• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Events Boerne, Tx May 2024 Match Announcement

Hello fellow shooters! Let’s try a match again. One thing I will mention about past cancellations is that Boerne is cautious when it rains because our Field Target course is on the side of a hill with just over 10’ in elevation change from lane 1 to 10. Traversing up the steeper portion of the caliche rock with silty soil in the rain is simply too risky, I slipped last year while walking up there after a rain and don’t want any shooters to do the same, so we thank you all for your understanding and patience over the past few months. Onto the match announcement and pray for good weather!

33 Shooting Club Road
Boerne, TX
Saturday May 18th
Gates open at 8:00 am
Match starts at 9:00 am
AAFTA Ruleset + 20fpe pistol
Air, water and snacks will be available.
$20 per shooter, waived for first time shooters and first time visitors. Club rifle available for use ( cricket 2 thanks Tenacious Airguns!! )
Shooters can also enter both Field Target and the 1:30 N50 for $30.
New Lego trophies too for match winners!

N50
1:30 & 4 pm start
3 card each start time.
$20 per shooter, practice cards provided.

ANNOUNCEMENTS
Saturday, May 18th will be the ONLY airgun day at Boerne this month. The regularly scheduled 100yd shoot on the 2nd Saturday of each month is NOT being held due to a Match Director occupational hazard of having to work.

But we are always finding the bright side to things in Boerne, so not having a 100yd shoot is fine because we will officially announce that the 2nd Saturday of each month (starting in June) will be designated for Luftgewehr Schutzenverein and our own Schutzen Sie die Zeilscheibe ( Schutzen Field Target)!! A full announcement will be made soon covering all the rules, classes and scoring for the Schützen series but to summarize, Schützen is a very historic and traditional standing and supported discipline. The Schutzen Sie die Zeilscheibe ( field target) will have a pcp class but is primarily set up for springers and iron sights with a scoped class also being shot.

And keep your autumn calendars open for Boerne Luftgewehr Schutzenfest! Dates are being discussed now for the 2 day event and will be announced very soon! From 10 to 100yds and targets in between the first Luftgewehr Königwill soon be seen! Special early thanks to Diana Airguns and BlueLine for the support!

Please contact me with any questions. Hope to see you on the lanes!

Gut Schuss!

Shepard M.
BSC Airgun Match Director
[email protected]

IMG_5188.jpeg

Reactions: zx10wall
Re cancellations; probably don't need to comment but I'm getting the feeling that Shepard may be getting some pushback about the number of cancellations he has had this year especially since on the day of the match when the weather ended up being pretty decent a couple of times. As Shepard indicated there is a concern about slips and falls for the club (as well as our insurance carrier) but another aspect is concern for the road warriors that send hours getting to the match and back home. Only a few of the regular competitors are from the local area as we have several regular shooters that travel 3+ or even 5 hours to for a single day shoot making it difficult to wait until the last minute to make the call on go or no-go. As club president I leave the match directors to run their show as they see fit (as long as we don't have "inter-club" conflicts) but I know Shepard has felt some pressure from me the make the go or no-go call around the 48 hour mark prior to the match. The weather prognosticators get "somewhat" more accurate in that 72 hour window, but as we all know they still miss it with some regularity. I apologize for the interruption and maybe being a little off topic but just felt the need to support Shepard and his efforts, after all he gets enough grief from me from time to time. I suspect that short of a tornado taking out the club Shepard will conduct the next match weather be damned.

One of the many stresses match directors suffer is if, and when, to cancel a match. As I've advised other MDs, among many other considerations is the fact that ominous forecasts suppress match attendance considerably. Consequently, it makes no sense to invest many hours of target and course work and preparations to stage a match in messy to dangerous conditions... for less shooters than you can count on one hand. 🖐️

That so, sometimes that means suffering criticism(s) when/if a match day forecasted to be wet (or worse) proves not so. Unfortunately, most MDs being human (Yours Truly excepted 🦧), we must rely heavily on weather wizards' prognostications.🤬 Think Merlin.
1715094772733.png

"25-50% chance of morning and afternoon precipitation Saturday and Sunday; some possibly severe."

A decade after making the decision to cancel rifle match # 2 of an AAFTA National Championship enduring severe flooding, and the match-time (postponed) deadline bringing a hellacious LIGHTNING STORM, some still criticize my decision to cancel. Too bad! It was the right decision, and I (still) don't apologize for long-distance travelers not going home in caskets.

