling the buffer oring is the little white loose oring in this photo. As near as I can tell, it is not a sealing oring, but a buffer to prevent the valve stem from impacting the steel blind hole/pocket. And yes, inclusion/omission has an effect on shot cycle/power output.
View attachment 380787

And the pocket it sits in.....
View attachment 380788

Valve 3 and 4 DID come with that buffer oring, but I removed it, with the thought process being that I wanted to match my known fps for each of the 3 power wheel settings that I've been using for each of the 3 .20 projectiles that I've been shooting. (I also shimmed the valve return spring b/c it improves the shot cycle but I don't think that was the cause of my problems). And configuring it like the previous valve DID mostly replicate what I was seeing from the previous valve. But valve #3 started leaking within 2 weeks, so something was wrong.

Upon receipt of the 4th valve I remembered that saying about repetition and expecting different results.....So I decided to install the valve as-received. I left that buffer oring in place and I did not shim the valve return spring. I figured a long chrony session to find new wheel settings was the lesser of the two evils over a 4th leaky valve. So into the gun it went, straight OEM. And the 4th valve is holding air after quite a few shots. Yes, shot cycle is different, and yes I needed to find new wheel settings to get to the desired 805-810fps with .20/13.73, 910-915fps with .20/15.89, and 875fps with .20/18.9 NSA slugs.

So what was the reason for the leaky valves? I'm not 100% positive but I'm thinking that buffer oring is the answer. AOA told me they had leaker valves back around the end of the 2022, but weren't seeing anymore in the the more recent guns. My first two leaker valves were from that time frame. Neither of those had that buffer oring. I think Daystate/BRK realized it was necessary b/c the 3rd valve had it. Of course I'm a dummy and removed the buffer oring from the 3rd valve prior to install and had the exact same issue as valve 1 and 2. I think that valves without that buffer oring allow the valve stem to be damaged. And I can't determine if the damage is from an imperceptibly bent valve stem, or from the composite poppet partially separating from the metal valve stem. Part of the reason that I've come to this conclusion is that the valves have a metallic ping when used at higher hammer spring settings and without the buffer oring. I think that ping was the valve stem slamming into that steel pocket, and eventually being damaged from it, over the course of thousands of shots. With the 4th valve installed (WITH buffer oring) and "max" on the hammer spring tension, the ping is absent.

I think (and I'm hoping) that the buffer oring prevents valve stem damage.

I'm really excited to have the Ghost back up and running!
Great information ✅

For the forced offhand and kneeling shots in field target I've been quite pleased with the Ghost. I've had more than one match where I successfully knocked down all the offhand shots while using the Ghost.

While shooting prairie dogs with Ben one took off at a dead run to get back to his hole, he was around 50 yards away. Most pdog shots are with them standing on top of their holes or feeding, in either case, stationary. But this runner wasn't gonna stop. I shouldered the Ghost and found him in the scope and lead him as I tracked through and squeezed the shot, much like one does when shooting a shotgun at a crossing bird/clay pigeon. Pop! as the slug connected and he rolled to a stop. Ben and I looked at each other in wide eyed shock. I'm not sure if me, the pdog, or Ben was most surprised by that shot. I was standing up when I took that shot.

That dog-on-the-run shot would not have been successful had I been using my primary field target gun. And I also doubt I could have connected with any of my Veterans, which I kinda consider my general use airguns.

The Ghost has been one of my favorite platforms for offhand shots.
What barrel length is your.20?

What barrel length is your.20?

.20 barrel is 18inch if I remember correctly. A 12 land and groove Lothar from Benjamins failed attempt at acquiring at least one Sterling Armaments airgun patent and producing them. The project got as far as moving all the old stock LW barrels from England to the US, stalling sometime thereafter. Details of course second hand from the friend who acquired 4 or 5 of those Sterling LW barrels in .20, and details also subject to my memory.

Spent some time trying to measure orings for the valve....

Keep in mind that I'm measuring used orings. I'm not positive these are the correct sizes, but I measured carefully as I could, and if I was was going to buy a bunch of orings to have on hand to reseal the valve, these are what I would order.

