• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Brine...what's your formula?

ajshoots mentioned in another post that he likes to brine rabbit, then freeze it for storage, so I decided to try it with my first squirrel of the season. I didn't have any recipe or formula for the brine, and just kinda winged-in, based on some info I got from my neighbor. I used a lot of vinegar (white), with salt, sugar, and water; dumped the squirrel bits in with it, and let it sit overnight. The next day I removed the squirrel bits and washed them (noting a rather worrisome color change in the meat and residual blood), and put them in a baggie with Italian dressing. Then I let them sit in that all week in the fridge. After all this, I finally had time to cook the little buggers up yesterday (the wife does not really approve, so this must ideally all be done when she's not around, hence the delay). Anyway: DELICIOUS! I've done the "week long dressing soak" before, but they still have that "wild" or "gamey" taste. I have to credit the brine for the complete and total removal of the gaminess. So, on to the point: you guys that also brine your meat, would you care to share your recipe for brine? 

I don't use vinegar much unless I am preparing the meat to cook and not freeze and even then, vinegar is not my go to. I do think vinegar is best if you want to totally remove the gamey flavor. I normally just use salt and water. I don't measure, just put in what looks like enough salt. I do tend to put a few splashes of lemon juice or lime. Even without vinegar, the meat still turns an almost whitish color. I have been doing this for almost 28 years, so the change in color I have gotten used to and never even think about. Many tend to flip out about thawed meat being kept in the fridge more than a couple days. We have hung meat outside for as long as a week before processing it and it then spent a few days in the fridge as we processed. It is called aging and it makes for very tender cuts. Why do you think filet mignon is so tender??

Glad it worked out for you Mentolio!! Key to getting people to like wild game is how you prepare it!!

In brining meat you use equal parts sugar and salt dissolved in water and soak the meat for a few hours to over night. Most use at least 1/2 to 1 cup each per gallon of water. Long term soaking in a seasoning solution, such as Italian salad dressing, is marinating. You brine something to introduce moisture. Marinating seasons and tenderizes the meat. I guess you could add seasonings to your brine to season the meat. Long term marinating in an acidic solution can make meat mushy. A tough as squirrels are you can get away with over a day but try that with beef or chicken and its mush city.

hasenpfeffer If you like regular pickles look up fermented pickles. I use a little kimchee as a starter, kinda like sour dough in bread making. I just started fermenting pickles this spring and they are great. Do not leave them out at room temp more than 5 days or they get too tart. Also do not use water that has been chlorine in it as they will not ferment.

It's good to include some acid ( lemon juice or vinegar ) in your soak because city water is usually alkali to reduce corrosion in the pipes. A teaspoon per cup of water is enough to get you a neutral PH. As for salt all you need is enough to create osmotic pressure. A tablespoon a qt. Is enough for this. More salt can be used if one wants a more salty taste.
Rob.