• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Bottle conversion on FX dreamline classic

Thought you folks might be interested in some modifications and groups I've shot with my .177 FX dreamline. I already put an extra power hammer spring in it and have a heavier hammer and heavy slug barrel on order. The oem barrel does not group slugs good enough for long range shots on appropriate game.
The bottle conversion required a new regulator, it was difficult to get it exactly where it was set before but I got it close on the second try.
It's now getting 923fps from the 16.2 gr pellets, 981fps from the 13.43gr slugs and pellets and 1081fps with the 10.34 pellets.
Both the 10.34gr and 13.43gr pellets grouped well at 50yds but the 10.34 ones were very slightly breaking the sound barrier and not silent, no bueno.
I shot both the Hades and Heavies in 10.34, I mismarked the target, that center top group is actually a 10.34 heavy pellet.
The 9.57 H&N clocked over 1100fps and sounded like a 22lr, too much speed with pellets and your suddenly shooting a shotgun.
The 16.2 gr beast pellets become unstable somewhere between 40 and 50yds, as in the last range session they grouped really good at 35yds, today with the little bit of extra speed they were right at 1/4" for 13 shots, impressive. It's a shame they don't hold that level of accuracy out beyond 40yds.
In general the groups are pretty good, sometime in the next couple of weeks I hope to be able shoot some groups in one of my customers barns which is over 50yds deep to see how well they group without wind.
No doubt that the 16.2 gr. pellet is my first choice for putting down large small game because the shots are rarely over 20yds, remains to be seen whether the 13.43gr or the 10.34gr pellets are the best choice for longe range pigeons, squirrels and pd's/rats. The heavy slug barrels seem to be taking forever to make it to the U.S.

As far as the tuning goes a lot has happened in the last 6 weeks, I tried a heavier hammer weight which didn't do anything for speed and put a new scope on the gun. Also fine tuned the regulator pressure and hammer spring adjustment to get 992fps with the jsb 13.43gr slugs.
I've shot 4 raccoons at work, the first 2 with the 16.2gr jsb pellets and the last 2 with the 13.43gr jsb pellets. Not a big sample but the lighter pellets seems to put them down faster. I also bought two of the FX 500cc aluminum/steel bottles, that should eliminate the need to drag my compressor to the range or just out shooting anymore. Those three bottles combined could go 225 shots, that's alot of shooting, also picked up two extra magazines. I accidentally discovered that the 30mm rings for the new Hawke 6-24 compact are high enough to allow the use of the factory magazines.
To vetmx, I have no need or desire to shoot the gun detuned and the weight or length of the gun isn't an issue in my shooting. The power wheel is my go-to in attics and crawlspaces.
If I feel the need to shoot a less powerful gun I've got a new Weihrauch 97k.

Last edited: