BRK Ghost Review

This topic was formerly titled: "Reviewing an Airgun That Doesn’t Officially Exist: A Peculiar Endeavor"

Posts #1-30 were made prior to 10/13/22. Lots of photos and more identifying information from post #31 and on.

foam.jpg

I was recently asked to do an analysis of a new airgun, with one big kicker: I can’t start the public review series prior to the official product launch. With this being the flagship gun of a new name in airgun manufacturing......my response? (after about a half-a-second delay) “heck yeah! but that’s going to be tough.” Still on the phone, my brain was going 90 miles an hour as I think through the logistics of how to make this work. With my reviews in the past, I’ve been transparent, sharing any and everything I have learned; performance, shot strings, accuracy, in-depth photos of the inner workings of the gun etc. And I’ve always done that in nearly real-time, sometimes even on a daily basis. I consider that my standard operating procedure when I get a gun. So my first thought (and how I responded) was that I’ll just do what I do, and save files for all the write-ups, and then release them after the product launch. A day or two goes by and I get a call saying they’ve discussed it, and that I can start the review series, releasing information publicly, as it’s compiled, BUT that I can’t share anything that would identify the gun, again, prior to the official release. They told me to essentially consider this thing a ghost when it comes to identifying details or photos. Still going to be tricky, but might be kinda fun. Almost a reverse review, share all the details, and maybe even some sneak peak, non-identifying photos, and then announce the name of the gun and manufacturer at a later date. Should be interesting. One thought here, some people hate suspense, my wife being one of them. She’ll vote to turn off a movie or stop reading a book as soon as there’s some intrigue. If you’re that type, check back in a few weeks and start at the most recent post and work your way backwards, lol. If you don’t mind some anticipation and have some patience that the big reveal will eventually happen, this review is for you.

And of course, all of this is the airgun industry creating some excitement for a new product. Sometimes that excitement is falsely inflated, but in the case of this particular gun, I think many shooters will be as excited for it as the manufacturer hopes they are. I say that because I’ve read more than one random comment from airgun shooters, wondering aloud why this particular gun isn’t made. Well, now it is, and eventually it’ll be made public and available for purchase. And I also say that I think the excitement will match the hype because I’m personally pretty excited about the gun. And not just because I get to spend some time shooting it, but also because of what it represents. There’s some cool stuff going on with the design, and the premise behind why it was designed the way it was. From what I'm hearing, there are massive plans for aftermarket customization, ALL kinds of goodies available to turn this gun into exactly what the shooter wants. And yes, those goodies represent sales, but they also allow the gun to be configured for very specific uses and moldable for distinct preferences on the shooter side of the equation. So it's been fun to go over the design in this first week and see something and realize, "oh, I see why they did that right there, so that the owner can swap this part out for x to make it be better for NRL or benchrest or field target or come back to or just leave the oem part to be better for hunting or general use " and so on and so forth.

First off, let’s start out with what I’ve so far learned/know about the gun, and what I can share...
(in no particular order)

