Skout Borescope!

Thought I would borescope my .25 25” barrel interesting, to say the least.

This is after a my normal cleaning I use on every barrel I shoot, Recreational or competitive.
You can see the unusual texture of the coating they use in the barrel? And the leading is the very dark areas? The only spot in entire barrel. You would think it would almost promote leading🧐
I also can detect some variation in diameter within the bore even with just a tight fitting patch, (that could be improved on) but not as bad as some of the FX barrels I’ve had!
Machining at the internal shroud joints o-ring grooves and thimble transfer port are very smooth!
IMG_3412.jpeg

I believe that area of your barrel has an occlusion of some type . The cutter skipped / chattered it's way past that point. The softer material was torn away from the harder material. That is not what a barrel should look like coating or no coating. I have had centerfire rifle barrels blow up because of that, That is not a worry in an air rifle barrel. It will be detrimental to consistent accuracy. There is no good way to polish or hone that out.

Is it the coating drying this way, or the surface of the barrel?
I think what you see is the leading of the barrel, at least i can not see how you could machine something like that, it kinda look like severe corrosion without the colors of course. like someone taken a rusted peace of steel, etched it clean of surface rust and then E Zink plated it.

That looks badly pitted from the initial manufacturing process or it based on Skout's coating (how it adheres), but also with what looks like a fairly smooth uniform bore. Unless there isn't any noticable tight spots that need addressed, and if it shoots accurate, then I would probably leave it alone. For me, I lube my slugs before loading and these pits would just hold micro particles of lead and lube, likely making the barrel fairly consistent.

I’m not really sure if that’s just how the barrel looks after coating is applied (if that’s the process to coat?)

It is not leaded I cleaned before and after initial borescope and same results. My barrel may have a bad coating or not? If you look closely at the picture you will see some dark streaks or spots that are within the cavity’s or crevices that I believe are lead?

The coarse finish is uniform throughout the barrel and is all the same color so I’m inclined to say this is the coating applied, it will lead but I only see minute traces of shiny lead streaks on the patches “very tight patches with a cleaner I’ve used for a very long time which has always performed well”

I’m not touching this barrel! If anything I will send this video to SKOUT and see what they say if bad I’m sure they will send another to replace it, they are a great Company and customer service is fantastic. “If you’re listening SKOUT let us know what you think?“

I will clean again with a different solvent just in case I’m totally wrong in my conclusion? I only wish I would have done this Pryor to shooting the gun!

Last edited:
I want to be clear I didn’t post this to complain or because I think the barrel is junk. I just thought it would be interesting to see the internal finish knowing that SKOUT has a coating or process they have to make the barrel less prone to leading. hopefully someone else with a SKOUT will borescope their’s as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Airgun-hobbyist
Without knowing about this, I think that the pellet/slug is guided by the crests of the twist as a train is guided by the rails, irrespective of stones along and below the rails.

If wheels of the train would touch the stones below the rails it could not move at all.

The building of a rail has a lot of logic.

In my mind, making a barrel for an air rifle should imply to work with a metal that is soft enough to allow the making of internal twist but harder than the plumb projectiles it is going to guide.

When we look a recovered pellet and/or slug, the lateral marks are of the crest of the twist, we do not see marks of the valleys of the barrel.

So alike in a railway, where the guides are the rails, not the stones below them, in a barrel the crests of the twist guide the projectile.

If I am wrong, please correct me.

Reactions: Stone02