• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Break Barrel - need help understanding how to purchase with quiet requirement

Hi, first post. Looking forward to learning more about the sport.

I'm an avid Hand gun and rifle enthusiast, but not when it comes to air guns. I'm looking to purchase my first rifle and I've been watching some YouTube vids to try and understand more about what I could buy.

I like the idea of a break barrel instead of CO2, pumpers or PCP.

What I'm looking for is a rifle that can be used in my backyard. I live in a country setting with no one behind us, but neighbors on both sides, 150 foot lots. I would like to use the rifle for target practice and I want to get a nice, quiet rifle. In addition, I'd like to have something with a fairly good amount of 'FPS', although I know that this is not the only thing to look at. My price range is upwards of $300.

To those points, here's a few that I've watched reviews of online that are interesting to me - all are from Gamo, all are break barrel.

• Swarm Fusion Gen2
  • Swarm Magnum Gen2 Inertia Fed
  • Swarm Maxxim Gen 2

So here's a few questions I have to start off the conversation... thanks in advance!

1. With the type of rifles listed above, is it true that type of pellet material actually matters as related to noise?
  2. Is a 22 cal quieter than a 177 cal because it's heavier?
  3. I've heard that keeping the FPS below the sound barrier is a big part of lowering the noise level.
  4. I'm not sold on only Gamo, it's just the brand that I've seen a lot of reviews on. Other options are welcome for me to consider.
  5. Of course, accuracy is certainly important also - seems to me like all the above choices are pretty close to the same?
  6. What are the variables that would cause me to choose a 177 vs a 22 cal? I know the dimensional differences, but I don't really know why I would choose one over the other.
    [/LIST=1]

Guess that's good for now.

I appreciate any advice.

Wayne

In my experience Wayne, .177 is quieter and generally more accurate, at least up to 25-yards.

I only use lead, 'cause I catch and recycle it. Alloy pellets will be louder, and more likely to ricochet.

Keep it under ~1100fps and you won't get that "crack" when shooting. Also be sure the barrel, chamber etc is free of oil and residue.

Gamos are great guns for those on a budget. The $300 magnum .22 swarm is a powerhouse at ~30FPE. 10 shots without reloading is sweet too. I carry spare mags filled and never have to take my gloves off. :)

swarmmagazines002.1607366984.jpg

For about half that, a Silent Cat or similar does fine work too.

silentcatwithbipodaccuracytest001.1607366866.jpg

As far as choosing between calibers, really depends on your wants/needs. Me, I just shoot benchrest at 25-yards 99% of the time, so a quiet, accurate .177 is what I'd aim for. :)

Wayne, welcome!

I will only comment on caliber and Gamo.

Caliber:  I have more airguns than I care to admit, but no .177. I only have .22 and .25. The reason, despite the .177 flat shot pattern? My open lot is windy and the heavier cals keep their longer-distance trajectory better. They also have more stopping power for humane hunting.

Gamo: good quality at a good price. Lots of different versions, both with traditional coil springs and IGT (gas compression) springs, like in swivel desk chairs. The IGT is a little more expensive and it has a dry snappy discharge -- no twang like a coil spring. They also last longer.

I like the accuracy and back yard friendliness of my Maxxim IGT with the shrouded barrel. I also like my IGT Magnums with the big fixed silencer. These magnums are very powerful but also harder to cock. The silencer gives more cocking leverage. 

The Gamo trigger is unfairly maligned as it comes heavy out of the box. But It is a very sweet 2 stage after some adjustment. In particular, after swapping out the (lawyer proof) short m2.5 set screw by a longer one.

Finally: break barrels are fun, but they have double recoil. You need to learn artillery hold to shoot them effectively, and even then accuracy can be elusive. This recoil also kills scopes, expensive or not. They need to be airgun rated -- a whole chapter in its own right. You also need a solid one-piece mount, or even a recoil compensating bullseye mount. Or its Aliexpress knock-off of course. PCPs are recoil-less but a different concept altogether.

You may also want to consider a fixed-barrel side- or underlever instead of their break barrel cousins. They often shoot more cleanly. Gamo has a nice one.

Best of luck!

🐦

Welcome! The Gamo rifles you listed or actually any model GAMO may not be easy for most newbies or even most people to shoot accurately with an acceptably level of repeatability nor quiet enough to shoot if noise and stealthy discreet shooting is of concern. There may be a bit of frustration when starting off with a Gamo unless you happen to be one of them lucky natural born great spring gun/gas ram shooters. 

The only quiet almost stealthy breakbarel that I personally know of is the $500+ HW30/30s Urban Pro from Airguns of Arizona however it is a low powered light weight break barrel springer that is extremely easy to shoot accurately meant for up to 30-40 yard shooting and light pest control. It is a little quieter than the much cheaper versions of this gun that do not have a silencer. The only gun quieter and more accurate than this one is an old vintage FWB 300s that typically sell for $450-$600 that is a proven Gold Medal Olympics winning true match target spring gun that has an easy to cock side lever with semi recoilless action and is 55 yard capable that can get boring to shoot aspirin tablets all day long with because it's really hard to miss what you aim at. The only drawback is they are heavy guns and true Olympic grade target rifles with no safety button or switch that sporter guns have. Start with this one you be really spoiled because it's like buying a Volquartsen or Kidd with a Class 3 silencer shooting Eley Tenex or Lapua X-Act instead of a standard factory straight out of the box Ruger shooting Remington Thunderbolt or Winchester Super X with nothing at the end of the barrel.