This is what I'm getting...
There are only 8 orings in the Ghosts valve.

valve orings.jpg

• (cross section x inner diameter)
  • 1.9mm x 2.8mm (x2) white, and hard so likely cast polyurethane. Might get away with a 90D buna here as I'm not finding a cast urethane with these specs online. One of these is the buffer oring in the pocket at the end of the valve stem opposite the end that the hammer taps, The other lives in a groove on the same end of the valve stem.
  • 1.9mm x 14.5mm (x3) black so probably buna. I'd guess in the 70D range for hardness. These are the three exterior orings that seal the valve to the monoblock/chassis.
  • 1.5mm x 4mm (x1) black so probably buna. Seems to also be in the 70d range for hardness. This one lives in the other groove in the valve stem (end of stem closest to where hammer taps).
  • 1.5mm x 9 mm (x1) black so probably buna, again seems to be 70D. This one is external, and lives on the rear portion of the valve on what I consider the valve stem guide.
  • 1.5mm x 17mm (x1) black so probably buna, again seems to be a 70D. This one is also external. To me this one seems redundant but seems to be a seal for the threaded plug that holds in the valve.
Nobody likely to need these specs anytime in the next few years, but eventually somebody will need to reseal a Ghost, as orings get old.

Spent some time trying to measure orings for the valve....

Keep in mind that I'm measuring used orings. I'm not positive these are the correct sizes, but I measured carefully as I could, and if I was was going to buy a bunch of orings to have on hand to reseal the valve, these are what I would order.

This is what I'm getting...
There are only 8 orings in the Ghosts valve.

View attachment 382899

• (cross section x inner diameter)
  • 1.9mm x 2.8mm (x2) white, and hard so likely cast polyurethane. Might get away with a 90D buna here as I'm not finding a cast urethane with these specs online. One of these is the buffer oring in the pocket at the end of the valve stem opposite the end that the hammer taps, The other lives in a groove on the same end of the valve stem.
  • 1.9mm x 14.5mm (x3) black so probably buna. I'd guess in the 70D range for hardness. These are the three exterior orings that seal the valve to the monoblock/chassis.
  • 1.5mm x 4mm (x1) black so probably buna. Seems to also be in the 70d range for hardness. This one lives in the other groove in the valve stem (end of stem closest to where hammer taps).
  • 1.5mm x 9 mm (x1) black so probably buna, again seems to be 70D. This one is external, and lives on the rear portion of the valve on what I consider the valve stem guide.
  • 1.5mm x 17mm (x1) black so probably buna, again seems to be a 70D. This one is also external. To me this one seems redundant but seems to be a seal for the threaded plug that holds in the valve.
Nobody likely to need these specs anytime in the next few years, but eventually somebody will need to reseal a Ghost, as orings get old.
I’m considering getting a ghost carbine in .177 which has a 17”? Barrel
wonder what if any will the accuracy be affected at 55 yards

I’m considering getting a ghost carbine in .177 which has a 17”? Barrel
wonder what if any will the accuracy be affected at 55 yards

In the earlier pages of this review you can find the results I had with the 17" .177 barrel. The short version is that after a good barrel polish with JB bore paste, I shot a 47/48 with that barrel, using the JSB 10.34s @ the October field target match of the Airgunners of Arizona club.

Had some enjoyment with the Ghost yesterday at dusk.

PXL_20230830_015353258.jpg

The hope was to get a couple prairie dogs in the 45 minute window I had before my daughter needed picked up from dance. This location is only about 2 miles from my house so the plan should have worked....except all the prairie dogs went to bed early. I saw exactly one, and he was booking it to his hole. So I got zero, but the 45 minutes wasn't a waste. Quite the opposite actually, because I got some long range shooting in with almost zero wind, and I got to experience that magical time we all know as dusk.

