• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

BRK Ghost Carbine 22 review from an average "Joe"

A lot of threads have been written about the BRK Ghost, but I will put my spin on it as an average "Joe". I wanted a rifle that was a 22 cal and short in overall length. I wanted it to have a good shot count and one I could take hunting with me. The Ghost Carbine fit the bill. I had my name on the list and was excited when the call came in that it had arrived.

When I got it home I pulled an Aztec scope I had on another rifle and put it on for now. (Looking for smaller scope options moving forward)

IMG_7127.JPG

Cleaned the barrel with Ballistol and a pull through 6-8 times then started to experiment with different tunes. Settled in with reg pressure at 120 and hammer wheel on 18. 11 shots over the chrono 872 high, 868 low, average 870....spread 4 and STD Dev 1.5.....

Here are a few 40 yard targets with those settings....Not very good at all...I changed speeds, pellets,(Both 18 and 16's) reg pressure, but couldn't get it to print to my liking. It would always throw a few shots.

IMG_7134.JPG

IMG_7135.JPG

🤬
Back home I go to pull the barrel and do a thorough cleaning this time. Here is what I found...Nasty gunk!!!!! Used Gunzilla and JB Bore Paste. It took about 45 minutes to finally get the white patch in the picture.
IMG_7141.JPG

I waited a day and headed out to shoot at 40 yards again....

Three shots at 40 yards!!!! I had to take a photo, because normally I shoot 5 shot groups and didn't want to jack this one up as it looked impressive.

IMG_7149.JPG

Now the pressure was on to see if I could continue this group with 2 more shots....Yeah I was ready to shank one off like I always do
IMG_7150.JPG

😳

Damn, I better go buy a lottery ticket or something.....With the entire family starting to arrive tomorrow it will be awhile until I get Buster (Yeah I named the Ghost, Buster) out to do some hunting.

Now a big thanks goes out to @Franklink, @Centercut, @zx10wall, and @Arzrover for their help and guidance...

Tony P.

Last edited:
I believe that is the bore preservative that BRK, and quite possibly most manufacturers, applied to protect the bore from corrosion when it shipped, as the gun had to travel via ship--thus, the salty air--to the dealer. You'd be surprised how quickly steel rusts in salty air. Unprotected steel can start rusting even in a day in such type of air. That brown gunk is also what was on mine. I had to scrub it all out with a bronze brush and Breakfree CLP and JB Bore paste.

Reactions: Stone02
When I got the rifle it had an average trigger pull out of the box at 1 lbs 10 oz using a lyman trigger gauge. This was the average after 8 presses of the trigger. A quick PM to zx10wall (Derrick) I was able to get the trigger pull down to 1 lbs 3 oz. Anything lighter the sear would not engage So 1 lbs 3 oz it is for now. I have a nice first stage and then it hits the wall to the second stage. Just a little more pressure and it breaks....Not bad for a hunting rifle...

Tony P.

When I got the rifle it had an average trigger pull out of the box at 1 lbs 10 oz using a lyman trigger gauge. This was the average after 8 presses of the trigger. A quick PM to zx10wall (Derrick) I was able to get the trigger pull down to 1 lbs 3 oz. Anything lighter the sear would not engage So 1 lbs 3 oz it is for now. I have a nice first stage and then it hits the wall to the second stage. Just a little more pressure and it breaks....Not bad for a hunting rifle...

Tony P.
It can go much lower than that, sir. I wanted to see how low mine could go and I got it to what felt like single-digit ounces. Keep in mind that adjusting one screw inversely affects the other in terms of pull weight and/or trigger break. You just have to play around with the screws a bit to get it to your preference. But I assure you the trigger pull weight can be adjusted to break like glass in low ounce numbers.

Spinj please shoot me a PM if you have a “technique “ on how you got the trigger weight down.

Mike, thanks for the reply, can’t wait to sit at a bench and really learn this rifle…..Merry Christmas

Haven’t decided what scope will be on the rifle. I just got the Vector Veyron 4-16X44 FFP in the mail today to try and a Sightron S-TAC FFP 3-16X42 should be here in a few days. Both scopes are smaller and lighter than the Aztec I “borrowed” off of another rifle.

Tony P

Trigger pull is now 10 ounces thanks to @zx10wall and the link he sent me for a first stage trigger spring. I received the Vector and the Sightron STAC scopes and decided to go with the Sightron, but one issue 🤬🤬🤬🤬 The Sightron's IR didn't work. Changing batteries, flipping the battery the other way and even going into a dark room and nothing. I even read the directions 😳

Sightron is exchanging the scope for me, but with the holidays it will be awhile. So the Aztec is still on Buster and I hope to get out to the dairy in a few days and see how Buster does.

My youngest son is visiting who is a great shot so I will give him my 380mm crown 22 (Headbanger). We haven't been hunting in a long time. The last time he went with @Centercut and @Gerry52, he was hitting squirrels from the standing position at 70 yards and not missing.....We were all looking at him with our mouths open and when he turned around he said "When you were young you could do this right" PUNK....😎😎😎😎😎

Tony P.

Last edited: