Bought a Springer

Metal muzzle weights can be epoxied on with devcon 5 or 40 min epoxy. Make two or three rings of masking tape around the barrel to create bushings that fit the weight well. Mix the epoxy and brush a light coat around the tape bushings, slide the muzzle weight in place and let cure. If you ever want to remove it, heat the weight with a propane torch and it will break down the epoxy and while hot you can slide the weight right off with a gloved hand. I do it all the time. Works great. It's how I used to attach reel seats to fishing rod blanks when I built custom fishing rods.
It's great for airguns because it doesn't mark the barrel like shims and set screws can and it will never vibrate loose.

You can reach out to me if you need more help.
Be well
Ron

Reactions: maxtrouble and Zut
Thanks maxtrouble,
I see that ARH recommends electrical tape to shim the barrel break. That seems like it would peel off when you try to install it. I am planing on removing the front globe sight. Do you have any opinion on the Weihrauch Universal Muzzle Break?
Nope, it doesn't. I have one on a Beeman R7 .177 I bought from a member on another forum. Followed Jim's instructions, put a layer on, tested it to find it was still a bit loose, applied another layer of tape and tried again. It was just a touch snug sliding on but did without peeling any of the tape and hasn't budged since I did it. If the day comes I want to take it back off, I only need to loosen the grub screws, pull it and the tape off and wipe down with some rubbing alcohol to get the glue residue off.
p.s. - The grub screws don't need to be serious tightened, just snug since they snug into the tape which keeps them from digging into the barrel itself.
Beeman R7 .177 Bench 1.jpg

Last edited:
Metal muzzle weights can be epoxied on with devcon 5 or 40 min epoxy. Make two or three rings of masking tape around the barrel to create bushings that fit the weight well. Mix the epoxy and brush a light coat around the tape bushings, slide the muzzle weight in place and let cure. If you ever want to remove it, heat the weight with a propane torch and it will break down the epoxy and while hot you can slide the weight right off with a gloved hand. I do it all the time. Works great. It's how I used to attach reel seats to fishing rod blanks when I built custom fishing rods.
It's great for airguns because it doesn't mark the barrel like shims and set screws can and it will never vibrate loose.

You can reach out to me if you need more help.
Be well
Ron
Thanks Ron, I will get the ARH muzzle break. Is that the one you recommend?
Zut

Thanks Ron, I will get the ARH muzzle break. Is that the one you recommend?
Zut
I'm not sure ARH has them any more. I looked a couple of weeks ago and they weren't in stock. RWS used to make a metal sleeve. And there's a member here that makes beautiful ones out of delrin. His login is SpiralGroove. His knock on as a press fit. They are very nice but can be tough to remove without damaging the muzzle brake itself. Here's a picture of mine on my Hw50. I'm ok leaving it on forever as a only want to use this gun scoped.
Good luck
Ron

20220624_095713.jpg

20220624_095648.jpg

@SteveP-52 - I have the exact same table. Really nice table, been very happy with it. I like how it is so light weight but damn sturdy.

I've had mine something like 4 years now ?, gets stored in an outdoor shed in the winter (I live in NY) and not a speck of rust anywhere on the metal work. Just a drop of oil now and then on pivot points to keep things moving smooth. Also fits in the back seat of my car...lol.

Awesome information on the muzzle brake, I think I will order one then, thanks Steve P-52
Link to ARH which shows then currently in stock:

If you want one, I'd suggest buying one or even 2 while you can. I bought mine a couple years ago for another project and not long after, the last of the batch sold out. That was 2 years ago. No clue why the long wait between batches but why I suggested grabbing a couple while you can just in case.

I've had mine something like 4 years now ?, gets stored in an outdoor shed in the winter (I live in NY) and not a speck of rust anywhere on the metal work. Just a drop of oil now and then on pivot points to keep things moving smooth. Also fits in the back seat of my car...lol.

Link to ARH which shows then currently in stock:

If you want one, I'd suggest buying one or even 2 while you can. I bought mine a couple years ago for another project and not long after, the last of the batch sold out. That was 2 years ago. No clue why the long wait between batches but why I suggested grabbing a couple while you can just in case.
I just put in the order for the ARH muzzle break. The Weihrauch HW50S .22 caliber should be here today! Building a target box now. Really looking forward to getting it sighted in. Gonna order an Airmax 2-7 AO too. At first I was gonna use a peep site, but I have one on an another firearm and I decided to see how accurate I can shoot a springer.

