Bought a Springer

If you're shooting it at any sort of elevation, those fpe #s are spot on.

I own an HW50s in .177 and it's an 8-9fpe gun, at 5600feet above sea level.
Thanks for the info, my gun is .22 caliber so it should have more power then the .177. And I am averaging 7.9 fpe so not getting close to 9 fpe except for the RWS Super HP at 10.24 fpe.

I am at 2900 ft and AoA is located in Gilbert AZ at 1237 ft so about 1663 ft in elevation change. I don't know how much elevation or temp affects these guns.

I will send it back and have them check it out. Frankly I didn't consider this in deciding on the 50. it may be that I need to step up to the 95. I do want a rifle that can kill grouse and squirrels well.

Zut(

Last edited:
Reactions: judorichard
My HW95L .22 averages approximately 17 FPE with 14.66 gr FTTs at 495' elevation. I doubt that at 3K' elevation it would change much. This is with an ARH kit and Vortek seal.

Also some questions on moderator/silencer for your Weihrauch so here is a picture of mine and some stats for reference.
Moderator weighs 4.32 oz, 122.6 g, 1892 gr. Barrel length = 15.75” from end of moderator to end of breech block. Moderator is 6” long. Female threads start 2.25” in from beveled end of Moderator. Rifle length = 41.875” from end of moderator to butt center. Thread is 3/4" long & 1/2" diameter with 20 threads per inch.

1656459155064.png

Reactions: judorichard
An HW95 will be robbed of some speed/fpe because of elevation too. At just under 3000 feet shouldn't be too much loss but it won't put out the power that guys report at lower elevations. If you're dead set on getting the fps out of the gun that others at lower elevations are, you may have to switch to a PCP.
I have two Airforce airguns, a .50 Texan LSS and .25 CondorSS. I keep them in Hawaii for pigs, chickens mongoose and tree rats, so I am familiar with the PCP guns. But I sort of fell in love with the Weihrauch guns. The simplicity and beauty of these guns can't be matched by the PCP guns IMHO, but I am somewhat spoiled by their power. ;-)

My HW95L .22 averages approximately 17 FPE with 14.66 gr FTTs at 495' elevation. I doubt that at 3K' elevation it would change much. This is with an ARH kit and Vortek seal.

Also some questions on moderator/silencer for your Weihrauch so here is a picture of mine and some stats for reference.
Moderator weighs 4.32 oz, 122.6 g, 1892 gr. Barrel length = 15.75” from end of moderator to end of breech block. Moderator is 6” long. Female threads start 2.25” in from beveled end of Moderator. Rifle length = 41.875” from end of moderator to butt center. Thread is 3/4" long & 1/2" diameter with 20 threads per inch.

View attachment 271710
Beautiful work Deerstalker! Well I have the ARH Apex Muzzle weight on the way for the HW50. LOL hopefully I will have a rifle to use it on. I wish I had the machine tools to do that kind of work.
Cheers
Zut

Update on my new HW50S that was shooting with low velocities. Airguns of Arizona inspected the gun and the tech thought it sounded strange. They opened it up and found a cracked piston seal. They reported the H&N FTT 5.53 was clocking at 588 fps with a new seal. The best I saw with that pellet was 488 fps.

The gun should be here next week. I am looking forward to seeing what my velocity loss is compared to there location. I am about 1600 feet higher in elevation compared to them.

Cheers
Zut

A cracked piston seal is a burnt piston seal. Usually caused by over lubrication or dry fire. If they service the gun properly you should be fine. I'm not sure if 1600 ft of elevation can cause such a radical velocity difference, but today my R1 had a 60+fps difference between 5.53 and 5.54 FTTs at sea level. A fresh piston seal closed the gap to ten fps between the two. Accuracy was greatly improved too. You'll be fine in the end. The HWs aren't hard to work on and are a well made platform to polish if you have to.