Again Odoyle nails it. HW 30 . Air guns of Arizona . If you need a scope and mounts the Urban Pro is nice. Do not fall into the more FPS the better trap. For what you want it’s not the way to go. My buddy has a gamo and it’s OK but it’s loud and relatively hard to cock and has a terrible hard to pull and creepy trigger. It’s inexpensive and fine for 90% of the people who buy air guns.
if you know fire arms the gamo is a savage and the HW is an anschutz. Nothing wrong with either but if you like refinement and are willing to pay a little more buy the HW. The FWB 300 is another great gun but I think of it more for indoors.

Also agree with Odoyle that an HW30 is a great choice. I have 2 (both .177), one is an AoA Urban Pro with moderator the other open sights and plain stock. Both are quiet enough for the backyard. A quiet backstop/pellet trap might be a bigger issue than the report of an HW30. I also shoot a moderated HW50s in .22. It is bit louder but not much than an HW30. 

D

Save money and buy THIS (no affiliation with the seller BTW) if you want quiet accurate out to 90-100 yards. It would cost roughly $220 to duplicate what he put in it. Check if the 5 year warranty is still valid and no irreversible modification have been done to it just in case. Then buy a $50 hand pump and filter. It will consistently outshot any modern day break barrel springer. Hi/ the hand pump from Wal-Mart with 4 year protection plan. Oops Wal-Mart doesnt have the warranty best you buy direct for cheaper. $47.99 free shipping. No need for water filter if you don't live in humid climate.

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/wts-benjamin-maximus-w-tko-baker-brass-trigger-175-00-tyd-con-us-paypal/

https://www.vevor.com/products/stirrup-charger-pcp-hand-pump-air-gun-rifle-gauge-sporting-hunting-tool-4500psi?gclid=CjwKCAiAwrf-BRA9EiwAUWwKXo3vUSfONOA-P3R6D6Gp-9s8uj1RB1fiuNaoRY4QUoHYCGVBWj8XPRoCgvkQAvD_BwE

Thanks, I got lucky on my HW50. Between the stock and it being tuned by a highly regarded tuner prior to me coming to own it. The hw 30 is a little lacking on power for a general use springer. Otherwise I'd recommend it over the 50. The 50 has a little more weight, but is still very comfortable shooting unrested. If you plan to scope it, I'd highly recommend a rear heavy scope as the rifle is front heavy by design. I pulled off a 44mm front objective scope from mine, and put a 1.75-10x24mm scope instead. It made a world of difference believe it or not. And I feel 8x magnification is about perfect for this rifle. The lighter scope altered the balance very noticeably.

I got mine for $400, but it's %150 worth it. And that was including shipping, and considering it had been professionally tuned as well. Everything about the gun is so crisp, and solid feeling. Nothing but quality here.

I'm recommending the .177 instead of the .22 I have because it will have a flatter trajectory(higher velocity), and will produce less noise on impact downrange. I do a lot of shooting at 20-35 yards, and I like to shoot guns that do not have any more power than I really need. This gun in .22 is sitting dead smack on top of the power output I typically tune my guns to shoot at.

120545193_420194475618989_3791334124914646756_n_edited.1607379708.jpg

Speaking of FWB 300S indoor gun?

How's about 55 Yards? (50 meters) this guy shooting from his butt gun only balanced on his knee not missing at fifty five yards?

It has similar power as the HW30 Urban Pro and HW30s.

http://cyberspaceandtime.com/0D_8-Qw7y6A.video+related

That's pretty insane.

Only thing is I cringe with someone down range like that!!

Hello Wayne, and welcome to the forum. Since you are looking for opinions I’ll throw mine in too. I believe your choice depends on what purpose you have for the rifle. Do you want an inexpensive gun that serves its purpose and shoots well enough? Then think Gamo. Do you want a finely made rifle with German quality that you will be proud to own. Then think HW30 or HW50. The Weihrauch rifles are just superb quality that will provide “pride in ownership” and will be passed down to future shooters. They do cost a little bit more than Gamo but are worth it in my opinion. I have both the HW30s and the HW50s and love them both. The HW30 is probably my favorite as it is so light and easy to shoot. If you don’t need extra power it is a fantastic rifle. My HW30 is a .177 and the HW50 is a .22. Both of these rifles have low recoil, minimal vibration, are easy to cock( especially the 30) and pleasant to shoot for an entire afternoon. 

The RWS 34 is another option. I don’t have experience with it but have read many good reports. German quality and a bit less expensive than the Weihrauch HW30 or 50. 

Either way you choose definitely stay away from chasing power. A .177 in the 600fps to 800fps range or a .22 in the 500fps to 700 fps range will provide many afternoons of accurate pleasant shooting and have you grinning ear to ear. If you get caught up in the speed race you will end up with a rifle that sounds like a .22 long rifle and gives 2” groups at 25 yards. I have had friends make that exact mistake and then end up buying a better rifle after wasting money. I hope my opinion helps you out some.

Kenny