Tuning Breaking the Sound Barrier

Well, having actually been there in person to watch the shooting take place I can tell you that gun was stacking ragged holes using .30 cal Hades, Hybrid Slugs, and 61.5 grain NSA slugs all on the same day at a distance of 30 yards. So yeah, I'd call that usable power.

If there is one thing I've learned with airguns it is that your set up is your set up, and how a specific component performs is contingent on the rest of the system it is a part of.

Have fun with you AEA.

Bolio: I haven't really shot for groups yet but at 30 yards everything pretty much goes in the same hole... but I will get out to 50-60 yards real soon and let you know how I do. I imagine I will have to turn her power down some for the pellets to be accurate, but the 61.5gr NSA slugs may be good at 1123-1124 ft/s...time will tell. Yesterday I ordered 4 boxes of the NSA 65.5gr slugs in .30 caliber and I'm guessing they will shoot at around 940-950 ft/s and should be accurate but we'll see.

When I put my friend's .35 cal. barrel on Helga she was shooting the NSA 93gr slugs at 970 ft/s which is 194 ft. lbs. energy! And they were going into one small hole! So just for fun I bought a used .30 MKII yesterday and its being shipped to me now and I should have it by Monday or Tuesday...I am going to build it out and tune it up the same way I did my own rifle Helga, but I think with just another little tweak here and there I can get the new build up to 200 ft. lbs. in .35 cal. & maybe 150 ft. lbs. in .30 cal. with the NSA 65.5 grainers. Each rifle takes a tune differently and this is more of an art than a science...and then there is always the added benefit of just getting Lucky sometimes! :)

10mikemike: Mike, I had a great time meeting you and spending the day shooting with you a couple days ago! I'm a little hesitant to meet new people or make new friends these days, but I like you just fine and feel like I made a new friend. Thanks for being my videographer! 

All the best, Chuck

By the way Bolio, you may also be interested to know that here pretty soon I'm going to put a .22 700mm Superior barrel on Helga and see what she will do with it. I have some.22 cal. Zan 28gr & 30.5gr slugs now, and yesterday I ordered a few boxes of the Zan 40gr slugs to play with...so it should be a lot of fun experimenting with .22 caliber slugs with Helga tuned up to her present state. I think those babies are gonna be smokin'! :)

Best regards, Chuck

I just got an AEA HP maxx 35cal. I get 880fps on 82gn crap vortex pellets. Accurate when the skirts are not bent. You are swapping barrels? Where do you get other barrels? I'd like to get this AEA into the 200FPE range with a 24" barrel. I have a Texan 357 and it will do 300fpe, but it's just so long. I like shooting the AEA better. Plus the 8 round mag is hard to beat. 

One gripe about the AEA is the trigger. It sucks compared to any other air rifle I have. I'm going to end up doing some custom work,

fastfred68: Fred you can get barrels of different calibers for FX Impact air rifles in .177, .22, .25, .30, & .35 caliber from FX Airgun Dealers such as Palm Beach Airguns or Utah Airguns to name just a couple. You can put change from one caliber to another with an FX Impact in a couple minutes just by swapping out the barrel, pellet probe, and magazine. Of course then you may have to adjust the settings on your rifle and scope, but by simply creating a shot book with some notes on how much to change those settings for each of the different calibers you own its an easy peasy process for sure. 

Best regards, Chuck

Don´t get me wrong, but as well versed within aeronautics i fail to see the reason to break the barrier.
There´s absolutely nothing to be gained for a PCP in my book.

The reason is really very simple.........

There's no reason to see who can run the fastest, there's no reason to see how much somebody can deadlift, there's no reason to jump off a cliff attached to a rubberband, etc. 

People like to push the envelope just because it's fun. Me included. 

You three guys are all correct but dens28 has the inside track on me...Yes, there is no good reason to push a pellet or slug supersonic mainly because as it transitions from super to subsonic the drag transitions from the nose of the projectile to the base of the projectile. In that transonic zone pellets and even most slugs will become unstable and end up being very inaccurate at anything but short distances. I routinely shoot my .30 cal. Hades Pellets & Hybrid Slugs at 1115 ft/s and they are actually super accurate at that speed, but just for fun I turn my power wheel up to #16 and shoot a couple pellets or hybrids at 1150 ft/s just for poops & giggles cause I think its FUN to do that. :) At that power level Helga shoots the NSA 61.5 grainers at about 1022 ft/s and so I normally shoot the Hades or Hybrids on #8 on my power wheel.

See, I am a power head at heart and love to push the envelope to see how far I can go and many times I push things to failure and then back off from there a little bit. For example around Christmas I put a friends .35 cal. barrel on my rifle and Helga was shooting the 81gr pellets at about 1034 ft/s and the NSA 93gr slugs at 970 ft/s...So just for laughs I am going to put a .22 barrel on my rifle and shoot some to the 40 grain Zan Slugs out of a 700mm liner with a 1:16" twist to see what happens! As a matter of fact I just got my new 700mm 1:16 twist barrel liner a couple days ago but the weather here in South Florida has been too terrible to go shooting. Anyway, this should be A LOT OF FUN! Some of you guys have got to stop being so serious about all this and focus on having FUN! :)

Best regards, Chuck

You don't get it chuck.. fun is bad - there are the air gun laws that forbids Goin supersonic..is against the rules to push the limits... yup man they are really tight minded people sometimes sunds like church... 🤣🤣🤣🤣..awesome tune have fun..is the only point of this hobby. If I had the art to work on those guns I would have one for sure..bu I don't have patience to deal with small parts or talent..👍👍really enjoy the tuning post..