• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

BR 100 need help with the field, it is not flat.

I need help, we want to do BR100 in a military range, they have offered us their 300-meter field, but the first 100 yards are not flat, the terrain has a fairly pronounced depression, this can affect shots with air rifles? (more wind for example ) Is there a rule about it? How would the wind flags be placed?

I await your opinions, thank you

poligono cotapachi.1645455590.png

I shoot my airguns and 22lr at a 300m rifle range and the berms / depressions / target boards at 50, 100, 200 does make for interesting wind calls. Not sure about rules, but if you are hosting a competition and the terrain varies across the firing line you will run into conflicts over lane assignments. At my range I would head for the left end of the range where the tree line provides some protection.

An extremely effective wind reading device is just a string pulled from bench to target. Arrange it so you can see the string with your left eye while you have your right eye in the scope. If you get used to it…you won’t want to give it up. You’ll get all kinds of complaints at matches if you try to use it because no matter how many times you ask other competitors to not cross lanes while they are going out to the target they will anyway..,,and when they trip over your string it will always be your fault. 😀

Mike 

An extremely effective wind reading device is just a string pulled from bench to target. Arrange it so you can see the string with your left eye while you have your right eye in the scope. If you get used to it…you won’t want to give it up. You’ll get all kinds of complaints at matches if you try to use it because no matter how many times you ask other competitors to not cross lanes while they are going out to the target they will anyway..,,and when they trip over your string it will always be your fault.
1f600.svg

Mike

Mike

I’m not following the “string from bench to target idea.” How does this help reading wind? I use the Wicks wind flags on my flat outdoor range, but I’m not understanding how a string handles tail and head winds. I’m assuming the string is taped to a point on the target that is even with the target cards. That would help see right to left and left to right winds. How do you assess your holds based on string movement?

Can you explain more fully?
Thanks, Tom

Tom…rather than give you a big long winded answer, I would suggest just pulling a string out to a 50y target and see what you see. It’s not magic…you will get out of it what you put into it.

In FT matches….if I can pick up the reset string and have it free hanging all the way to the target…it’s very unlikely I will miss that shot. It tells you a tremendous amount of wind information….you just have to look. Try it out. 

Mike