General (all configurations)...
  • Chassis gun, no wood or laminate
  • Modular nature
  • “Bullpup” layout
  • Biathlon cocking lever, located right above the trigger (no rear-cocking bullpup here)
  • Bottle gun- and actually a valved bottle, so it can be unscrewed slightly to segregate air supply for regulator adjustments, without dumping the whole bottle (air within the plenum/innards needs to be shot out after unscrewing bottle and prior to lowering reg pressure)
  • Regulated, and externally adjustable, as described above
  • 250 bar max fill
  • Lothar Walther barrels
  • Barrel kits will be available (caliber swaps, different lengths, etc)
  • All calibers have the same valve, so going from a .177 to a .25, for example, is possible
  • Trigger linkages and sears are in a unique cassette-like format
  • Being a bullpup, obviously has linkages, but multiple adjustments at the trigger (first stage tension, etc)
  • Main sears at rear of gun drop out like a cassette, parts are finely machined, no obviously stamped components, everything but the pins are hard-anodized
  • There is a cover in the frame of the gun, above the trigger, that lets a guy see what they’re adjusting (when cover is removed)
  • Shrouded barrels and shroud has 1/2x20 standard threads at muzzle end to allow for addition of moderator
  • Dual manometers, one on each side of the gun, left side shows reg pressure, right side shows bottle pressure (I might have to throw a digital gauge on in place of the analog reg gauge, just for giggles!)
  • deleted
  • Male foster for filling the gun has a sintered filter down inside, to keep particulate from getting in the gun (nice addition)
  • Adjustable cheek piece (first thing I adjusted on the gun)
  • Adjustable butt-plate, for height (second thing I adjusted on the gun)
  • Picatinny scope rail, and plenty long for various levels of eye relief/types of scope
  • Side pic rails present as well
  • Ventral pic rail also (bipod!!!)
  • Comes with BEEFY hard case (think airline approved gun case, okay I don’t know if it really is, but it has that look)
  • Comes with various allen keys, spare orings, fittings to get air in the tank
  • Surprised to see that it has paperwork, so the manufacturer is far enough along in the new product release process that they have stuff printed
  • MSRP is what most people will consider mid-tier, although I’ve been inside guns in the same price range that weren’t machined as well as this one appears to be nor did they give an as overall "solid" impression (the read between the lines there is that it SEEMS like it's going to be a lot of gun for the money, partly on it's own merit as a stand-alone gun, but also largely due to the planned aftermarket support/customization options)​

Specific to the gun I was sent...
  • .177 and obviously a “compact” configuration
  • OAL without a moderator = 26”
  • OAL with a 4 and 5/8inch mod = 30 and 1/8 inches
  • 300cc bottle
  • 12 shot magazine, loading 10.34gr pellets I remarked at how deep the mag wells are
  • Reg pressure came at 120bar
  • I would guess it weighs around 6-7lbs without a scope
  • OEM trigger pull-10 shot average was 1lb 4.5oz
    • I was able to adjust it down to a 10 shot average of 9.1oz, I suspect it’ll lighten up and lose another couple ounces with use
10 pull average of OEM...
oem trigger weight.jpg

10 pull average after some adjustment...
trigger weight, post-adjustment.jpg

Here are some non-identifying snaps from the trigger mechanism...
Those two bolts come out and that cassette like configuration of sears drops out of the gun. Really unique, TIGHT machining on the various sub assemblies (like this one).
cassette trigger drops out with removal of those two screws.jpg

Photos of that sear cassette, from all sides....
final sear.jpg

cassette trigger.jpg

cassette trigger2.jpg

trigger.jpg

While I've had it about a week, I’ve thus far only shot the gun for one fill, from 240-110bar. I didn’t change the reg pressure or even the hammer tension from how it arrived. It came at max hammer tension, determined via the hammer spring tension adjustment. In that one fill, I shot 5 magazines (60 shots). All were taken at paper at 50 yards. The first shot was on paper but needed some scope adjustments. I also swapped scopes after about 2 and a half magazines, determining that the first scope’s reticle was too thick for paper punching. So then I had to zero the second scope. I was also dealing with 15-20mph wind in my completely open back pasture. I’ve got nothing but empty fields on my east side, and of course the wind was coming from the east that day and there is nothing to break up the easterly winds. Really poor accuracy testing conditions but I wanted to shoot the gun bad enough that I went ahead with it. Initially had big plans to do accuracy assessment with about 15 different pellets and slugs, but wind came up just about the time I got everything set up. So, all 5 magazine were just shot with JSB 10.34grain pellets.

Here’s the first (and only) groups out of the gun…..

initial shooting.jpg

Nothing too impressive, until I got to that last group, the one that I’m pointing at. I’ll get to that in a minute though.

