Bought a Springer

I also bought 3 tins of pellets of 3 various styles. From a vendor on here, I bought the patch worm cleaning kit. I'm excited to get everything then begin my setup with accessories.
Excellent choice for a first springer! The HW50S is an excellent rifle that exudes heirloom quality. The only problem with the HW50 (this is across the Weihrauch line) is that you are going to need a lot of pellets. I mean a lot! I shot over 300 pellets today in five hours. All in the blink of an eye. I suggest purchasing 10 tins at a time. Cheapest cost per shot and economical. I suggest H&N .177 Field Target Trophy 452 head size or H&N .22 Field Target Trophy 554 head size. Weihrauchs seem to like big head size pellets. Hold onto your hat, you jumped down the rabbit hole! Also, get a set of Wheeler screw drivers.

Kevin,

as you have said you're new at this — just to be sure:
Has anybody (forums or YouTube) informed you that spring guns have a particular double recoil
which requires a certain gun hold —
and which requires special scopes?

Just making sure the basics are covered.... 👍🏼

Cheers, it's a great hobby you're starting. 😊

Matthias

Reactions: ITACUD
Kevin,

as you have said you're new at this — just to be sure:
Has anybody (forums or YouTube) informed you that spring guns have a particular double recoil
which requires a certain gun hold —
and which requires special scopes?

Just making sure the basics are covered.... 👍🏼

Cheers, it's a great hobby you're starting. 😊

Matthias
Matthias,
Thank you. I've read that a springer needs a special scope that's designed for that purpose but don't know much past that. This rifle will be open sights only for now. I haven't even received it though and I'm looking at the next one that will need a scope so I may reach out to you for advice on that one. Cheers back at you!
Kevin

Reactions: judorichard
She arrived. The outer shipping box had me a little concerned, but everything appears to be ok at first glance. I'm pleased with the finish also as it's a deeper/darker stain than I thought from online pics. My bore cleaning kit hasn't arrived though and won't be here for a couple days. *Sigh*
IMG_20220620_142009.jpg

IMG_20220620_151223.jpg

IMG_20220620_150332.jpg

Hi ITACUD, I have recently acquired A HW50, 177 cal. Along with a HW 30 177cal. I bought them for an heir if 1 ever arrives. There is a plus at the end of this short story. So anyways,,,I bought 3 tins of various 177cal pellets. ( H&N FTT 4.50mm & 4.52 mm & some crossman wadcutters for fodder to break in the pellet slingers. When the pellet slingers got here I of course cleaned them (thoroughly,, especially the barrel? with the Patch Worm Kit. The 1st thing I found out is what the term " Choked Barrel" means. At 1st the HW30 liked the the H&N FTT 4.5mm and the HW50 liked the H&N FTT 4.52mm. 1 night the the HW50 quit liking the H&N FTT 4.52 pellets. Well,,what do you do? I checked the screws and all,they checked ok,, so I ran a patch and it was very fouled by the looks of the patch. A few flecks of lead glinted under the light,,,but mostly it was that mold release agent they use on the molds in production. BUT,,I did notice this other residuue,,sort of looks like a brown rust. In the military we called it cosmoline, a very very very effective rust preventive. Well after really working that patch worm there is still alittle on a patch,lol. BUT,,The HW 50 straightened right up (BUT)it likes the H&N 4.50 better than the H&N 4.52 now. Here is the PLUS, This little HW30,,freaking awesome. EVERYBODY would just fall in love with this little jewel.

I believe that you have made a great choice. I have enjoyed my HW95L and my wife likes plinking with this rifle off our back deck. Weihrauch are excellent pellet rifles.
View attachment 269444
Hello, I also just ordered the HW50S in .22 caliber. It should be here this week. Really excited as well. Not to hijack this thread, but if I could ask what is the moderator or barrel weight on your rifle Deerstalker?

Also any advice on barrel break-in would be appreciated
Zut

Reactions: ITACUD
Hey,,beside cleaning supplies and an assortment of pellets it would behoove u to buy a note book to keep your targets in with the info like ,,what pellet u used,,at what distance, say 10 meters (32.97 ft) or 25y. That's a big difference to a 177 , 12 or so foot pound air rifle if you are competing. Time, Date .conditions. If you want to know and or compare velocities.(Feet per second) you'll need some sort of chronograph to measure that. There are 3 different types that do this. I have the old school l one that measures by time. The other type uses radar, I can't think of what the other 1 is. (microwave???) eh the old lightbulb keeps gettin alittle dimmer these days. Well this i getting long, I'll leave u with this. It's a hobby with many depths. Otherwise known as ( The Rabbit Hole ) I myself,when I get a chance,try to take it easy and enjoy it.

Hello, I also just ordered the HW50S in .22 caliber. It should be here this week. Really excited as well. Not to hijack this thread, but if I could ask what is the moderator or barrel weight on your rifle Deerstalker?

Also any advice on barrel break-in would be appreciated
Zut
Muzzle weights or cocking assist - springers cannot use "SILENCERS" like a fire arm. Some people say they help with rifle harmonics and others call them an additional leverage tool that eases the energy needed to cock the rifle. Here is a fine example from JM

Muzzle weights or cocking assist - springers cannot use "SILENCERS" like a fire arm. Some people say they help with rifle harmonics and others call them an additional leverage tool that eases the energy needed to **** the rifle. Here is a fine example from JM

Thanks maxtrouble,
I see that ARH recommends electrical tape to shim the barrel break. That seems like it would peel off when you try to install it. I am planing on removing the front globe sight. Do you have any opinion on the Weihrauch Universal Muzzle Break?