brass impact regulator piston

Just in from fx USA Today

50AB7DD8-D851-4A9B-A118-C14AB8E55F9F.jpeg

Reactions: qball
The main thing I'm looking to get from a brass piston is reduced set point shift due to temperature changes. It's very noticable on the plastic piston. 70deg F to 40 deg F is around 10 bar change on my M3. Other than that issue, the plastic piston works great and it has the advantage of not needing a separate sealing surface material.

I wonder if they will offer the brass piston as a "200 bar upgrade package" that includes a full stack of 0.6mm belleville washers. Huma uses that for their 200 bar setup. The default AMP stack is 50/50 0.5mm and 0.6mm washers. I suspect 200 bar may be pushing the hybrid spring stack a bit too far.
Any idea why a plastic piston is so much temperature dependent?

The coefficient of linear thermal expansion of the Delrin piston about 5x that of the regulator body.

Whereas that of the brass piston more closely matches that of the regulator body (I.e. they expand and contract equally).
Could you post some tables with these figures? I am interested in thermal expansion of different materials. Maybe steel will be better than brass in than manner.

I think FX design is not the best one. That delrin part should be as thin as possible:
50ab7dd8-d851-4a9b-a118-c14ab8e55f9f-jpeg.279261

So that it does not change its dimensions drastically under temp. range.

Could you post some tables with these figures? I am interested in thermal expansion of different materials. Maybe steel will be better than brass in than manner.

Steel's coefficient is fairly low...a little less than brass. But bear in mind the goal wouldn't be to minimize this property, it would be to match it to that of the regulator body so the piston and regulator body grow or contract at the same rate. Given regulator bodies are typically something like aluminum or stainless steel, brass is a pretty good match. Delrin/acetal on the other hand is vastly different.

I think FX design is not the best one. That delrin part should be as thin as possible: So that it does not change its dimensions drastically under temp. range.
A little unconventional the way it sticks out like that but it's such a small part, its length will change only an infinitesimal amount due to temperature. Contrast that with the entire piston being made of Delrin.

The body of the regulator piston is just an aluminum block. Looking at the critical parts:
Both the nozzle and the piston are influenced by thermal expansion. If the temperature is lowered then both become shorter. The effect is similar to unscrewing regulator adjustment screw. However, delrin's dimensions are influenced like 5x more than brass. I would take FX brass piston and remove the excess of delrin material. I would eventually replace delrin with peek which seems to have lower linear coefficient of expansion.

But I think there may be a problem with delrin thickness reduction as there seem to be a hole in brass right below that delrin piece:
1659213943943.png

It seems delrin sticks out. What a poor design. C'mon FX! I understand they made it to improve reg service time - easier to replace delrin part.

Last edited:
PEEK is a good choice provided you smooth and polish both sealing faces, else it is apt to creep like crazy.

However its coefficient of expansion won't make any meaningful difference compared to Delrin because the dimensions are so small.

20220623_190419.jpg

20220623_190600.jpg

My brass pistons with peek seats are working great.

Finally got off my lazy ass and installed my brass regulator piston today in my impact, seems to be working great and holding pressure rock steady. Is it me or the regulator with the new brass piston actually fill the plenum MUCH faster?
Yes I noticed mine refilled faster also. But I can barely hear mine refill anyway. So far the brass pistons are working great for my m3