I was shooting over a chrono and was pleasantly surprised to see how consistent the gun is. First magazine had an ES of 9 and an average of 937fps, just a bit hot for sub 20fpe field target. The next 3 magazines all were above 925 and below 937, so, 48 shots with an ES of 12. Before the fifth magazine I was right under 120 bar so expected fps to come down. They did, like a rock. That last 12 shots was from 923 down to 895, and that’s the group that I’m pointing at. So, the barrel seems to like the 10.34s at probably 910-915 fps MUCH better than it did at 930fps. Pretty sure it's got too much hammer tension. I suspect that coming down on that hammer tension adjustment a couple clicks, maybe around the 15 mark, won't lose much fps but likely gain in shot count. I'll eventually drill down on all the settings and arrive at some reg pressures/hammer tensions/projectiles that are easily repeatable and fit a couple different uses, as well as providing the high level of accuracy that I'm after.

The current plan is to test what I consider light pellets (7.87-9.57grains).
light pellets.jpg

I'll run a different test group of "heavy" pellets...
heavy pellets.jpg

And finally, I'll see how it does with the slugs that I have on hand...
slugs.jpg

There's a bit of overlap in my planned projectile testing with different brandings coming from same manufacturer, but sometimes a different batch will shoot light and day different so it's worth it to try them out. It'll also serve as an indicator of whether or not this barrel is going to be cantankerous about specific batches, or if it's going to play nice and be tolerant of a wide range of projectiles/batches.

REALLY early in this whole process but so far really liking what I’m seeing. I’m very likely to address any of the aforementioned details in much greater depth as I spend time with it. And it sounds like they're giving me a pretty loose leash, both in regards to what I share about the gun, the direction(s) I take with it, and the length of time I have to do all that. BUT, we'll get there, the next step is to do simple accuracy assessments with a wide range of projectiles.

Unfortunately I won’t be able to play 20 questions about the gun. Ie, I can neither confirm nor deny any guesses, assumptions, declarations, etc that come about because of this review in the timeframe between now and the manufacturer’s official product launch. I will, however, answer (as best I can) any questions that don’t identify the gun (general performance, “how does it shoot X pellet?” etc).

Last edited:
Franklink, as usual I first went to see the images and this is what I got...

"The requested page could not be found." for every one of them.

So, I didn't read the rest of the post... sorry. (smile)

p.s.

So NOW the pics show up! LOL! You must have been uploading them when I first read this post.

Guess I'll have to read the rest of the post! (chuckle)

I have already seen the gun , Its a closed combat Wombat in 177 caliber, Its got its own built in 5000 PSI compressor DC powered in the barrel, Self loading pellets with a full auto switch with a 8500,00 pellets per second rate of fire, Water cooled barrel with the extra water hose fittings, Gun weighs 2lbs with empty magazine , 8 LBS with full 1225. shot magazine. A 50 dollar deposit will hold the gun for 12 years until they are made, Full refund after 10 years , Full warranty for 5 years or until you open the box, Ten pound trigger pull for ten shots then will lighten up to one pound using 3 1/2 pound 177 caliber pellets shooting at 900 FPS down hill only.. caution is advised this is a high pressure PCP gun , Five china men three UPS drivers and seven house wifes have lost there lives trying to open the box..
Thanks Wombat dealer since 1807
Mike

I have already seen the gun , Its a closed combat Wombat in 177 caliber, Its got its own built in 5000 PSI compressor DC powered in the barrel, Self loading pellets with a full auto switch with a 8500,00 pellets per second rate of fire, Water cooled barrel with the extra water hose fittings, Gun weighs 2lbs with empty magazine , 8 LBS with full 1225. shot magazine. A 50 dollar deposit will hold the gun for 12 years until they are made, Full refund after 10 years , Full warranty for 5 years or until you open the box, Ten pound trigger pull for ten shots then will lighten up to one pound using 3 1/2 pound 177 caliber pellets shooting at 900 FPS down hill only.. caution is advised this is a high pressure PCP gun , Five china men three UPS drivers and seven house wifes have lost there lives trying to open the box..
Thanks Wombat dealer since 1807
Mike
Where do I pay my $50? (chuckle)

Could I just pay $5 for 1.2 years wait time. I mean, that would be much shorter than 12 years... right? (silly grin)

Good one!

