• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Breaking into PCPs

Hi all,

So I've been a Springer shooter for a while and I want to dip my toe into the PCP world. I have a few things I'm looking for and I just wanted to hear some opinions as there are so many guns out there!

I'm looking primarily at entry level guns for the sake of price. I would like to be able to fill it with a hand pump and hopefully it would be backyard friendly. Now here's the kicker, I would prefer a .25 caliber for hunting purposes. I'm not set on a .25 over a .22, but if I can all things considered in a .25, I'd just assume have the increased impact. 

So what say you? Is the Marauder the only hope? What about these new Krals? Any help would be deeply appreciated and thanks y'all.

You have quite a few options other than a marauder, hatsan has a few, kral has a couple. 

The marauder in .25 cal is backyard friendly with sound but not with energy delivered unless you shoot into a proper backstop (I prefer boxes/mounds of rubber mulch as its self healing) cause it only takes 4-6 FPE of energy to crack skulls / tear organs of small critters, theres still a remaining 20-30+ FPE, which also applies to .22 cals and some .177's. 

For backyard purposes I'd keep it @ 12-15 fpe which can certainly reach out to 30-50 yards.

On that note I can tune my marauder .25 to shoot anywhere from 9FPE to 50 FPE, but that requires tuning + resighting of the scope so I don't do it often. I plan on getting a 12-15 FPE setup for my backyard as its much more practical and wont require as much precaution with remaining energy from projectiles.

What are you going to be hunting jmod? And at what distance? 

Reason for asking, I thought I needed a 25 myself so picked up a cricket. Lots of power and laser accurate. BUT.... for 90% of my hunting needs it was just too much power. (If there is such a thing). And you have to be a bit more mindful of what's beyond your intended target with 50fpe. On the norm...they eat more air and get less shots per fill. And if your a hand pumper like me....that's something to take into consideration also. Just some points to consider. You are not going to believe how easy it is to shoot a PCP accurately. Enjoy your journey and may the force be with you.

The Benjamin Maximus is under 200, fills to 2000 psi and is a very honest entry level PCP. Single shot, and stock takes about 1.5 pumps from the Benji Pump, per shot. .22 is the highest caliber for that gun.

You can get a "Euro" version that limits under 12 FPE = more shots per fill.

In general the .25 carries more energy down range and a lot more cross section for energy transfer, yet more of an arc to the trajectory. The .177 tends to be very fast and flat shooting, but not as good at transferring energy to the intended target. The .22 is the mid point between the .177 and .25 - best of them both.

That being said, I am looking forward to the new Gauntlet, due in a few months. Available in .25 - high shot count and higher energy than my Maximus and P-rod.

Backyard friendly + easy to fill with a hand pump + also good for (small game) hunting = Marauder.

Maximus & Discovery aren't backyard-friendly unless you add a moderator or you live out in the country.

I think .25 cal at a decent velocity (over 800 fps) is just a TON of energy for the back yard, unless you're out in the country. Even .22 at the typical 25-30 FPE is too much, most of the time. So get the .22, think about your backstop and consider it a bit of overkill even then.

There's no need to feel sad that a .22 Marauder is your best bet. It's a great gun, and popular with good reason.

Air access is a major factor+ intended use+ the environment its going to work in =ftlbs. My neighbors have seen my p-rod-are amazed it kills squirrels,And if they see me in the yard with my 22 bobcat all bets are off on the outcome ,If you have some room get a .25 pump till your blue and buy a tank.But chairgun says my.25 shooting 34grs, go 844 yrds@ a 29degree angle (.squirrel angle ) 618 in 22@ 30ftlbs

Hey all,
This has been really helpful and I extremely grateful. I have been exploring .22 calibers a bit more in lieu of your advice. The biggest game I am considering would be like a fox squirrel or a potential nuisance racoon. What are your thoughts on staying in a .22 there and getting humane kills?

The M-Rod has always been an option to me but I've noticed with a large amount of budget minded guns coming out (Kral, Umarex Gauntlet) the options are growing. So any other thoughts you all have are extremely welcomed, and once again, thank you!

I have a friend "Strikefast" who has a Kral Puncher. Great little pup for the money. A little under powered for .25 but might be just what you need?
His came shooting around 31 FPE and I believe he's got 35 FPE out of it now. I think he's happy with that for the shot count he's getting?
I shot it and was pleasantly surprised at it's accuracy and shot count.

http://www.airgunnation.com/topic/my-new-kral-breaker-silent-bull-pup-honest-review-2/

Hand pumping and .25 caliber really don't go together. I'd recommend deciding which you want, power or a hand pump. More power = more air requirements.

Having said that, if you want to hunt, get the .25 and find a paintball shop or scuba shop for refills. Tanks are $300-ish where a hand pump is $200-ish.

If you need the hand pump, the 2000 psi fill is definitely the way to go. or a very small air tank, like in the FX Indy. (no, that's not an entry level, just an example.)

I have a Marauder and the last 400PSI or so are a real bear, requiring lots of down force and deep knee bends. the air tank is soooooooooooo much faster and makes shooting so much more fun. Besides, and this is a personal thing, when I'm at the range, I don't want to waste time pumping.

Once you decide pump or power, then you can decide on the gun (IMHO). Ted likes the .25 (I haven't shot one yet) and others sing the praises of the .25, so depending on what you are hunting, it might be the way to go. If that's the case, I recommend an air tank.