N/A Brass barrels

I had always operated under the assumption that brass barrels were inferior and that the only reason they were used in certain airguns was because of their soldered construction, then last night I was reading an old review and comparison of a Sharp Ace vs a Sheridan Blue Streak where Tom Gaylord mentioned that they were superior to steel since they do not rust.

Just wondering what others here think about them. Any long term issues with accuracy vs steel? I’d be thinking that being such a soft metal and with the way kids sometimes treat things that there must be a ton of Benjamins and Sheridans with mangled bores out there.

I think that you are correct about the likelihood of a mangled bore in young hands. I have not seen any degradation of accuracy with correct use, the brass stands up to pellet wear well. I had a much-loved silver streak from my childhood. Dad called up after sticking a pellet trying to educate a crow in his garden. But not to worry, he got the pellet out with a coat hanger. Then there were kids shooting finishing nails and heads from strike anywhere matches.

I think that you are correct about the likelihood of a mangled bore in young hands. I have not seen any degradation of accuracy with correct use, the brass stands up to pellet wear well. I had a much-loved silver streak from my childhood. Dad called up after sticking a pellet trying to educate a crow in his garden. But not to worry, he got the pellet out with a coat hanger. Then there were kids shooting finishing nails and heads from strike anywhere matches.
In fairness, I’m sure that finish nails and coat hangers will also damage steel barrels, but I’m a little dubious about some of the claims I’ve heard of steel air gun barrels being damaged by brass brushes or cleaning rods. It seems possible, but highly unlikely. With a brass barrel on the other hand and what I can only imagine was a nearly complete ignorance of airguns by most shooters it just seems highly likely that many brass bores ended up badly damaged.

I don’t really recall any rusted out airgun barrels either. I’ve seen plenty of rusty bores, but they were almost entirely powder burners that had been firing corrosive ammo.

IIRC, Sheridan barrels are phosphor bronze. Apparently it's very slippery when polished. Not as kid resistant as steel is, though.

Cheers,

~
That’s pretty hard stuff. But not like steel.
It’s used because it’s cheaper to produce than steel. Long tool life. Great machined finish.
Sheridan were built cheap. Just look at one. Love em or hate em. Cheap. The stock wood doesn’t match because shorter cuts of walnut are …………..CHEAP.
It is what it is.

so I am thinking about that because I have had several guns from the Philippines and I agree that it is softer but I don't think it likely to be damaged with reasonable care. easier to machine but I can see a big plus for humid climate for people to hunt that don't have modern convenience like we do.. I had years ago a ARS Farco shotgun and a Parco 22 survival gun with a foot pump built in.. they use those in the jungle there since firearms are heavily regulated..
I have no doubt that steel barrel would quickly deteriorate there in similar condition especially if it was not well oiled and cleaned regularly.. my Parco 22 was a precharge of sorts.. I think 120 pumps until it feels full and then you can get 20 shots before pumping back up..
I agree with a prior comment about damage to steel barrel with just brass brush and reasonable cleaning.. but I do understand that some people polish barrels with abrasive material and that's when you have to be careful.. anything wears out..
if we wanted too notch barrel that would be still good, long after the gun is wore completely out, we would be putting in stainless steel barrel like firearms have..
Mark

so I am thinking about that because I have had several guns from the Philippines and I agree that it is softer but I don't think it likely to be damaged with reasonable care. easier to machine but I can see a big plus for humid climate for people to hunt that don't have modern convenience like we do.. I had years ago a ARS Farco shotgun and a Parco 22 survival gun with a foot pump built in.. they use those in the jungle there since firearms are heavily regulated..
I have no doubt that steel barrel would quickly deteriorate there in similar condition especially if it was not well oiled and cleaned regularly.. my Parco 22 was a precharge of sorts.. I think 120 pumps until it feels full and then you can get 20 shots before pumping back up..
I agree with a prior comment about damage to steel barrel with just brass brush and reasonable cleaning.. but I do understand that some people polish barrels with abrasive material and that's when you have to be careful.. anything wears out..
if we wanted too notch barrel that would be still good, long after the gun is wore completely out, we would be putting in stainless steel barrel like firearms have..
Mark
I have to wonder if there are any high quality airguns with stainless barrels?
Edit, I did a search and came up with this list.
https://www.google.com/search?q=air...MzkyM2owajE1qAIAsAIA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

myself about any PCP, to afford it, I'd likely have to machine a barrel blank.. but I'd have to go with a steel firearm barrel because I don't do anything stainless steel.. I guess I just didn't get good enough for stainless steel, it's so hard I've ruined colbalt drills, but was part of the cost.. and I haven't tried carbide insert yet on stainless steel but after trying what I have, well I just decided that it was cheaper to pay a machine shop for the stainless steel work
Mark

myself about any PCP, to afford it, I'd likely have to machine a barrel blank.. but I'd have to go with a steel firearm barrel because I don't do anything stainless steel.. I guess I just didn't get good enough for stainless steel, it's so hard I've ruined colbalt drills, but was part of the cost.. and I haven't tried carbide insert yet on stainless steel but after trying what I have, well I just decided that it was cheaper to pay a machine shop for the stainless steel work
Mark
Depends on the stainless. Much of it machines beautifully with HSS.
P1307997.JPGP1307998.JPG

Reactions: markhooper
I have four Sheridan's, from 1955 to 1971, and ony one was abused. It's barrel was cut off by a cave man. At least it looked like cave man tools were used.
After a re-square, and re-crown, it shoots as good as any..
I can't say that their barrels are capable of precision accuracy, because of the lack of precision in the MPP platform, but they are amazingly accurate plinkers with oper sights.

20230309_112234.jpg20230714_191452.jpg

Reactions: markhooper