• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

BRK Ghost Carbine 22 review from an average "Joe"

Jared was shooting an Evol next to me last night, nice rifle for sure. If you are looking for something with a lot of power for maybe the 56 grain zan pellets then the ghost will handle it.....I am not sure if the Evol 30 can. Either way you go you can't go wrong. I shoot the 44's right at 920 out of Specter and it shoots great.

Tony P.

• Love
Reactions: _CTAIRGUNNER_
Jared was shooting an Evol next to me last night, nice rifle for sure. If you are looking for something with a lot of power for maybe the 56 grain zan pellets then the ghost will handle it.....I am not sure if the Evol 30 can. Either way you go you can't go wrong. I shoot the 44's right at 920 out of Specter and it shoots great.

Tony P.
One thing I have come to realize through my research of the evols is that they just kind of work how they are set from new or very close to those tuned settings. They aren't the tuners rifle but thats ok. Definitely good advice here :) thanks!

Scott

Hope you like the ghost as much as I do. Specter (30 cal) did great a Textreme for the 2 day GP shoot. Specter will be going to RMAC with me in a few days.

Barb and I were at Rio Salado last night and the wind was howling!!!! 1 shot needed 2 mils of hold then next shot 4 mils of hold. It was brutal to say the least.

Tony P.
My 30-cal barrel should be in within a couple of weeks. Would you be willing to share the settings and pellets to get me started?

Well EBR is coming up and Specter will be there for EFT and the 100 yard competition. (If I do good on the 2 75 yard cards to make the finals).

Specter has proven its self at Textreme, a few local 100 & 75 yard competitions and silhouette….. And of course it has been out Pdog hunting.

Buster has been my hunting partner for almost 10 months now and usually the first gun I pull out to shoot…I have lost count on how many pests this little rifle has taken out. I like Buster so much that my beloved Headbanger (Crown 380mm 22) was traded off because I never used it anymore.

I guess you can say I like the 👻 platform…..

Tony P

A lot of threads have been written about the BRK Ghost, but I will put my spin on it as an average "Joe". I wanted a rifle that was a 22 cal and short in overall length. I wanted it to have a good shot count and one I could take hunting with me. The Ghost Carbine fit the bill. I had my name on the list and was excited when the call came in that it had arrived.

When I got it home I pulled an Aztec scope I had on another rifle and put it on for now. (Looking for smaller scope options moving forward)

View attachment 316008

Cleaned the barrel with Ballistol and a pull through 6-8 times then started to experiment with different tunes. Settled in with reg pressure at 120 and hammer wheel on 18. 11 shots over the chrono 872 high, 868 low, average 870....spread 4 and STD Dev 1.5.....

Here are a few 40 yard targets with those settings....Not very good at all...I changed speeds, pellets,(Both 18 and 16's) reg pressure, but couldn't get it to print to my liking. It would always throw a few shots.

View attachment 316012

View attachment 316013
🤬
Back home I go to pull the barrel and do a thorough cleaning this time. Here is what I found...Nasty gunk!!!!! Used Gunzilla and JB Bore Paste. It took about 45 minutes to finally get the white patch in the picture.
View attachment 316015
I waited a day and headed out to shoot at 40 yards again....

Three shots at 40 yards!!!! I had to take a photo, because normally I shoot 5 shot groups and didn't want to jack this one up as it looked impressive.

View attachment 316016
Now the pressure was on to see if I could continue this group with 2 more shots....Yeah I was ready to shank one off like I always do
View attachment 316017
😳

Damn, I better go buy a lottery ticket or something.....With the entire family starting to arrive tomorrow it will be awhile until I get Buster (Yeah I named the Ghost, Buster) out to do some hunting.

Now a big thanks goes out to @Franklink, @Centercut, @zx10wall, and @Arzrover for their help and guidance...

Tony P.
Awesome that you got it sorted out, nothing worse than a new gun that shoots funky, right up there with the car not starting in the morning! Great shooting! "buster" is a brilliant name, and a true statement to what it does to the bullseye. Reason #1 to clean that new barrel. So, to take the barrel cleaning a step further, how often do you plan to clean the barrel?

Reactions: Dairyboy
Well Buster was a little lonely being the only ghost in the house so I ended up picking up a 30 cal Ghost and brought it home. So Buster is no longer lonely and has a big brother Specter....

Specter came shooting pretty hot at 960 FPS with the 44's so I slowed him down a bit to 900. I have about 50 rounds through Specter so far and plan to try him at EFT on Saturday.