Last edited:
From your description, it sounds like a well thought out first offering. I wonder if it is a prototype of one version of the Skout Epoch.

Is the cocking handle reversible to the left side? I like being able to keep my shooting hand on the grip while I work the mechanism with my off hand.
Yes, the cocking lever is reversible to the left side. The cheek rest can also be reversed to be lefty-friendly. And the magazine can be loaded into the gun from left or right side. All of that making it a fully lefty-compatible gun. (I'll need to take a look at the safety to see how that would work for left-handed users. It's a cross-bar/push-button type so it it should be fine.)

Eventually I'll be able to share photos and a description of the process to swap the cocking lever over to the left side.

With my work schedule I’ve not had much time at home, while it’s light outside, for about the past week. I have, however, spent some late night hours with the gun at my work bench. At this point I’ve had many more work bench sessions with the gun than shooting bench sessions. And not necessarily work bench sessions where I’m making any changes to the gun, mostly close examinations, but also some disassembly. On that note, my career is a never-ending series of non-tangible, non-tactile tasks, to which there’s never really an endpoint, as it’s a perpetually occurring need. Because I enjoy manual projects but don’t get to do stuff “with my hands” at work, I’ve found that hands-on experiences outside of work fill a void. So, depending on the project and up to a certain point; I like to see how things work and what makes them tick. Furthermore, in my analysis of guns and subsequent sharing of what I learn, I have found it helpful to have a familiarity of the mechanisms that collectively make it perform its intended function. And finally, I’m just curious.

So, as I’ve examined and taken it (partially) apart I’ve learned a few more details and want to share.

Rear Picatinny Rail

Somehow I’ve (up to last night) missed that it has a section of pic rail at the rear/bottom of the gun. With the growth and popularity of bench shooting it feels like we’ve seen an explosion in the invention of various and useful aftermarket products intended to be added to rear picatinny rails like this one. Something like one of the little rear monopods or a bag rider should fit right on this gun. I recently saw an advertisement for a cool little bag rider with a built in mechanism for elevation, a miniature adjustment wheel like the heavy front benchrests have. THAT would be perfect for bench use with this gun.

Front Picatinny Rail

As previously mentioned, there is a front pic accessory rail. I understand that there will be aftermarket products similar to this, but I doubt any will have a UIT/Anschutz rail. My uses for a .177 airgun are: pesting and paper shooting but also potentially field target. I prefer to shoot ft using a knee riser, and my favorite knee riser has an UIT/Anshutz rail. So I need a way to get my knee riser on this gun in case I end up shooting it at a match, so I’m in the process of cobbling this together. Had it all but the $15 quick connect that attaches the contraption to the gun. When it comes to customization, pic rails are awesome.

Rear UIT rail is for the knee riser and front pic rail for bipod use, placing it further forward on the gun for bench shooting. The long delrin bar extends under the air bottle.

PXL_20220927_081048864.jpg

PXL_20220927_080956214.jpg

Quick shooting session early this AM

Only had time for a few shots but this was the first magazine, 30 yards, 12 shots with FX labeled JSB 10.34s, no idea what speed but hammer spring tension was at about 75% and reg pressure still at 120. Just holding on the nearest crosshairs and shooting for a group so it's no centered on a target but it’s showing some potential!!

PXL_20220927_151817469.jpg

Got a good chuckle to myself as I was walking through the morning dewy grass in my flip flops to get targets placed-wrong continent though. Had some “barefoot in America” vibes to it. And just to clarify, flip flops are basically my house shoes, if I’m doing something outside, 99% of the time I’ve got appropriate (read: NOT flip flops) footwear on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Macros and L.Leon
Looks like some high quality parts / machining in the photographs so far.

If that part you identify with the blue dot truly is the hammer, you can see that it has been lubricated with a high viscosity globs of Grease which create a lot of drag in a hammer. They would do better to remove the this viscous grease and lubricate it with dry powdered graphite or molybdenum disulfide for instance. See what the chronograph tells you as far as consistency of velocity (extreme spread and standard deviation).