With that in mind, neither do I apologize for staging last weekends matches in a giant mud-hole; since none were deep enough for drowning, and there was no dangerous weather threat. Several shooters chose to not make the trip, and others in attendance chose not to shoot in forecasted precipitation (that didn't happen). I refrained from coercing them either way; and highly recommend that ALWAYS be the approach.

We make the best decision(s) possible with all information available to us up to the moment we must make the decision. Trust me; although shooters' interests and investments are omni-present concerns, their well-beings are the first, foremost, and final consideration.

Always attracting shooters from afar, and often from out of state, I'm often torn about when to finally make 'the call'. Because final it must be; as waffling only exacerbates a bad situation. I usually make the call a day or two before a scheduled match. And although 48 to 72 hours would be something of a luxury for me, it might be a more realistic deadline. (y)

As I stress in every shooters meeting, SAFETY is the first and foremost consideration at my matches. Fun is second(ary).

Last edited:
One of the many stresses match directors suffer is if, and when, to cancel a match. As I've advised other MDs, among many other considerations is the fact that ominous forecasts suppress match attendance considerably. Consequently, it makes no sense to invest many hours of target and course work and preparations to stage a match in messy to dangerous conditions... for less shooters than you can count on one hand. 🖐️

That so, sometimes that means suffering criticism(s) when/if a match day forecasted to be wet (or worse) proves not so. Unfortunately, most MDs being human (Yours Truly excepted 🦧), we must rely heavily on weather wizards' prognostications.🤬 Think Merlin.View attachment 462505

A decade after making the decision to cancel rifle match # 2 of an AAFTA National Championship enduring severe flooding, and the match-time (postponed) deadline bringing a hellacious LIGHTNING STORM, some still criticize my decision to cancel. Too bad! It was the right decision, and I (still) don't apologize for long-distance travelers not going home in caskets.

With that in mind, neither do I apologize for staging last weekends matches in a giant mud-hole; since none were deep enough for drowning, and there was no dangerous weather threat. Several shooters chose to not make the trip, and others in attendance chose not to shoot in forecasted precipitation (that didn't happen). I refrained from coercing them either way; and highly recommend that ALWAYS be the approach.

We make the best decision(s) possible with all information available to us up to the moment we must make the decision. Trust me; although shooters' interests and investments are omni-present concerns, their well-beings are the first, foremost, and final consideration.

Always attracting shooters from afar, and often from out of state, I'm often torn about when to finally make 'the call'. Because final it must be; as waffling only exacerbates a bad situation. I usually make the call a day or two before a scheduled match. And although 48 to 72 hours would be something of a luxury for me, it might be a more realistic deadline. (y)

As I stress in every shooters meeting, SAFETY is the first and foremost consideration at my matches. Fun is second(ary).

@AirNGasman I have long considered you to be a mentor, and much of my MD decision making is based on your aeons of hearding cats, er…airgun match direction, and learning from all the pitfalls and praises you have encountered and received. Your MD experiences alone could fill a book - and yes that’s a suggestion! Without such guidance early on I think I would have had some borderline disastrous matches over the past couple of years instead of just a few cancelled ones of late. I put to heart what you told me early on, a bad match is harder to overcome than cancelling one. Thanks for all you do, whether you realize it or not!

Reactions: AirNGasman
@AirNGasman I have long considered you to be a mentor, and much of my MD decision making is based on your aeons of hearding cats, er…airgun match direction, and learning from all the pitfalls and praises you have encountered and received. Your MD experiences alone could fill a book - and yes that’s a suggestion! Without such guidance early on I think I would have had some borderline disastrous matches over the past couple of years instead of just a few cancelled ones of late. I put to heart what you told me early on, a bad match is harder to overcome than cancelling one. Thanks for all you do, whether you realize it or not!
I've always thought that Ron was mental, too. Oh, I misread, you said mentor. Well, I think I'll stand by my statement.
I've never been shy about telling a match director how I feel, but the decision to cancel or not cancel a match will not be criticized by me. I've held matches in pouring rain with 6 inches of standing water that should have been cancelled and I've cancelled matches for what turned out to be beautiful days. You can only try to make the best decision at the time and then live with it.

"I've always thought that Ron was mental, too."

Do you also think application of past tense appropriate in that statement, Scott? I suspect some might disagree.:unsure:

Example- The shortest FT shooter we know called today and asked "What are you doing?" I replied, "Well, you're not going to believe this; but I'm bloviating on the forum again."

As most sane folk would, he asked "What does bloviating mean?" So I answered with the question, "What is the first syllable in bloviating?" He said, "Blow... as in blowing hot air?" with a chuckle.

I replied, "You're well on your way to defining bloviating, Bud."

My point? Your use of past tense might be inaccurate, SC.