Brand new to the sport. Any tips?

Hi, 

I'm new to air rifles. Apart from from having a go on mates or as a kid I have little to no experience. I've got a Weihrauch hw95k on order as I've fancied trying it and this world lockdown seems like a perfect back yard pass time. 

I've been watching lots of reviews on YouTube. One of which is Cyclops videos (funny guy) but apart from that and online reviews est not had any input into what gear I may need to get started in this sport. 

So far I've got...

Hw95 (not arrived yet 🙄)

Scope

A basic bench thing for zeroing 

Bag

Targets

Pelets

Any tips as to maintenance, gear or equipment to keep me and my new rifle in tip top order? 

Thanks 

Just one.Don't get discouraged!

Shooting a springer (vs a pcp) requires some extra discipline, resting on the bag you mention then trying to shoot off hand will change things. Practice and don't be afraid to try different pellets, every barrel is different. Oh and don't start by thinking your going to hit a tin can at 100 yards. You might, but I'd start a 15 or 20 yards after sighting in your scope and work out to whatever distance is good for you.

Welcome to the sport. That's a great rifle you have coming. For many, you are at the top of a slippery slope when it comes to air gun stuff. I would be reluctant to compound your looming dilemma, but one thing missing from the above is rust preventive for your new rifle. Every time you cock your new springer, you leave acid and other other material off your hands on the blued surface. That's normal while shooting, but after you quit for the day you need to apply a light coat of rust preventive. Many use light machine oil. Some buy commercial products like Ballistol. What ever you get, put some on a rag and use that to re-apply after every shooting session. That will keep the blued, metal surfaces clean, dark and rust-free. After that, the sky's the limit. If I was starting out, I would order a pellet sampler from Straight Shooters, safety glasses, 50 ft small bore targets from Pistoleer, et al ad infinitum. 

I've the HW95L and it's a great, superb .177 air rifle. I bought mine used and was surprised that it's got some kick. From a rest, it's a laser. Off-hand, I light shooting the lighter HW30 better. However, if I shooting longer distances, the 95 is the way to go.

Pellets made a world of difference for me, though my 95 is not petllet picky (like some of my other ones). Nonetheless, better pellets do typically provide me with more reliable shot placement (again, when I do my part). Having grown up with shot guns and rifles, I thought this would be an easy transition. NOT. I spent my first three months buying and trying various gun and pellets. What I discovered was informative: pellets matter more than I thought. 

I practice at 13 yards and have metal spinners set up at 20 and 25 yds. BTW, shooting springers really does take practice; but, for me this has been very rewarding. I've already eradicated 25 pests from my yard this year. 

Have fun and be safe. These AGs are a lot more powerful than I initially thought.

:Arch_E

If you do start to slide down the slope, give up immediately, you can't stop yourself. I suggest, when you start buying more guns, go top shelf from the get go. EG; Spring guns -- TX200, HW97, Walther LGU and many others not mentioned. The ones that are mentioned are the ones I have and they all are great shooters.

If you get caught by the "dark side," top shelf there too. My Red Wolf arrives Tuesday. My wallet stays empty for a lot longer than that.

Great first rifle. once you get it set up get out and shoot with other guys(when things get back to normal of course). Shoot in matches if any are in your area. Don't worry about your scores or your equipment . just enjoy the shooting with others and see what they are doing. More fun for me than killing stuff and you get more shooting in. I am not anti-hunting but match shooting is much more fun for me. You will make a lot of new friends too.

Rick B.

As you state, use the bench for sighting in you sight/scope.

Get off the bench as soon as possible afterward. To me anyway, learning to shoot well, is a human thing. Not a mechanically aided thing. I like to improve my skills while offhand shooting, because that's all on me (and the quality of my weapon.. Not using bags, monopods, bipods, etc. Anyone can can shoot dime sized groups off of a rest. Challenge...yourself...to shoot well.

Then when you go out to shoot longer ranges, you'll already have good experience, and should be able to adapt to the various longer ranges easier than if you spend your shooting time on a rest.

And to restate from above...have fun.

Mike.

My advice is don't use super light pellets, I'd start out with JSB 8.4's if .177, Or mid weight if 22 cal like 14.3-16gr.

Use a good backstop, these aren't super powerful but more than one thinks early on. Not much worse than pissing off a neighbor! 

Find the most comfortable way to hold the rifle and don't change it. Why??? Springers are hold sensitive and can/will cause POI shifts which can be aggravating, especially when changing grip positions, on and off the bench, etc. 

Start on big targets first and over time work your way down. Press the trigger straight back and "Follow Through" on the shot. Don't believe everything you see here or other forums, some of that stuff is either embellished or flat out BS. 

Enjoy

Welcome aboard! Though I'm not a springer guy some of the basics are still the same. Spray can of Ballistol is easy & works on wood stocks as well as metal. Be patient with your gun and yourself! It'll take time for both of you to "break-in". This forum is loaded with people who are generous & patient with their time, knowledge & equipment. If you get drawn into the "dark side" be prepared to pawn your wife, kids, dog & cat & your car! You won't be alone, we all understand. Peace out. 

EDIT: Forgot, get a "pull-through" type cleaner or bore snake without the metal brushes.