• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

British Field Target Association (Your cousins & their kit across the pond)

JG66

Oct 10, 2016
London
SUPER HIGH RESOLUTION PHOTOS...

credit: https://www.thebfta.net/gallery/bfta-grand-prix-1-2017-by-pop/

credit: https://www.thebfta.net/gallery/bfta-grand-prix-1-2017-by-rob/

a99f73b4c985af53681e7e90907af129.jpg

10789876ccf3f5d2da299f7635e8e179.jpg

ef90ef6e1e92aaf4b6b42c2a046f0136.jpg

e68d2702ca497d612e1059b4dc51656e.jpg

494236e50374d9d112337ac0fd13757a.jpg

8ee1020a0044d499a707097f28a2c302.jpg

"Skip-in-WV"Wow. Some of the scopes are mounted extremely high. I wonder how it effects holdover or clicking? When I tried a very high mount my clicking went from one turn to two and a half turns. It was very confusing. When I tried using holdover I couldn't get enough if I used the horizontal reticle.

Skip-in-WV, look at section 6.4 below...

"It's a common myth that the higher the mounts are, the more the canting error is, but this is not true. The shots from a canted rifle will impact along an arch, and the displacement of the pellet impacts depends only on the angle of the canting and the pellet drop at that distance (see Fig. 1 in chapter 6.1.). A detailed article about this question can be read here:
http://www.szottesfold.co.uk/2012/03/high-scope-and-canting-end-of-ancient.html with test results and theoretical proofs. There are some exceptions with a certain aiming method (see link above) but this is not used in FT shooting.

The height of the scope has nothing to do with this. Why? It's proven by tests and can be proved theoretically, too - but now simply imagine a rifle with more scopes mounted on it, one above the other. Each scope is zeroed at the given distance, each sight line looks at the same point, where the gun will shoot. If you cant the gun with an angle, you might aim through any of the scopes, lower or higher, they look to the same point, the gun underneath will be in the same position too, so the canting error will be the same. The canted shots move along a circle and the amount of displacement depends only on the pellet drop (d) and on the angle of canting (a). It doesn't matter how high your scope is, you always have to pay the same attention to avoid canting the rifle.​"

credit: http://www.fekete-moro.hu/bfta-setup-manual/index-en.php

1. Introduction

2. Rifle Preparation

3. Scope Mounting
3.1. Mount Height and Cheek Piece fit
3.2. Centering the Adjustment Turrets
3.3. Installing Mounts
3.4. Focusing the Eyepiece and Crosshairs
3.5. Setting Optical Centre at Optimum Range
3.5.1 Measuring a Sloped Scope Rail
3.5.2 Lateral Misalignments of the Scope
3.6. Plumbing the Crosshairs
3.7. Final Windage Adjustment

4. Establishing the Trajectory
4.1. Choosing Zero Distance
4.2. Systems for Marking P/A Assembly and Elevation
4.3. Zenith of the Trajectory and Use of a Bottoming Turret
4.4. Completing the Remainder of the Trajectory
4.5. POI-Shift

5. Rangefinding by Parallax Correction
5.1. What is Parallax?
5.2. Types of Parallax Adjustment
5.3. Calibrating the P/A for Rangefinding
5.4. Parallax Shift

6. Ballistics Explained
6.1. Why .177?
6.2. Observed Trajectory with Scope Fitted
6.3. Minute-of-Angle (MOA)
6.4. Increasing the scope height

7. Trajectory Compensation by Holdover
7.1. What is Holdover?
7.2. Multi-Aimpoint Reticules
7.3. Zeroing when using Holdover

Also: http://www.szottesfold.co.uk/2012/03/high-scope-and-canting-end-of-ancient.html

PART IV. – CONCLUSIONS

1. In general, especially in FT shooting, where we do the required correction of LOS within our scope (i.e. adjusting turrets or holding over with certain mildots), the canting error is totally independent from the scope height, higher scopes are NOT more sensitive to canting angle than low ones.

2. If we do the correction outside the scope (i.e. we have zeroed the rifle at a given distance and then shoot at another target with a holdover which is measured at the target), the canting error can be different – more or less – with the higher scopes. It will be more if the new range is greater than the zero range and less if it's shorter.

Considering that we are allowed to use bubble levels on our rifles so canting is not a real aspect for us, I say that we can rise the scope as high as we want to, it will mean no disadvantages with canting. The more important point is that even those who have lower scopes have to pay the same attention to levelling the rifle because their canting error is the same as the others' with high scopes. 

Although canting is indifferent for us, the higher scopes have other advantages and disadvantages, too:
PROS
– flatter trajectory at greater ranges allows more misranging
– more comfortable upright head position
– more space for loading the rifle
CONS
– may run out of click on the very close ranges
– greater danger of shooting in the ground on inappropriately built courses
We have to consider all these aspects before deciding the mount height, but canting is not among them – I hope this ancient myth is over now.