• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

BOG tripod vs H.O.G. Saddle

I am in a wheelchair and have been shooting from a ULine assembly table with a few different Caldwell mounts using an ATN scope and a phone connected through WiFi to aim the rifle. I would like to try to go mobile so I can get out of the backyard and go mobile (targets not hunting). The nice feature of my current setup is that it is very stable. Pulling the trigger does not move the crosshairs significantly if I do my part.

Cost really is not a factor, but stability is. A local store has the BOG deathgrip tripod in stock that I assume I can test in the store. I don't have access to the H.O.G. Saddle with a high quality ballhead and carbon fiber tripod.

Has anyone used both or either of these products that can tell me about crosshair movement when pulling the trigger when the tripod is planted firmly and the ballhead is firmly tightened (assume here that only the tripod will be supporting the rifle i.e. the rifle will not be held on my shoulder but will be free standing on the tripod)?

If you have owned the H.O.G. Saddle what ballhead and tripod did you use with it?

An example of an unstable solution I tried is the Caldwell DeadShot Treepod. I was hoping to mount it to my chair.

An example of a stable solution with the table is the Caldwell Lead Sled.

Hope that was clear, but if not ask away.

@d3vnull I figured you’d have gotten more of a response here by now. I haven’t used a Deathgrip or Hog Saddle, but I do use a ShadowTech Pig Saddle. It’s an earlier metal version of the Hog Saddle to my understanding. It does a decent of job of clamping most airguns I’ve used it with. The only ones I have issues with are my Benjamin Bulldog due to its thick, tapered, clamshell plastic lowers and the AAA Evol whose lowers and air tube are too narrow. Without a relatively flat surface it’s tough for the rubber cushion on the clamping sides of the saddle to apply even pressure, thus allowing space for the gun to move slightly within the saddle.

Considering your situation, I’d say your base (tripod) and it’s feet are just as important in eliminating unnecessary movement. If you use a mini table-top tripod then a solid and stable table is necessary. With a solid base then the thing to keep in mind would be that amount of weight or pressure you put on your rifle (butt) and how tightly you grip it within the saddle can determine how much it moves. Mine has not been completely rock solid on the guns I’ve used with it, but it is effective enough and convenient compared to other options. I hope this helps some. Below are a couple of photos of the saddle used with a PCP rifle and a compact bullpup.
D86C95D7-7455-4B82-8040-27DD037B4A79.jpeg

2172E00D-49CE-4DDA-9556-74EA0214053A.jpeg

Overall it’s a solid piece of gear that I’m satisfied with. It’s advertised to be to military specifications if I remember correctly, so the quality is great!! If I have to have a more stable option I have a picatinny to arca plate adapter that I can secure to a bipod pic rail on my rifle and slide it directly into the ball head. One benefit that I have with the saddle is that I sometimes use it as a shooting rest with the legs closed together by resting the gun within the open saddle using the tripod similar to how one would use a monopod with a “V” yoke for quick shots. The rubber in the saddle is thick and hasn’t marred any surfaces on my stocks so far. I also appreciate the option to order replacement rubber pads in the event that it wears out.

In conclusion I almost always use my saddle on an Innorel carbon fiber tripod with an Innorel N52 ball head in dirt or grass. Sometimes I use spiked feet and other times rubber feet. The crosshairs move when I move, especially in the wind. I don’t lock the panning knob on the ball head. I can walk away from the guns in the saddle and they won’t fall. Before taking a shot if I lean too hard into the end of the butt then the crosshairs can be slightly pushed down. Considering that you’ll be seated you may not encounter that issue. Hope this helps some.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr.H and d3vnull
I'm far from expert on ball-heads, but the little I've read everyone says to get the largest/strongest one you can afford. That will lend to better stability. I have this one: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1599545-REG/sunwayfoto_xb_52lr_xb_low_profile_ball_head.html

I use it with my M3 impacts with Saber tactical arca rail. It's OK I suppose (I have nothing else to compare to), but I can see the advantage in some of the other shooting-specific ball heads. One option is getting the same ball head, but from Hoggsaddle, where they mill off the little extension from the top of the ball and get the mount lower: https://stores.hogsaddle.com/gnn-xb-52dl-ball-head/ There's a lot of leverage with a mounted gun and after using mine, I can see where even a little bit of reduced leverage via a mod like that would help with stability and potentially reduce some of the wobble. The only downside is that you lose some elevation in the balllhead, such that you won't be able to angle it up/down at a 45 degree angle. If you are shooting targets, shouldn't be an issue. There's some other slick shooting ball heads that use some sort of pan setup rather than a ball that sound even better, but I think they are pricey. Can't remember the name as its been forever since I was looking at them.

Whatever you end up going with, the fact that you are not shouldering the gun should help. I still get some movement when I shoulder the gun and I think its just a fact of having a long lever hanging off a single mount point. Even if the ballhead is not slipping, micro flex in the whole tripod-ballhead-gun assembly will cause movement in the sights. Just touching the grip/trigger should be better in this regard.

