• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Bore-Scoping and found worms!! Anyone got any ideas?

A fellow AG enthusiast came over this evening and we looked through several of the barrels of a number of my rifles to see how clean/dirty they were. Very interesting to see the different models, styles and the amount (or lack thereof) of build up in some rifles as compared to others.

One however, threw us both for a loop. We ran the scope down one of my smooth-twist barrels. It was amazingly smooth, almost like glass for the majority of the length of it until we came across what I can only describe as 'worms' about 4-5" from the end of the barrel, up from the pellet loading area.

Anyone got any ideas as to what these might be from?
-Jimmy

FX_SmoothTwist_Worms.1649139947.png

Lol. Thanks to all those that have responded!! Always enjoy a good chuckle or 3 when they come along!!

So yeah, how's it shoot?

Frankly. until I go past 75 yards, it literally stacks pellet on pellet, so no concerns there. It is, bar none, the most accurate rifle I own and easily out shoots the shooter. So while I'm not overly worried about it, I was curious what those worms might be and why they are there. 

If they were closer to the pellet feeding area, I could dismiss them as scratches from improperly loaded ammo, but they are 4"+ beyond that area, so it's something else. 

More of a curiosity than anything. If fact I ran the scope down another gun from across the pond and although it was squeaky clean and polished all the way through, it's not a very accurate rifle no matter what I shoot through it. 

So maybe a little junk in the trunk is good for a pellet rifle... can't really say!!

How does the gun shoot?

The fad of low-cost Borescopes has hit the interment over the last few years. Everybody looks at all the slight imperfections in their barrel asking if this is normal.

Before Borescopes, we just shot them and let the accuracy do the talking.

Barrels that look perfect, shot so-so... and barrels that looked rough shot great.

So I re-read and it shoots great, so you're good. and your observations illustrate my point well.

@Navyblue, no, it's not that far. Only about 4 inches up into the barrel from the rear. After that, it's as smooth as glass up until the twist at the end of the barrel.

It's odd to be sure, they existing completely 360 degrees inside the barrel but are only about 1/2" wide, so not sure what's up.

Again, since the gun shoots lights out, I really don't care what they are and in fact, maybe I'll transplant them to a couple of other rifles I have that don't shoot as well. Can't really say what would be the cause of them.

I think it is possibly from dragging the bore scope through there and transferring lead dust tracks to the area from a slight kink in the scope's cable. I scoped a bore a couple of weeks ago and found similar oddities. After wiping the bore with a mop patch the immediately disappeared. My tracks were more strait but wiggly down the bore, so it looked like the slugs were not rotating. Yours appears like you were rotating the bore scope in circles making the tracks.

How does the gun shoot?

The fad of low-cost Borescopes has hit the interment over the last few years. Everybody looks at all the slight imperfections in their barrel asking if this is normal.

Before Borescopes, we just shot them and let the accuracy do the talking.

Barrels that look perfect, shot so-so... and barrels that looked rough shot great.

So I re-read and it shoots great, so you're good. and your observations illustrate my point well.

This could not be more true.

Mike 

I think the answer might be above, dragging a small diameter camera around the bore could have causes those sideways streaks, I think I saw this on my 357 once before I cleaned it.

For those that have a Teslong camera, they have some different size mirrors that screw on the end of some cameras... Well worth the $20 I paid. May only apply to those that have larger than 25 size barrels.