(These are running about a day late, the info in the below post was from yesterday and the previous night. I had another work-bench session last night and I'm very excited to do some shooting this morning to see what effect those changes had).

Another late night work bench session. Pulled the barrel and gave it a good examination and cleaning.

Barrel

It measures exactly 17 inches long for this configuration.

The O ring that seals the pellet probe area is the typical groove machined into the barrel

The barrel is machined in an interesting way that I’ll probably need to be vague about, most I can say there is that the thinnest OD of the barrel was 0.538 (not quite 14mm) but there are areas where it’s thicker.

Definitely a 12 land and groove LW.
pellet.jpg

pellet1.jpg

Pushed some pellets through it to see how the bore “feels.” I did this vertically and there was enough resistance for the length of the barrel to hold up the one piece cleaning rod, if just barely. Overall seems pretty consistent.

It is choked but seems to have an Interesting choke. Most choked barrels that I’ve pushed pellets through have felt like it was all-at-once, got tight QUICK, an almost distinct ring/choke type of feel. This barrel has more of a gradual feel, like the constriction that is the choke is more progressive, versus all at once. More of a tapered choke feel. And at its narrowest, not very tight in comparison to many that I’ve felt.

Leade and Transfer Port

Transfer port measures 0.14 inches, which would make it just under 80% of caliber. And the design is the type that has the transfer port cut into the side of the barrel.

I would classify the leade as more pronounced than most. Pretty serious angle/enlarged area cut into the bore. I Dropped a pellet in and the pellet will drop (with just gravity) to the point that the transfer port is right at the pellet waist. My first thought was, “uh-oh, wonder if this thing doesn’t seat the pellet past the tp?” So, put the barrel back in the gun, chambered a pellet, de-cocked and pulled the barrel to see how far the probe seats it. Pleasantly relieved to find that the pellet probe seats the entire pellet past the transfer port.

I also inspected about 15 pellets after pushing them through the entire length and couldn’t find any damage done to any of them, outside of rifling doing its thing. Also, could not find anything resembling a burr on the inside of the transfer port, visually or by swirling a qtip around (at entrance and exit of tp) to see if it snagged any fibers.

Crown

To go with the relatively aggressive leade, it also has a rather pronounced crown. Lots of debate about what is best, and I’ve seen various types of crowns shoot well. The two best barrels that I’ve come across in this airgunning craziness have vastly different crowns, one is rounded and the other is just a flat 90 degree cut to the bore with hardly any smoothing of the transition out of the barrel. And both shoot really well. The crown on this gun though, I would classify as the 11 degree type. Although I didn’t measure it to see if it truly is 11 degrees, just that style of crown.

Did the qtip test on the edge of the crown and also didn’t snag any fibers. To my eye, looks good.

crown.jpg

crown1.jpg

Another early morning shooting session before work

I woke up just a bit earlier today and had enough time to shoot 1 fill through the gun (250 bar down to just above 120). All shots taken at 55 yards.

Same paper I shared yesterday, so that 12 (edit-13) shot group taken at 30 yards will look familiar if you’re following along. It was already in the target trap and easy enough to just go with it, so I did.

The right column of targets was various aim points and adjustments on the hammer spring tnesion, and wasn’t very impressive. Gun was feeling a bit harsh and accuracy was meh. That right column was pretty shot up before I decided to turn down the hammer spring tension to “MIN”, just wondering how much velocity would drop. And then shots started going where I wanted them to! And only hitting about ¾ to 1 inch lower than they were with the hammer spring tension from 12-18. I wasn’t shooting over the chrono so don’t know actual velocity, but ¾ of an inch drop @ 55 yards suggests I was probably still shooting them 800+. (I’ll eventually get a bunch of scientific chrono data but the 30 or 40 minutes I had this morning wasn’t enough time to go down that rabbit hole).

