• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Brand New to Airguns...Help

Hi All,

I am new to airguns and could use a little help. I have done a little research and I think I want a PCP rifle. Question is where to start and what caliber. I want an accurate gun with good power for hunting and long range. Price range $500 to $800 ish. What caliber? Leaning toward .25. I would like to be able to compete maybe. Just want to get real world ideas from people not on you tube.

Thanks Steve

Does that budget cover a fill method? You need to get that figured out, it will probably affect your decision on what to purchase. Is there a place close to you that you could get a tank filled? You can get a hand pump pretty cheap these days, but it cuts down on the fun factor in my opinion. It’s hard to shoot a pcp without some way to fill it though.

What area of Florida are you in? 

I think there’s people that shot slugs out of theirs but I don’t know what the results were. Slugs can be finicky in some guns and you got to do a lot of testing and sometimes use different slugs to get good results. I personally don’t shoot slugs. I don’t know exactly what gun to recommend to get great accuracy at that distance without spending around $1500. Like I said before there are some guns that are under $1000 That will shoot accurately at that distance. But you can buy five guns exactly alike and everyone One of them are going to most likely shoot a little different. PCP airguns are completely different than shooting powder burners. Some of them require a lot of testing. One of the main things that you want in your gun is a real good barrel. That makes all the difference. But even on cheaper guns sometimes you hit the barrel lottery and get a good one. I found out the best way to get into this is don’t buy cheap but by mid range and then learn from there. Then later on by an expensive gun. Not unless you have deep pockets.

No argument with some of the suggestions already. Ok, your in FL so you have a lot to shoot at year round. The Nova/Neutron Star is slightly more than 800...I have experience with the gun and it's more oriented to target than hunting - that goes for the Kratos, too - think bulky and heavy all up with huge and heavy scope. Because of your budget your going to have to give something up so here are two choices. Number one AirForce; major power and it's been around forever so about as reliable as a PCP can be - it will do everything you want, but it's single shot; that's what you give up and it's near the top of what you're able to spend. Second choice is the Marauder; this gun made it's reputation early in 25 - it's accurate, but the 22's had accuracy problems which have been solved. The gun has so many aftermarket items and modifications it's virtually the Ruger 10/22 of PCP's. The good part is you don't have to mod anything - just shoot it as is. It's major advantage is it's quiet and extra mags are cheap! If you lived out West (less cover) you'd lean towards the AirForce, but you live in FL (more cover) so within your budget the Marauder in 25 is your best choice - oh did I forget the 5 year warranty and good customer service. So let's spend your money (approximately): Marauder in 25 there is a coupon on the forum which may work, but lets say $500 then you get the Alpha6 4.5-27 scope on sale now - let's say $200 + some rings and H&N Barracuda's, Crow Magnums for close range smackdown and a pump for $50 from Amazon...You give up some power over the AirForce, but if you take most shots within 50 yards while you learn your gun, you may be able to stretch that to 70. 

Above was I think a good suggestion on the Marauder. But I would go with the field and target version which is a little bit more money. It has the lother Walther barrel. I know it is very accurate out to 60 yards. It’s just 100 yards can be hit or miss unless you spend a lot of money. And yes if you buy through Crossman ,You get a five year warranty with good customer service and the Airgun nation discount code.I think the code is AGNation.But I could be wrong on the code but it’s close and there are people on here that definitely know the code. It will save you 25%

Look at the YouTube video from team 1721. That’s Rick reviewing that rifle just shooting pellets out of a tin.He shoots a bunch of them and he could cover the group with his thumb. There’s a guy on this forum that ended up buying that Same gun from him. There’s other videos also. He’s shooting a 22 caliber though. But it’ll give you a idea of the accuracy. I think there might be one shooting at 100 yards on there also.But I don’t want to confuse you because the field in target version has the Lothar Walther barrel which is choked and some choked barrels don’t shoot slugs as good.But those barrels work great for pellets.So if you’re positive you want to shoot slugs maybe just get the regular marauder.There’s only certain people that you can trust doing those YouTube videos. It took me a while to figure out which ones were the legit ones. And those particular guys are on this forum.