HW/Weihrauch Brake barrell

Hello. It is happening again I’m not sleeping wondering and wishing. I am under a spell of a break barrel HW, and also fixated on the .20….
I need to hear what everyone thinks about the difference in overall performance and experiences of all who have HW50’s and HW95’s in this caliber. I was certainly thinking about a .22 as I absolutely do not appreciate .177, I have a TX200 in .177 and I just am not impressed. I also have owned a Brocock sniper XR in .177 and also did not enjoy shooting it as much as my Impact in .22.

I currently have a HW77 in .22 and I do like it very much but really want a break barrel, and for some reason .20 seams like the perfect caliber for this platform.

Let me know your opinion, I really like .22, is the .20 worth the effort and expense for stocking another caliber of pellet.

Thank you in advance

You're gonna get a lot of opinions. Here's mine. If you're gonna get a 22 or even a 20 go with the 95. They'll shoot roughly 700-730 fps at full power.

The 50 gets loopy in the bigger calibers. They shoot roughly 600-650 fps in 22 and 20.

I've had the Hw50 in 22. The only gun I've sold. I have a 22 Hw95 and R1 and a 20 caliber Hw98 and R9. The 20 calibers Weihrauchs seem to be a little more accurate. They're not really much faster than the 22 because the larger 22 bore is more efficient and makes more power. The 22s have a slightly smoother shot cycle and have a little less bark in their muzzle report.
22 pellets are easier to find and give you much more variety. There's only 5 good pellets made for 20 cal. Four domes and the very expensive predator hunting pellets.

Bottom line i like the 20 cal over the 22 in the 95 family. It's an excellent combination. You just have to be willing to do a little digging to feed it. Digging through the internet to find the pellets and digging through your pockets when you see what they get for them.

IMO the abundant types and easy availability of 22 pellets make it a better choice for casual shooters

I have/had many Weihrauch 20/22 caliber rifles over the past 40 years. Only have 22’s now. A few 177’s. I do not find the 20’s accuracy any different than the 22’s. More of a gun to gun, power to power thing. The 20’s are just enough smaller that my tired hands have a hard time getting ahold of as the 177’s are also. And why in the world would anyone pay more for a pellet than a 22 long rifle cartridge! I primarily shoot Crosman Premier Hollow Points. Made in the USA. A 500 count tin is around $10. Incredibly accurate. When I shoot my Sheridan 20 caliber, two tins of 200 each cost over $25. Crazy! Ron (Mycapt65) is spot on when saying 22 is the wise choice for most air gunners needs.

Last edited:
What the others have said & I only have experience with the HW95L .22 which IMHO is an excellent air rifle. I put in an ARH kit + Vortek seal with GPL-205 Krytox lube. My rifle averages about 17 FPE after almost 10K shots. My wife also enjoys shooting "OUR" rifle from the back deck. Sometimes I can get a 5 shot MOA group at 25 to 30 yards but not always. I suggest the .22 because of the large variety of pellets available. My rifle seems to like the H&N FTT 14.66 gr 5.53 mm best.