(Edit: shot one magazine of 10.34s over the chrono with it at "MIN" since I typed this and it averaged 894, with an ES of 12. So, as-delivered reg pressure of 120bar still, MAX on hammer spring tension = 930-935 and MIN = 894.)

I went on to shoot 1 magazine at each of the bulls in the left column, and then three more magazines off in the left margin after the first shot from each mag created a hole that became the aim point for the other 11.

Some of those 13 shot groups are just slightly bigger than a dime.

dime.jpg

dime1.jpg

dime2.jpg

Extended UIT and pic rail

I finished the ventral rail extension. It’ll now let me extend the bipod more towards the muzzle, and I can mount my knee riser in case I shoot this gun in a field target match. Man o man does this gun look cool. REALLY wish I could share some pics of the whole thing…..soon enough I’ll be able to. You’ll just have to take my word on it for now.

Conclusions

I’m thinking that the regulator pressure needs to come down for the 10grain and under projectiles.

I also had another reinforcing experience suggesting that the barrel doesn’t like to go fast, at least with the 10.34s.

I’m getting the impression that the hammer spring tension adjustment is VERY fine adjustments (edit-difference of about 40feet per second from max and min on the hammer spring tension, with 10.34grain pellets and 120 bar reg pressure). Regulator for big adjustments, hammer spring tension for fine-tuning.

When an airgun company uses the same parts for various calibers it’s a double-edged sword. I think this gun is currently too hot for 10 and under grain pellets. But they did it the right way, by going with an externally adjustable regulator and using an appropriate-to-caliber sized transfer port. Some companies will use the same tp size for various calibers and that just makes tuning tough for the .177s. So, the gun acts like it’s capable of moving some air and if I end up with a larger caliber barrel, I’ll be glad that it can. For now though, trying to force too much air through that 0.140 sized tp seems to have been causing some less than stellar accuracy issues.

Finally, I’m counting something like 115 shots taken this morning, from one fill. Pretty good for just a little 300cc bottle. Guessing fpe was between 17-20fpe for all that. If it’ll still put out 20fpe with a lower reg pressure but perhaps more hammer tension, I think we’ll find that shot count increases further.

Last edited:
(These are running about a day late, the info in the below post was from yesterday and the previous night. I had another work-bench session last night and I'm very excited to do some shooting this morning to see what effect those changes had).

Another late night work bench session. Pulled the barrel and gave it a good examination and cleaning.

Barrel

It measures exactly 17 inches long for this configuration.

The O ring that seals the pellet probe area is the typical groove machined into the barrel

The barrel is machined in an interesting way that I’ll probably need to be vague about, most I can say there is that the thinnest OD of the barrel was 0.538 (not quite 14mm) but there are areas where it’s thicker.

Definitely a 12 land and groove LW.
View attachment 293458
View attachment 293459

Pushed some pellets through it to see how the bore “feels.” I did this vertically and there was enough resistance for the length of the barrel to hold up the one piece cleaning rod, if just barely. Overall seems pretty consistent.

It is choked but seems to have an Interesting choke. Most choked barrels that I’ve pushed pellets through have felt like it was all-at-once, got tight QUICK, an almost distinct ring/choke type of feel. This barrel has more of a gradual feel, like the constriction that is the choke is more progressive, versus all at once. More of a tapered choke feel. And at its narrowest, not very tight in comparison to many that I’ve felt.

Leade and Transfer Port

Transfer port measures 0.14 inches, which would make it just under 80% of caliber. And the design is the type that has the transfer port cut into the side of the barrel.

I would classify the leade as more pronounced than most. Pretty serious angle/enlarged area cut into the bore. I Dropped a pellet in and the pellet will drop (with just gravity) to the point that the transfer port is right at the pellet waist. My first thought was, “uh-oh, wonder if this thing doesn’t seat the pellet past the tp?” So, put the barrel back in the gun, chambered a pellet, de-cocked and pulled the barrel to see how far the probe seats it. Pleasantly relieved to find that the pellet probe seats the entire pellet past the transfer port.

