• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Breech o-ring killers ???

I was testing some 28gn Eun Jin pellets and some 32.4gn Seneca Hunting pellets in my .22 cal RedWolf the other day. They both shot well but both were very tight when seating the pellet even though I ran them thru my pellet resizer / checker. As you can see in the attached picture, the sides of these pellets have a lot of edges. I've been shooting the 25.39gn JSB Exact Jumbo Monsters which seat very smoothly.

Do you guys think these would be very hard on breech o-rings?

1716438516979.png

A breech O-ring generally wears out over time due to abrasion. So for example, the Eun Jin / Seneca pellets on the right produce four (4) points of contact rather than two (2) for a conventional diabolo pellet. So unless they are also an abnormally larger diameter, they could be expected to wear out a breech O-ring in approximately half the time.

From my experience with them, the perceived hard chambering is a combination of the two additional bands passing through the O-ring plus the extra contact area being pressed into the bore. By that I mean part of the uneasy feeling has nothing to do with more wear to the O-ring but just a byproduct of swaging the 3 forward driving bands into the rifling.

I've only shot them on occasion but I've never had a breech O-ring promptly give out during their use or shortly thereafter. For the most part, breech O-rings last long enough that I don't let it influence whether or not I use a particular pellet. If it's an accurate pellet in the gun, I use it.

@scottg0814 What @nervoustrig posted makes sense. These orings are going to wear out regardless and I’ve shot guns with messed up looking breech orings only loosing marginal velocity. I don’t tend to shoot long distances so I can’t see much of a negative effect just shooting paper within 50-65 yards. I’m mainly hunting with my airguns. If I saw a big difference I’d change the oring before hunting. If it’s a serious concern, consider inspect the oring occasionally and if it looks bad, change it. When you purchase o-rings you sometimes have to buy about 10-25 minimum (depending upon the vendor). If you’ve got 25 breech orings, that should be enough to last you some years.

Last edited:
Reactions: scottg0814
@nervoustrig, thanks for that detail. The main reason for my post was to hear if anyone thought these types of pellets were especially abusive to the gun. The main reason I was shooting these was simply because I only have 3 small tins and figured I would just shoot them up and be done with them... free up some space on the very cluttered pellet shelf lol As I was shooting them and experiencing the very tight fit, the question of their toughness on the gun came to mind. I mean, I know breech seals will wear but my thinking was along the lines of; regular diabolo pellets may go thousands of rounds before wearing out a breech seal but if you shoot these particular pellets be prepared to only get hundreds of rounds or something crazy like that.

I was chronographing some strings, about 60 shots total with the new .22 JSB Grands in my Redwolf. I noticed right off they all took more oomph to seat than the JSB MRDs that I usually shoot, but several in this string seemed to take much more oomph, like they were severely oversized. Later I went out to the range to see how the Grands grouped but after about 5 shots the breech seal blew.

I suspect these Grands caused the seal to blow prematurely but no way to tell for sure as this was the first time I replaced the seal plus it was purchased used. I am glad it didn’t occur at a long range FT match. I plan to continue to evaluate the Grands, but they will need to have better accuracy AND provide reasonable breech seal life for me to use them in matches.

I was chronographing some strings, about 60 shots total with the new .22 JSB Grands in my Redwolf. I noticed right off they all took more oomph to seat than the JSB MRDs that I usually shoot, but several in this string seemed to take much more oomph, like they were severely oversized. Later I went out to the range to see how the Grands grouped but after about 5 shots the breech seal blew.
Interesting!! My RedWolf is also used. I bought it back in October. Previous owner said it's basically brand new, only a couple tins thru it. REALLY, enjoy shooting this gun!! I haven't bothered to do any research as to what the breech oring is or if replacing it is straight forward. Let me know your experience with your breech seal.

I tried that Korean pellet. I felt like I was torturing my gun every time I pushed the pellet in. I don't know if that would ruin the o-ring with consistent use, but, as I said, I pitied my gun. And there are so many good pellets and slugs that don't have to be force-fed into the barrel. However, I'm sure that they designed the pellet as such for a purpose, and maybe for certain guns.

I just finished resizing a batch of JSB 34 gn MK1's, these have a much tougher skirt vs MK2's in my STX-A liner. Actually I am resizing both to same size, testing/comparing @ 100 M, and even with same sizer the groups are showing different.
Abrasion on breach oring is definitely there I feel it when loading, I will replace the oring next time the barrel is removed from Impact MK2 for cleaning...