Be well
Ron

A cracked piston seal is a burnt piston seal. Usually caused by over lubrication or dry fire. If they service the gun properly you should be fine. I'm not sure if 1600 ft of elevation can cause such a radical velocity difference, but today my R1 had a 60+fps difference between 5.53 and 5.54 FTTs at sea level. A fresh piston seal closed the gap to ten fps between the two. Accuracy was greatly improved too. You'll be fine in the end. The HWs aren't hard to work on and are a well made platform to polish if you have to.

Be well
Ron
Hi Ron,

I appreciate your advice! I have read many threads that you have contributed to and always learn something useful.

I am pretty sure I never dry fired it and I never noticed any smoke, but it makes no difference, I am glad they found something wrong. I ordered some 5.54 FTT's for it to compare with the 5.53's

I am gonna put a tune kit in it. I am leaning toward the JM Hornet XLD kit with a Vortek Vac-Seal. I may get the Hornet seal with the JM kit just to try to fit one, but I am a bit unsure how to size the piston seal without a lath. The Vortek seal seems like it might be a good solution. I guess the thought of a Vortek seal wearing into the correct size seems a little unusual. What keeps the seal from further wearing? They must work though. I see lots of good results with the Vortec seal.

I am looking forward to tinkering with it. I am sure I will be asking for your advice on the tune ;-)

Cheers
Zut

Last edited:
The Vortek seals don't wear in. They mechanically snd thermally conform to the bore. It can take up to a couple hundred shots and a day or two to do so. They are the way to go. I just finished wrestling with a R1 that had numerous issues that made it difficult to diagnose. It was suggested that the the tube was out of round and the Vortek seal was no good and a fitted - - seal was the way to go. I fitted the seal of a parachute design and I thought I left some tension to it. When I disassembled the rifle to try another lube it slid by its own weight. I checked that it didn't leak any where in the stroke and left it in the gun. I reassembled the gun with the different lube (Krytox) and the gun was still harsh and down on power. I swapped out the parachute seal for the used Vortek I was told to suspect and I picked up 40 fps. The POI stabilized and the extreme spread dropped from the 20s to 6. Sometimes not following your gut is a bad thing. I've always had good luck with the Vortek seals. I shouldn't have let the crowd sway my diagnosis process. Feel free to reach out to me personally if you have any questions.
Be well
Ron

The Vortek seals don't wear in. They mechanically snd thermally conform to the bore. It can take up to a couple hundred shots and a day or two to do so. They are the way to go. I just finished wrestling with a R1 that had numerous issues that made it difficult to diagnose. It was suggested that the the tube was out of round and the Vortek seal was no good and a fitted - - seal was the way to go. I fitted the seal of a parachute design and I thought I left some tension to it. When I disassembled the rifle to try another lube it slid by its own weight. I checked that it didn't leak any where in the stroke and left it in the gun. I reassembled the gun with the different lube (Krytox) and the gun was still harsh and down on power. I swapped out the parachute seal for the used Vortek I was told to suspect and I picked up 40 fps. The POI stabilized and the extreme spread dropped from the 20s to 6. Sometimes not following your gut is a bad thing. I've always had good luck with the Vortek seals. I shouldn't have let the crowd sway my diagnosis process. Feel free to reach out to me personally if you have any questions.
Be well
Ron
Thanks for the info Ron. Much appreciated

Be well
Ron

"Mechanically and thermally conform to the bore"...... Those are some pretty bold claims IMO. Especially considering they are made from the same material as everyone else's seals.

Was the "other" seal you used a Vulcan SS from ARH by chance?

After much over-analyzing of all airguns, I ordered a springer... A Weihrauch HW50 S is on her way from the Nederlands towards Alabama.

I've watched every YouTube review vid of every model of PCP, springer and other varieties over the last month. I am relieved to have finally pulled the trigger. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Great choice!

Matthias,
Thank you. I've read that a springer needs a special scope that's designed for that purpose but don't know much past that. This rifle will be open sights only for now. I haven't even received it though and I'm looking at the next one that will need a scope so I may reach out to you for advice on that one. Cheers back at you!
Kevin
Hawke scopes will serve you well!