Tuning Brand New gauntlet 2 Not Filling

I am New to Air Rifles and just got my New Gauntlet 2 and the Ready Air Compressor.. completed all the steps to get my gun ready to fill..... the pressure test on the compressor passed with no problems.. when I plug it into the rifle .. I get no movement ??? the needle on the gauge on the rifle doesn't budge ? I am not sure what I am doing wrong ? can anyone point me in the right direction...

If cocking the gun, and then trying to fill, does not work, then you may need to have it filled at a paintball or scuba store from one of their tanks. Essentially, to fill one of these guns from zero pressure needs a burst of air, and a compressor can not provide enough volume. I had a FX Dreamline that needed to be filled at the paintball store for the first fill. After that, the compressor worked fine. Good luck!

Is it blowing \out just as fast as it goes in? I'm guessing you probably can't hear where it is leaking with the compressor on but if you have a few seconds of hissing after it is off, maybe you can home in on the approximate location. With that information we might be able to point you in the right direction so you can at least decide if it is something you want to fix or to send it back.

My new Gauntlet 30 arrived yesterday evening. I was excited to charge it up,mount my optics and sight in. Same as above....my compressor is pumping but the pressure is not coming up. I then figured out it was coming straight out the end of the barrel as fast as it went in. I cocked it and pulled trigger to cycle and still no change. This morning, I removed the tank and tried to just pressure the tank up. Air comes straight out of the end of the regulator. Shouldn't the regulator be holding it back until it hits the 2900# set? I did write Umarex service, but of course it was a Fri night so won't hear back until next week sometime. I sure don't want to send it back to them and wait again....

So my question is as above, we're you able to solve problem? any other suggestions?
THX!

Rip,...I know, I know. I knew better, but I got tired of waiting for some of our reputable air gun shops to get them in and bought it from a gun dealer in GA that had 4 of them. Nothing wrong with the gun dealer. He just isn't a airgun shop. All brand new, unopened box, comparable price and quickly shipped. But not airgun knowledgeable or accepting returns....back to manufacturer under warranty.

Good new however. I read the posts above about hitting the system with some volume to seat everything. As I don't have a paintball shop nearby, I hooked a small hose to my shop air compressor, (120 psi) and slipped the end on the fill connect. Figured what did I have to loose. First time, still coming out barrel. Then I opened the bolt and it began taking the pressure and soon equalized to my 125 psi. After that, 12 minutes on my HP compressor and I'm full charged up to 4500 psi. Hope to try it later this evening.
Thanks,
JC

Reactions: ripping.r
Just so you know you're not alone I'll fill you in on my filling issue last night. So I received my Gauntlet 30 yesterday afternoon. I was going to hold off filling it until after I disassembled, adjusted trigger, cleaned and then re-assemble. Seeing there might be a problem with getting it filled I gave it a try.

I double checked the owners manual which stated "unloaded, cocked, "ON SAFE" . . .". Then hooked it up to my ReadyAir and turned it on. Pressure was not building and I discovered that I forgot to close the pumps bleed-off valve. I closed it and fired it back up and pressure began to build. It continued to build pressure until just over 2700 PSI when it started loosing pressure.

To make a long story shorter, I fired it about a half dozen times without pellets. This thing is really loud compared to my Gauntlet 2 in 22. To quit it I put the muzzle in a folded towel sitting in a laundry basket so I didn't have to hold the towel. I gave it another try and again it began to loose air around 2700 PSI. At this point I wasn't sure if the problem was with my gun or the compressor. I grabbed my 22 which was at about half full and hooked it up. I left it un-cocked, just turned on the compressor. It filled all the way to 4500 PSI without any issues so I now knew the compressor was not the issue.

Before hooking up the Gauntlet 30 again I decided to bleed off a little air. I backed out the bleeder screw and after bleeding off a little air tightened it back down. This time I hooked it up without cocking it and this time it filled to 4500 PSI. After setting all night it's still at 4500 PSI.

Things I learned; Make sure your bleed off valves are closed. The manuals are not always correct, the manual stated to turn the screw "clockwise" to degas but if the gun is upside down you need to turn it counter-clockwise, lefty loosie, righty tighty. It doesn't have to be cocked to be filled, it just can't have pressure on the poppet valve.

I think the problem is these guns have been sitting in containers for who knows how long a couple small desiccant packets are not enough to keep things from maybe sticking. The dry firing loosens things up and lets the seals mate better. If you're using a hand pump I could see how it may never fill but don't give up.

Last edited:
Reactions: 17dean
It doesn't have to be cocked to be filled, it just can't have pressure on the poppet valve.
Just so the newer guys are clear it can't have pressure on the poppet from the hammer so you either hold the lever back some or have the gun cocked when filling from empty. Once there's some pressure in the system it will hold the hammer shut. If the gun has a Delrin poppet they would normally be spun against the seat a little to make the surfaces mate perfectly and seal. The assembly workers may not be doing that step. A brass poppet with a thin rubber coating should seal with no fuss but they don't last long.

you can remove the bottle from the gun and fill it to about 500 psi, then reinstall the bottle, it should be enough to seat the poppet, Make sure to lube the O-rings on the bottle valve/regulator with Silicone oil or Silicone grease, then you can resume filling the gun, if 500 psi is not enough try 800 psi and so on, until the poppet seats.

Well I did what Heavy said, dry fired it a bunch in my garage, into an old tennis shoe for a suppressor:). Pressure held, added my sights and sighted it in this afternoon. All seemed to work fine. Have left it with about 2000 psi on it and I'll watch to see if that bleeds down over the next few days. Apparently, my cheap ebay compressor didn't like going to 4500# and died after my last fill. Troubleshoots point to the motor itself...always something!

Thanks again to all for the help and suggestions. I am not new to PCP, but my Bullboss worked perfectly from day one until I sold it a few weeks ago, so I didn't have a clue where to start when this one didn't work from the beginning.
Jc

Update. My Gauntlet .30 still kept bleeding down after about 3 days so I did send it in for the warranty repair as it was so new. I held my breath, but they only kept it about a week and then returned it. No real documentation on what they replaced other then a note in the box that it had been repaired and held pressure for 48 hours.
It's holding pressure for weeks now, so far so good.

Just hold the bolt back a little while filling the first time like you're pulling the hammer spring 20%. This should allow the valve poppet to seat and stop the air going out the barrel. This need only be done when the tank is empty.
You are correct!! It worked- I just held back the cocking mechanism for about 30 seconds and it started filling perfectly! Thank you

Reactions: 17dean