Last edited:
Reactions: d3vnull
The Leofoto MH60 is what I use, and was turned on to my by STOTI here on the forums. Awesome ball head. Purpose designed for rifle attachment

I loved my Bog deathgrip but once I bought my Alpha Wolf I wanted a pic/arca attachment as I did not want to clamp the stock (i know pinky up right? lol)
So I ordered an Athlon Midas CF32, this thing is sweet!!! Its lighter than my bog, adjusts taller than my bog, and will hold 55 pounds in place.

Also came with its own carrying case and little holder placed between the legs

Pretty damn impressed. It is going to get some action Sunday doing some pesting.

Last task for my bog was to hold my new taipan stock in place for some wood work lol

289112328_766299201039682_5409702748764905501_n.jpg
288244422_557862202483730_5979574836468167620_n.jpg
290723546_568547714802859_7391989926760337384_n.jpg

Reactions: Sc0- and Mr.H
Ok, that other head style I was thinking of is "Leveling Base".

Here is one: https://www.reallyrightstuff.com/ta-2u-leveling-base?quantity=1&custcol15=2
Here are some more: https://leofoto.com/products.php?cateid=86

Important to note there are some different tripod mouting styles. One is the standard 3/8" stud, and another is a sort of large open circular hole that some tripods use and I'm not sure what its called.

Sounds like ball head works well but the leveling base may be a little more solid. Some discusison here: https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/ball-head-vs-leveling-base.6886400/

I don't like trying to level the tripod, so I set all the legs to the same length and level the gun with the ball head. This negates usage of hte panning feature of the ball head so I have that locked down. With my ball head, If you set the gun level in the horozontal and try to traverse with the ball head slightly loose, the moment arm (gun mount to ball center distance) wants to disturb (slightly) your perfect horozontal level as you try to traverse. Described a different way, this is the tendancy of the gun to tilt over to one side or the other. This is one of the things Hogsaddle milling off that extension is trying to help. I get the impression this is reduced further with the leveling base as distance between gun and pivot point is reduced even further. What it looks like is happening, is the leveling base is effectively like using a large ball diameter but the gun is mounted AT or BELOW the centerline of that ball. Extra resistant to the side-flop action.

In practice this is one of those things that probalby isn't huge in the field, as you can see all the people using ball heads sucessfully. More like a preference or slight improvement for the leveling base.

Last edited:
I'm kinda late to this gig, but I also have been using the PIG saddle too. Seems well made and can handle most rifles I mount in it. I honestly have a pretty junky tripod at the moment, but for as little I use it (I mostly use a no-longer made Spec-Rest set up at my shooting station) it works for quick mobile situations. My ball head is a Innorel 52. Its great for about $100. One of these days I plan on getting a better carbon fiber tripod. And that Athlon 32 unit looks pretty great.

Carbon fiber is lightweight, so it shakes and is affected by wind. When you shoulder the rifle it stops shaking as your applying pressure and weight. The ball heads buy you more adjustment than a leveling head, all depends on your purpose. Depending on your rifle, the ARCA rail is Gucci setup but can get expensive or be awkward on some rifles, the clamp below is the TSS Xmount. The Xmount has an attached ARCA rail under it and is removed for the firearms equipped with ARCA rails for direct attachment to the Anvil ballhead. I have used a PIG saddle before, I didn't like seeing it flex when tightened up to hold the rifle so then discovered the X mount and have a few other similar options now.

IMG_20220518_190017315.jpg

Last edited:
Carbon fiber is lightweight, so it shakes and is affected by wind. When you shoulder the rifle it stops shaking as your applying pressure and weight. The ball heads buy you more adjustment than a leveling head, all depends on your purpose. Depending on your rifle, the ARCA rail is Gucci setup but can get expensive or be awkward on some rifles, the clamp below is the TSS Xmount. The Xmount has an attached ARCA rail under it and is removed for the firearms equipped with ARCA rails for direct attachment to the Anvil ballhead. I have used a PIG saddle before, I didn't like seeing it flex when tightened up to hold the rifle so then discovered the X mount and have a few other similar options now.

Not all c/f tripods are created equal. A buddy bought the top of the line Field Optics unit. I was not impressed, too much flex in my opinion. His son went top shelf and bought a RRS tripod. That thing is rock solid. I guess it depends on your budget and how much you are going to use it in the field. There are several educational Youtube vids that illustrate methods to stabilize tripod shooting, also.

Not all c/f tripods are created equal. A buddy bought the top of the line Field Optics unit. I was not impressed, too much flex in my opinion. His son went top shelf and bought a RRS tripod. That thing is rock solid. I guess it depends on your budget and how much you are going to use it in the field. There are several educational Youtube vids that illustrate methods to stabilize tripod shooting, also.

The RRS tripods and fluid head are movie production quality, but are way out of my budget without being able to try them first.

I use this head. It doesn’t flop like a regulator ball head.
I’ve used it on my 7 kilo camera (original 600mm Nikon AFS and D500) setup as well.

View attachment 356163
What does it do to prevent it from moving freely when you adjust it (what I assume you mean by “it doesn’t flop”)?
That’s pricey as hell. There are a number of options in that price range. RRS has some decent stuff made for shooting.