• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Break Barrel For A Chuck?

So I am a pcp guy and my uncle reached out wanting something to take out some woodchucks in his back. Sadly he moved to Tennessee otherwise I would lend him something. He's 58 but a big guy and a navy vet so a break barrel should be okay. The issue is he doesn't want to spend a lot and I am looking for some input. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: qball
Define "spend a lot". The issue with break barrels and groundhogs is going to come down to accuracy. Body shots won't work and the brain is basically a 1" KZ
Well let's just say he sent me a link for one that was $180 and I was not comfortable recommending that one so I said I would look into more options.

Found the Diana I saw:

I actually have that one saved but wasn't sure if it had enough for a chuck
I take them with a nearly 17fpe 97K all the time. Inside 30yds and they don't have a chance. My buddy @oaks1450 just took one with his 12.5fpe .177 Pro Sport last week. Its all about shot placement. A 34 will get the job done but just make sure he knows he has to get to know the gun first.

I headshoot them at appx 50 yards with my Beeman Kodiak in .25 slinging Silver Bears (I'm old). I have also cleanly taken them in the head with my brother's RWS 48 in .22 using the 16gr JSB exacts at the same distance. I'd recommend a scoped 48 in .22 if he wants an adult springer or an RWS 54 AirKing if he wants to shorten the learning curve associated with mastering a springer

Reactions: Rich_B
Given the same weight pellet 177 caliber will penetrate better. Maybe find a 14 fpe springer that can shoot the 13 grain pellets? Those pellets can pack a punch. I've taken out adult skunk with heart and lung shot with 13 grain pellet at lowly 690 fps, it didn't make it pass 10 feet.

Someone I know at local FT match switched to 10.3 grain pellets in his TX200 springer and it's a ton more accurate.