Targets are at 50 yards...

Need more time behind the trigger, but weather has not corporated...

Tony P.

View attachment 341777View attachment 341778View attachment 341779View attachment 341780View attachment 341781
The ghost must be a good shooter for you to buy another one! thanks for the post, it helps us that are wanting information on new air guns. Brocock seems to be a solid but overlooked contender. I'm looking at the Brocock Sahara in .22 and the Kaliber cricket mini carbine also in .22 for my next purchase. Thay aren't the new kids on the block, but I would be happy to own.

Todd

After every hunt no matter how many shots I shoot I wiped the rifle down and run a brush less bore snake through the barrel will a shot of Balistol on it. Then pull the snake through 3-4 more times dry.

I figure between dust and my sweaty hands better safe than sorry.

Usually before a “Big” competition EBR, RMAC etc, I will pull the barrel and do a really good cleaning job and replace the breach O ring…

Tony P

Reactions: Dairyboy
Buster has a second personality a 177 HP barrel...... Just cleaned the barrel

IMG_8783.JPG

I learned from the 22 carbine barrel Buster came with. 😂😂😂😂😂😂

Hope to get it up and running with slugs for pesting. I've been in contact with @SorenDrost and picking his brain where a good place to start is.

More later after I get time to play....

Tony P.

Ok so I shot the 13 grain Zans at 920 FPS and they did OK……but this evening I went out to Rio Salado and put them up against the JSB KO’s at 900 FPS at 50 yards and the KO’s did great …Anybody who has shot at Rio knows the wind is never coming from the same direction and tonight was even worse

Down the line you heard “ what the F”. Pellets were going up, down, left, right, and even if you were watching the flags they changed right when you pulled the trigger…..super fun shooting 100 yards for sure.

After shooting Specter my 30 cal ghost I pulled out Buster‘s second personality and shot 10 shot groups at 50 yards between the 13 grain Zans and the JSB KO’s 13.43….here is my 10 shot group with the KO’s….beat the Zans by half easy….I would need more time shooting different speeds for both, but the KO’s look pretty good right at 900 FPS. Hope to get out in the AM when there is no wind and see what Buster can do.

Tony P

IMG_8820.jpeg
IMG_8821.jpeg
IMG_8822.png

Ok so I shot the 13 grain Zans at 920 FPS and they did OK……but this evening I went out to Rio Salado and put them up against the JSB KO’s at 900 FPS at 50 yards and the KO’s did great …Anybody who has shot at Rio knows the wind is never coming from the same direction and tonight was even worse

Down the line you heard “ what the F”. Pellets were going up, down, left, right, and even if you were watching the flags they changed right when you pulled the trigger…..super fun shooting 100 yards for sure.

After shooting Specter my 30 cal ghost I pulled out Buster‘s second personality and shot 10 shot groups at 50 yards between the 13 grain Zans and the JSB KO’s 13.43….here is my 10 shot group with the KO’s….beat the Zans by half easy….I would need more time shooting different speeds for both, but the KO’s look pretty good right at 900 FPS. Hope to get out in the AM when there is no wind and see what Buster can do.

Tony P

View attachment 390660View attachment 390661View attachment 390662
10 at 50yds? Man you are making me want a ghost more and more!

• Haha
Reactions: MysticalDragon
Thanks Luis….Hope to get out early morning when there is no wind…changed scopes on it for more magnification so we shall see what I can do…..gave it a good barrel cleaning after 100+ slugs through it and it was dirty with small flakes on the first patch. Put 30 or so slugs through it after cleaning and the groups were getting better…

Tony P

So was able to get out with mild wind this morning and after ditching the squeeze bag, I used my leather rear rest and the groups started to get smaller.. (I had used the leather bag at Rio, but was lazy this morning and didn’t pull it out)

Of course the wife asks if she can shoot it and proceeded to have 5 shots at 50 yards well under a dime….Mine were under a dime, but not like hers 🤬🤬🤬🤬

Ok guys I’m ready for the 💩. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Tony P

So like a true tweaker I couldn't leave well enough alone and I jacked up the tune on the 177 👻 🤬

My father had a saying when I was growing up "Dumba 💩" For some reason he was always looking my direction when he said it 🤔

So yesterday I grabbed a new tin of slugs and started from scratch and worked up a pretty darn good tune for Buster.

IMG_8839.JPG

IMG_8838.JPG

5 shots at 50 yards with just a slight breeze right to left.....

Now if I can just leave it alone 😎

Tony P.