• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Break Barrels are NOT accurate!

Gamo 'Whisper Fusion Pro' in 22 Cal.w/ 4x12x40 scope ,5 shots...15 yards.
002.1609694451.JPG

Gamo 'Whisper Fusion Pro' in 22 Cal.w/ 4x12x40 scope ,5 shots...15 yards.
002.1609694451.JPG

If that were me shooting, the following would have happened...

Thinking to self, "wow. 4 pellets in one hole. I should probably stop there. No.....gotta get the 5 shot group....here goes....." resultant 5th shot gets pulled 2 inches...."Crap. Shouldda stopped at 4 and called it a 5 shot group!"

Glen,actually that isn't a 1 hole group.But the 5 pellets are touching each other,as seen in the "star" pattern of the hole :)

Man. I'd call that a one hole group. All 5 pellets created one jagged hole...

As my old friend in my avatar picture (RIP) use to say.... "If you want to shoot as good as you possibly can you have got to block out everything.And put yourself in the tunnel"

>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Hathcock

being honest 15 yards is VERY close, double or triple the distance if you have the chance that's where things get interesting!

15 yards is all I have indoors but I have 2 tennis balls hanging from wires in the back yard at 55 yards.Same Rifle hits them 9 out of 10 shots.And strong enough to penetrate :) Second pix. is zoomed in so you can see the balls,between the 2 trees..
001.1609777542.JPG
003.1609777566.JPG

being honest 15 yards is VERY close, double or triple the distance if you have the chance that's where things get interesting!

I like paper targets to around 35 yards. Beyond that I usually do spinners, resettable knock downs, and hunting...

I'll take my springers out to 50 yards hunting, and that's been my self imposed limit for now. They have plenty of power to do more, but I need to be 99.999999% certain it'll be lights out when I pull the trigger and I don't trust myself past that.

I have found my HW 30,50,95,and 97 and my FWB 300s and mini to be very accurate at 20 to 35 yds. All have shot a clear “ three dimes target”. At longer distance my pcps clearly reign. From 35 to 75 yds they are almost boring. They need to go to the range to get stretched out. As a result the springers get a lot more attention. If you are a backyard shooter stick with the springers.

DualMagMike,

Great post! I am envious of your fine rifles although my .177 HW 95 and HW55 are in the ballpark now that I am learning what pellets they like. I will post some pics. I'm interested in learning more about your barrel weights for your 95 to 98 conversion and 95. Where did you order these? Are they entire 98 barrels or are they the rare as hen's teeth barrel weights that were available for the HW55s in their day? Thanks in advance for your knowledge/advice.

Reactions: DualMagMike