• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Break-barrel Advice

Short Version:
What's my best option in a .22 break-barrel for around $250 to dispatch a fox and/or coons?

Longer Version:

My first post here and relatively new to this scene so looking for some advice. As a kid I grew up shooting pellet guns like most boys but haven't had one in quite some time. Recently, my wife purchased for our daughter a small dog - very small (a Chihuahua) which will only get to around 4 lbs. We have a mid-sized fox lurking around our home. This is probably due to the fact that it already got one of my daughters bunnies when she had it outside with her. This bunny was the size of this dog, lol.

So, I recently started researching break-barrel air rifles that would be capable of 'dispatching' the problem (as well as my over abundance of squirrels and coons). I wasn't looking to spend a lot of money (my wife just did that on this dog...), like around $150 - $200. I quickly found myself looking at Gamos since they do a great job at marketing and flaunting FPS. I also looked at Crosman NPs, Hasan 125s, etc. I was close to pulling the trigger on a Whisper Raptor ($150) but did more research and second guessed the decision because of mixed reviews on the quality. I also looked at the Gamo Magnum for around $250 which seemed to be a bit nicer but still a Gamo. 

If I was willing to push my budget up to that amount - $250 - $300 (with scope), what's my best option for a rifle that can do the job (fox, coons, squirrels). I see people here speak highly of the German rifles but I'm not sure they are in my budget, especially considering I want to be able to humanely get the job done (the German rifles get well outside my budget when I start looking at power). BUT I do also realize that if I can't hit the target it's all for not. I would estimate needing to shoot around 30 - 40 yards max to eliminate the problem.

I do also see myself just having fun with it and am willing to put time in getting comfortable with it and performing pellet testing...

Thanks in advance for any help/opinions.

The flying dragon xs-25 is a good choice and a very good value. It has enough power in .22 to dispatch coons with well placed head shots inside of 20-25 yards. With airgun hunting, accuracy and shot placement are everything. 

The xs-25 is a Chinese clone of the very well regarded German made RWS34. This is a well built springer with a cult following. It has been in production for decades. IMHO, the RWS34 itself is a great value. It can be found for about $300 shipped and occasionally goes on sale for about $200. Either the xs-25 or RWS34 will give you years of accurate shooting and hunting and is a much higher quality gun than anything from Gamo, Crosman or Hatsan. I much prefer steel springs over gas rams.

R

Another option would be the Walther Parrus .177 with a heavy pellet

https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/spring-piston/walther-parrus-wood/

1546239630_3532694025c29be8e49bf47.39690442_wal-parrusw177.png

Saw this thread yesterday and was going to suggest the 28. A MM tuned XS28 is the only magnum springer I would recommend. A docile as an RWS34 but with crazy power, great trigger, excellent groups and looked a lot better than I expected ) look dont count too much here tho).

Staying under $3,000 it's the only magnum springer I would purchase.

1546252760_5223309055c29f1d8393d94.84151680_28.jpg

John

She's going to kill me (the wife that is). I'm now leaning towards one of the following:

- Flying Dragon XS25 (tuned)
- Or an actual RWS 34
- Flying Dragon XS28-M (tuned)
- Or an actual RWS 350 Mag (pushing the budget) 
- HW95/R9 (pushing the budget)

Of that list, my top 2 would be the XS28-M and the HW95/R9. My wife would prefer me to get a Gamo for less than half the money but I keep hearing about grouping issues with them...

The trade off on some of these is accuracy/power (like the XS25 vs XS28). I want a gun that I can be acccurate with but also want enough FPE to be able to humanely dispatch my targets. I'm fine putting the practice time in but will never be the next Chris Kyle. I just fear that the mags might be a little all over the place.