As for the shooting, the soil in my area is generally rather rocky. When the farmers plow, the rocks come to the top. And they make great targets. Hit the rock, no dust. Miss the rock, dust cloud. And usually you can see the impact on the rock. So I was lasering golf ball sized rocks out to 120 yards and connecting with ease, and softball sized rocks out to 190yards, and also connecting on them rather readily. I only took about 50 shots, all with the .20/18.9gr NSA slugs @ 870-875fps. The ease with which those slugs will connect on long range targets is almost unbelievable. I was the only one around, and giggling to myself in amazement. If there'd been anyone else around to see me giggling I'm sure they'd have questioned my sanity. But I was having fun and pretty happy with what the Ghost .20 was doing.

Aldo Leopold once said something along the lines of "some people can live without wild things, and some cannot." I am a cannot. My profession is one spent entirely indoors. And it almost drives me crazy. Not laughing at slugs hitting the intended target at 190yds crazy, but actually crazy. Getting to spend some time outdoors, experiencing nature and all that it is, simply soothes my soul. It makes everything in my world right again. Dusk did that for me yesterday. During the shooting I paused a couple times to marvel at the killdeer through the scope, darting this way and that, also enjoying the last of the days light. I was treated to the sound of the squabbling of wild ducks in the pond near me. The deep, rich smell of fresh cut alfalfa wafted around, to de-javu me straight to younger years and similar evenings spent marinating in the aroma of fresh cut hay. As I was wondering and reminiscing, generally enjoying myself, I missed that the moon was rising over all of this. As for the cliche of a picture being worth a thousand words.....
PXL_20230830_014808163.jpg

And one with some zoom.
PXL_20230830_014837680.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

Here is the peaceful little pond where the ducks had been. They vacated as I approached and the waters stilled as I sat there taking it all in.
PXL_20230830_014819234.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

I gathered up and headed out of the area, content in the shooting and the experience of dusk, only to make it a couple hundred yards back towards public roads...and see this sunset. Talk about a capstone to a great 45 minutes.
PXL_20230830_015549550.jpg

As I've contemplated on yesterday evening I've come to the realization that perhaps I enjoy airguns so much simply because they give me a reason to be outside and have the opportunity for experiences like the one I just floundered around at describing.

Last edited:
Thanks for a great sharing, I am also a "Cannot" and would not trade.... I just bought a 22 Ghost Plus and somehow missed the best settings you found for the 22 set on lower power for the best shot group ??? Just looking for a starting point... and all of the great shooting ahead.... OH and your "Hard Sell" pushed me over the edge, LOL...

The .22 barrel I played with was an HP, so 23 inches long and polygonal rifled.

If I understand correctly, the Ghost Carbine and Ghost Plus both have a 17inch barrel with 12 land and groove rifling. The difference being a longer shroud and larger bottle on the Plus. I played with a similar barrel in .177 but not .22. HOWEVER, Tony owns a Ghost with a17 inch .22 barrel just like yours and it was potent medicine on the prairie dogs when he came up last month. I'll tag him and hopefully he can share some settings as a starting point for you when he sees this. @pesty3782

I have played with a few tunes and all of them shot pretty good. I shoot 18’s as you can see I get really good consistent strings in the 880’s and 870’s range.

Reg 120 PW Min. 877H 872L 875A. ES 5 and SD 1.8

Reg 115 PW 14 888H 879L 885A. ES 9 and SD 3.2

Reg 110 PW 16 873H 869L 871A ES 4 SD 1.3

Hope this gives you a good starting point.

Tony P

The .22 barrel I played with was an HP, so 23 inches long and polygonal rifled.

If I understand correctly, the Ghost Carbine and Ghost Plus both have a 17inch barrel with 12 land and groove rifling. The difference being a longer shroud and larger bottle on the Plus. I played with a similar barrel in .177 but not .22. HOWEVER, Tony owns a Ghost with a17 inch .22 barrel just like yours and it was potent medicine on the prairie dogs when he came up last month. I'll tag him and hopefully he can share some settings as a starting point for you when he sees this. @pesty3782
Also just found out that A of A just sold me a .177 ghost rifle with a 17 inch .22 barrel as a .22 rifle... Ask them and they said all of the basic guns, power .177-.22-.25 were the same only difference was the barrel caliber... Does this make any since... It was the Plus model and is the correct length, ie. 29 inches....

thanks, Dean