• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

BR @100 - tripod vs front rest

What could be a major change in POI quality?

Fx Impact MK2 PP 700mm with a long Arca rail, and diy designed rear adjustable stock with integrated picatinny rail for attachments.

For now the CF tripod with a low profile Leveling head and arca clamp at front and an adjustable monopod at rear is...relatively easy and comfortable to cary around and setup at bench.

For a fixed distances 100 and jump to a 50 meters the front tripod is fixed height and adjusting the rear monopod only.

Tinkering about a quality front rest but afraid of enlarging a gear dragging around. I am also tethering from a larger 14L scba bottle, and already walking many times between the bench and a car.

Q to people with larger chunk of metal (front rest) why you don't use a tripod why a rest?

Get a lightweight, carbon fiber bipod. They’re light, unobtrusive and work well for giving a solid rest. You can get a Caldwell for about $100 or something like an Evolution bipod for $300. With the Evolution bipod you can get long interchangeable legs, tripod mounts and other interchangeable accessories. There are lots and lots of options available these days from inexpensive to very expensive, you just have to find the one that fits your needs.

Good luck, Stoti 

20210803_201404.1634015972.jpg

This what I am using, and pretty much working well at one range (50 and 100 meters), but missing the height adjustment at the other range (50 and 100 meters also).

What is a problem? The table/bench height in relation to the target, the two ranges have different height tables, also the target buts higher at first range and lower at next range, so I started carrying now a piece of 2x3 as well in my pocket...

I am watching some of my guys have so nice looking shiny rests for their precision rifles, very tempted to get one as well.

I was at my gunclub today, some leisure time not many people around. I was focusing on tuning my shots, and found myself struggling with holding the gun down on the table. Feels like not enough weight up front and the whole thing is moving slowly to the Right, every 2-3 shots I need to adjust the rear for about a MOA (POA @100). The sequence is release the levelling head -> move the rear -> check the bubble -> tighten the head. If I don't do this way and just move/push the rear monopod back to my initial POA the POI looks like that I induced a side torque.

I am getting some bad idea to get one of those full metal rests. Dragging sand bags to a range to hold down that tripod... looks just weird.