I also inspected about 15 pellets after pushing them through the entire length and couldn’t find any damage done to any of them, outside of rifling doing its thing. Also, could not find anything resembling a burr on the inside of the transfer port, visually or by swirling a qtip around (at entrance and exit of tp) to see if it snagged any fibers.

Crown

To go with the relatively aggressive leade, it also has a rather pronounced crown. Lots of debate about what is best, and I’ve seen various types of crowns shoot well. The two best barrels that I’ve come across in this airgunning craziness have vastly different crowns, one is rounded and the other is just a flat 90 degree cut to the bore with hardly any smoothing of the transition out of the barrel. And both shoot really well. The crown on this gun though, I would classify as the 11 degree type. Although I didn’t measure it to see if it truly is 11 degrees, just that style of crown.

Did the qtip test on the edge of the crown and also didn’t snag any fibers. To my eye, looks good.

View attachment 293460
View attachment 293461

Another early morning shooting session before work

I woke up just a bit earlier today and had enough time to shoot 1 fill through the gun (250 bar down to just above 120). All shots taken at 55 yards.

Same paper I shared yesterday, so that 12 (edit-13) shot group taken at 30 yards will look familiar if you’re following along. It was already in the target trap and easy enough to just go with it, so I did.

The right column of targets was various aim points and adjustments on the power wheel, and wasn’t very impressive. Gun was feeling a bit harsh and accuracy was meh. That right column was pretty shot up before I decided to turn down the power wheel to “MIN”, just wondering how much velocity would drop. And then shots started going where I wanted them too! And only hitting about ¾ to 1 inch lower than they were with the wheel from 12-18. I wasn’t shooting over the chrono so don’t know actual velocity, but ¾ of an inch drop @ 55 yards suggests I was probably still shooting them 800+. (I’ll eventually get a bunch of scientific chrono data but the 30 or 40 minutes I had this morning wasn’t enough time to go down that rabbit hole).

(Edit: shot one magazine of 10.34s over the chrono with it at "MIN" since I typed this and it averaged 894, with an ES of 12. So, as-delivered reg pressure of 120bar still, MAX on hammer tension wheel = 930-935 and MIN = 894. I also learned in that chrono session that I cannot count. One magazine = 13 shots, not 12.)

I went on to shoot 1 magazine at each of the bulls in the left column, and then three more magazines off in the left margin after the first shot from each mag created a hole that became the aim point for the other 11.

Some of those 12 (edit-13) shot groups are just slightly bigger than a dime.

View attachment 293454
View attachment 293455
View attachment 293456

Extended UIT and pic rail

I finished the ventral rail extension. It’ll now let me extend the bipod more towards the muzzle, and I can mount my knee riser in case I shoot this gun in a field target match. Man o man does this gun look cool. REALLY wish I could share some pics of the whole thing…..soon enough I’ll be able too. You’ll just have to take my word on it for now.

Conclusions

I’m thinking that the regulator pressure needs to come down for the 10grain and under projectiles.

I also had another reinforcing experience suggesting that the barrel doesn’t like to go fast, at least with the 10.34s.

When an airgun company uses the same parts for various calibers it’s a double-edged sword. I think this gun is currently too hot for 10 and under grain pellets. But they did it the right way, by going with an externally adjustable regulator and using an appropriate-to-caliber sized transfer port. Some companies will use the same tp size for various calibers and that just makes tuning tough for the .177s. So, the gun acts like it’s capable of moving some air and if I end up with a larger caliber barrel, I’ll be glad that it can. For now though, trying to force too much air through that 0.140 sized tp seems to have been causing some less than stellar accuracy issues.

Finally, I’m counting something like 115 shots taken this morning, from one fill. Pretty good for just a little 300cc bottle. Guessing fpe was between 17-20fpe for all that. If it’ll still put out 20fpe with a lower reg pressure but perhaps more hammer tension, I think we’ll find that shot count increases further.
Try some JSB Monst. Red. .177 13.43gr. They love the 810-830 FPS.