This is the first airgun I've owned since I was a 10 year old kid with a Crossman 760. My uncle had a break barrel .177 back in the 60's and I loved that gun. I think it might have been a Beeman R7. It would have been around 1966 to 68 or so. I am not sure when Beeman started importing them. It was a really an easy gun to handle and shoot as a kid.

I agonized over the HW35 but eventually decided that the weight of that gun was just to much. My wife likes to shoot as well and I didn't think she would enjoy the extra weight. That might be the second springer I own!

Anyway I will post some pics and targets in a few days or so

Cheers
Zut

Reactions: d3vnull
Before I was going to surprise her with one I let my wife cock the Hw50. She could do it but she said she couldn't see herself doing it for as long as we like to shoot. I got her a Hw30 and we sometimes shoot for hours together. Hers and my two Hw30s are all 177.

The 2-7x32 Airmax is an excellent choice for your Hw50. I ordered three of those ARH muzzle weights for my R1 and Hw95. Thanks Steve!

Last edited:
Reactions: Zut
Well the thought of getting her the HW30 did cross my mind ;)

The HW50S .22 caliber arrived this afternoon. She shot it a dozen times or so. She's a fit lady and ****ing it was not a problem for her, but after about 100 pellets, my arms were feeling it!

I checked the velocities with my Oehler chronograph on several different pellets. I didn't keep an exact list of the velocities because I was so surprised at the low speeds.

RWS Hobby 11.9 grain 500 fps This was much slower then I expected

None of these pellets were faster the 480 fps
H&N FTT 14.66 grain
JSB Exact Express 14.3 grain
JSB Exact RS 13.43 grain
Crossman Premier 14.3 grain

Do these velocities seem slow for a new HW50?
Elevation 2900ft Temp 70F

I used this site to base my opinions on the HW50 velocities.

Cheers
Zut

Last edited:
Reactions: judorichard
I prefer the slimmer and longer steel muzzle brakes I made. Glued on. Will come off with heat. Painted with durable epoxy paint.
Making one for my HW50 next.
View attachment 270938steel muzzle brakes I made. Glued on. Will come off with heat. Painted with durable epoxy paint.
Making one for my HW50 next.
View attachment 270933View attachment 270935

View attachment 270939
I agree the slimmer ones look better. Especially on a 15mm barrel. Yours are beautiful. Like you I'll glue on the ARH ones I orderd.

Well after two days of testing the new HW50S in .22 caliber with two different chronographs, the gun is going back to AoA on warranty.

I now have around 400 pellets thru the gun and have cleaned the barrel 3 times.

Velocity as tested by AoA that came with the gun
RWS Hobby 11.9 5 shot average @ 582fps

1st day; 5 shot average velocities and energy
Hobby 11.9 586 fps 9.08 fpe
JSB Exact RS 13.43 506 fps 7.63 fpe
JSB Jumbo Express 14.35 483 fps 7.44 fpe
RWS Super HP 14.2 570 fps 10.24 fpe (best velocity and power)
Crossman Premier 14.3 497 fps 7.85 fpe
H&N FTT 14.66 501 fps 8.17 fpe
Cleaned the barrel with Ballistol until no fouling in patch

2nd Day
Hobby 11.9 546 fps 8.41 (decrease from 1st test 7.3%)
JSB Exact RS 13.43 487 fps 7.56 fpe (slight decrease)
JSB Jumbo Express 14.35 483 fps 7.56 fpe (slight increase)
RWS Super HP 14.2 547 fps 9.44 fpe (decrease from 1st test 8.4%)
Crossman Premier 14.3 488 fps 7.56 fpe (slight decrease)
H&N FTT 14.66 480 fps 7.75 fpe (5.1% decrease)

Accuracy (open sights so not really a good test for the gun)
No pellet was really doing anything well, the Crossmans at 10 yards were spraying like a shot gun maybe 3" groups
H&N FTT was less then 1" at ten yards.
JSB RS was about the same as the H&N FTT

I called AoA and they agreed the gun was low on power and are sending me a return label.

Stay tuned for more

Cheers
Zut

Last edited: