• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

BRK Ghost (Harley) takes 1st in Hunter PCP at Sonoran Desert Grand Prix

(As written by Tony, Pesty 3782) So this weekend was the Sonoran Desert Grand Prix Field Target competition at Rio Salado. It was a fun two days of shooting, and the Boss Lady, with her red đź‘» knocked it out of the park!!!!! Barbara hit 90% of the targets over the 2 day competition hitting 44 the first day and 46 the second day. She took home the Gold in Hunter Field Target with her carbine length 177 barrel. She was also able to take Match High Score.

She had an Athlon Ares ETR 15-60X56 and she was shooting the Rangemaster 13.42 pellets.

Screenshot 2024-03-06 at 8.06.03 AM.png

IMG_6935.jpg

Screenshot 2024-03-06 at 8.06.17 AM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
We've got a problem here. Barbara has gotten too good. The rest of us don't stand a chance. I propose a handicap system be implemented, specifically because of her.

This Grand Prix can be the basis for THE BARB (I'm coining that term for all future field target handicapping).

She starts with a 0, the rest of us start with a 2, 4 or maybe even a 6 (considering the 6 cuz it'd be thoroughly demoralizing if she beats us even with THE BARB in effect).

All kidding aside, GREAT shooting Barbara. You outscored some serious players in the sub20 fpe ft game.

CONGRATS!

It was a pleasure shooting with you Barb and the biggest congratulations on the win and well deserved for someone that shoots so well!!!! Thanks for the company on day2,, it was a lot of fun!
Thx
Dan
Thank you Dan! Not too shabby grabbing 3rd place yourself! Great shooting with you and look forward to our next pairing!

Reactions: Centercut
We've got a problem here. Barbara has gotten too good. The rest of us don't stand a chance. I propose a handicap system be implemented, specifically because of her.

This Grand Prix can be the basis for THE BARB (I'm coining that term for all future field target handicapping).

She starts with a 0, the rest of us start with a 2, 4 or maybe even a 6 (considering the 6 cuz it'd be thoroughly demoralizing if she beats us even with THE BARB in effect).

All kidding aside, GREAT shooting Barbara. You outscored some serious players in the sub20 fpe ft game.

CONGRATS!
I must say, Kent was right on my tail and had he not flubbed some "order of shots" on day one, we most likely would have been in a shoot off. WHEW! I appreciate all of the kind words!!

This little lady is going to continue to kick everyones backside in the foreseeable future and beyond. She is doing it to all of us at the monthly matches and every Tuesday TRAC match that she attends.

It is getting to the point that Tony shows up at the matches by himself, by quietly sneaking out of the house and leaving her at home! LOL! Well played, Pesty!

Question - what format is the Sonoran Classic? And what division did Barb shoot? Looks like Hunter class based on the stool and sticks.
Michael,
Barb did indeed shoot hunter
As to format, It is usually AAFTA rules and format however this year was based considerably on WFTF, being that Rio Salado is hosting the WFTF Worlds competition this very November. So pretty much AAFTA rules for those classed shooters and WFTF rules for those honing their skills for the Worlds Match coming up. there was 25 lanes with 2 targets per lane but only 1 shot per target which I believe are geared more for WFTF than AAFTA. You could ping Garrett if you were looking for more definition but that is as much as I can remember myself.
Thx
Dan

Last edited:
Reactions: 5Power
I thought 16 power scope was max. In hunter class Is she using set on 16, or higher power. Old eyes need help Out 45-55 yds. I never understood the restrictions on scopes in hunter class, hunting deer in Ct. and Maine most shots were 50 yds average very few 100 yd woods to thick open sights or 1x4 power scope was all you needed visited friend in Texas you used the biggest you could afford 300 yds was av. shot I think where you live and what distances your quarry is at determines your choices of equipment and as you get older you go from peep sights to red dots to scopes. Maybe 50 yrs old and under 16 x max. 51-60 yrs. old 20 x max 61-70 24 x max unlimited after that.

The short answer...

She's using 15x because it's the labeled on the magnification ring. If that ring, or the mag ring of any scope is labelled 16x then 16x can be used. Just not higher than 16x max. I think the rules for magnification in Hunter states that the next lowest magnification below 16x "which is labeled on the ring" is the max that can be used.

We don't have to agree on the rules but if you want to play by the rules to be compliant with a AAFTA match status then it is what it is.

Or if you want to just come and shoot for the fun of it, while not being officially recognized in a AAFTA division, then in this match and some other matches around the country, you can shoot in a Unlimited AAFTA unrecognized manner, and do whatever you want as long as your gun is 20 fpe or less.

My eyes fluctuate with blood sugar levels so using a scope to range doesn't work 100% for me anymore thus I retired to Freestyle/ Unlimited and use a LRF to find the distance to the target. I also use whatever magnification I prefer depending on what I perceive is the most beneficial to me at the moment. I miss shooting in AAFTA divisions in one way and don't in another but I get to have fun with my pellet gun is "the thing".

I shot in this Sonoran a few years ago and its one of the best I've been to.