• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Break barrel rifle advise

Hello air gunners,
A bit of background, I live in the Middle east, Lebanon, I own 2 PCPs "Weihrauch HW100 .22 and Hatsan Gladius .177" not a competition shooter, I just love the challenge of hunting birds with an airgun using my Gladius, Lately I am considering a break barrel and before I get to main subject I would like to point that individual import of any kind of rifles is prohibited by the law, we don't have a wide selection of air rifle brands, the local hunting stores have exclusives on rifle brands, meaning you can find Hatsan at store Y while the HW100 at store X the Gamo at store Z and so on, so not one store actually have all the air rifle brands that are available in the country, it sucks I know but it is what it is and i have to live with it.
Now to the main subject, as said before am interested in a break barrel rifle, I have set a budget of 100$>150$, not scoped since I already have 2 PCPs and i want to shoot it open sights, I know at this budget the choices are narrowed and that is what I want, I can buff the budget a bit if the rifle I want meet with my needs which is light weight, gas piston, consistently accurate, durable, I know for what am asking the most rifles that stand out are the Hatsan's "Edge, Striker", so i went to the hunting store that sell hatsan and I could not find one rifle in Vortex even when I decided to buff my budget to include the 125 sniper, the 95, or the 87 QE, the only rifle that was available is the striker 1000s/x for 105$ 120$ in spring versions, so I left in disappointment that not even I did not find a Vortex, all the ones I considered to buy none but one was available, not saying that a springer is bad but I just feel i want a gas piston as a must to be satisfied of the purchase, so I went to a Gamo reseller and actually was fascinated by 2 rifles "the swarm maxxim and the black fusion IGT mach1" did not actually look at any other models and since I want open sights the swarm is eliminate automatically "even tempted" so I am left so far with 2 options the striker S spring 105$ or the BF IGT Mach1 for 350$, and this actually left me with a dilemma since the plan was not to spend over 200$ "buffed budget" while the ones within the budget is either not available or not in the same setup I want, I did find a Hatsan 125 not sure if it is the sniper version at 200$ but no Vortex also and it was kinda heavy and felt not well balanced when I stood hold it, the striker felt much comfortable at this stance.
Now that you read my journal "sorry for that" what do you guys recommend, so far it is the striker 1000s spring, the 125 or the Black fusion IGT mach1, to be honest am really leaning towards the Gamo as it did check everything I want -the price tag, but am open for suggestions and if possible to point why this not that.
Thank you so much in advance.
Steve Marinos

I've had the Hatsan 125, and as you say, it is a heavy and solid built springer. Very powerful in the beginning, breaking the sound barrier with a distinct crack, but over some time it lost some of the punch. Ok iron sights, but mine had a "not so good" trigger, and did not shoot accurate either.
Lot of airgun for the money, too much to be frank (ruined two of my scopes), so in the end it didn't come out very cheap either..... Fortunately the scopes was on the medium price scale, and maybe that was the reason why they didn't stand the test, but I didn't upgrade to find out.

G'day,

​I had a Hatsan 125 [.22]. I cut it up with my angle-grinder. The barrel from the pivot bolt was pointing left a few degrees and there was nothing I could do to fix it. I understand that others have had great success with the 125 and my problem was an issue of quality control ex-factory, but I decided to stick to German rifles plus my English .25 Patriot after that.

Jim

Garibaldi,
Victoria
​Australia

Hello repliers and thank you all for sharing your experiences,

-@spysir / John, most of the gun shops I know off have only facebook pages and as I stated before each sell "exclusively" a type of rifles, probably the only rifle I seen in common is the Diana also known as RWS in the US market, what I have seen or know of so far, FX and Daystate "same reseller", Edgun and Krall arms, Volcan and Baykal, Weihrauch, Cometa, Gamo, Hatsan and seems this reseller have Umarex in their branding but never seen the rifles or availability since well even the newer versions of hatsans are not available and they do have also Walther guess it is by Umarex and was offered the LGV for 550$, Diana or RWS "this one seen couple of versions on different resellers, I might have missed a brand but that's pretty much it, 

-@gadballs9 I was offered the RWS/Diana 34 used for 350$ when I asked about it at the reseller new condition it reached 450$, 1st this is way above my budget 2nd as I said in my main post we cannot import rifles individually, so buying from any online reseller is out of consideration.

-@Gunnertrones sorry to hear you had a bad experience with your 125, but yeah I did not like the way it felt when I held it, it was kinda unbalanced heavy and i felt it on the hand grip, that is not good for stand shooting, plus am looking for a lighter rifle because of my experience with the Gladius it is heavy and i find myself most of the time struggling to hold it steady when am hunting specially my preys lives on the trees and i have to aim higher than my eye sight with no rest, so eventually I find myself trying to find any rest to steady myself for a perfect shot besides carrying it for long is a PITA, now i do love it most of the times and it does the job greatly once am able to shoot steady :)

-@NTSOG Sorry about your bad experience, why you didn't just return it? I would hate even to make a wrong choice by getting a rifle that I don't like even in mint perfect condition and this is why am taking all my time to purchase this one break barrel even at the lowest cost possible mind that it is defective from manufacturer, anyways i don't think am buying a Hatsan because no Vortex is available the striker is my only option and am hesitant on buying it, like I said in my main post the 125 "sniper or not" did not feel right when I held it, to be honest the striker felt much better could be the weight difference but holding the 125 felt heavy on the hand grip and that is something I would like to avoid while am hunting over the tree branches.