• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Breaking in compressor

Lobi

Feb 11, 2023
Michigan
So my YH arrived today. I kind of expected it to come with oil but no.
From reading her at AN I'm leaning towards the Seco500.
Manual of course does not mention break in and says 50 hours for first oil change. Sounds like many change their oil the first time at an hour or less run time. What to use for break in oil?
I think I read @12oz for fill (?)

20230310_130411.jpg

I used seco for break in too although I changed it at around the 2 hour mark.
It wasn’t discolored until that point.

Why would you introduce 2 different oils? Seco is breathing air specific. Not that the yong heng makes breathing air but plenty of people find carbon deposits on the piston during a rebuild. Shouldn’t happen with Seco lube.

Order it from the place in florida, they’ll ship it fast and well packed.

Lobi,
Two years ago, when mine came, I followed advice of Biohazardman and used Husky Synthetic Blend Air Compressor oil for one hour break-in, then switched to Husky Full Synthetic Air Compressor Oil full time. Since then, Bio determined the higher flash point of SecoLube500 (520-degrees F) was more appropriate for HPA compressors than the 460-degree F flash point of Husky Full Synthetic. Recently purchased a quart of SecoLube500 for $37 from Filtertechs, @ 10 ounces per fill will handle three annual oil changes. Here's my set-up, everything is permanent except stool, 5-gallon bucket, hoses and water pump, they get broken down after each session. Toss water in washing machine on wash day, no children in household so no drowning danger. Twist tie hoses to bucket handle, return line tends to slip out. No filter for return line, make sure water pump adjustable rear screen is wide open. WM
IMG_20220322_203924.jpg

Reactions: Lobi
I always fill oil to top of red dot in indicator. Did my first oil change when oil (Royal Purple) got too dark to read gauge, about an hour. I'm using Husky full synthetic, non detergent oil now & it works great but will go to Seco on the next oil change. Treat your YH gently & patiently. Read Biohazardman's YH "bible" & follow the suggestions & it should do you right.

Reactions: Lobi
Some, including race car engine builders, use a different break in oil to seat rings etc. I don't know anything about the piston, cylinder wall, or piston rings in these compressors. Maybe it's not needed.
Sure, I get this but the oils are the same makeup being you don’t have compatibility issues between oils.

Does Seco lube mix with husky oil? Are they made from the same base material? I Don’t know and honestly I don’t need to know. I made it simple and used seco from the start.

When switching oils, especially oils of different makeup, I would think a thorough flushing of the system would be useful. Don’t want them mixing together and turning to sludge like dex cool and standard green antifreeze do.

Most likely you’ll be just fine no matter what you use. Obviously it’s worked for others.

Reactions: Cousin Vinny