• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Results Boerne, TX May 2024 FT Match Report

Boerne Field Target Match Report May 2024

MD’s notes:

The weather was kind enough to hold a match this month, making this only our second match of 2024. We had seven persons en masse, six shooters, with only five competing for score and one conscientious objector. The weather was near perfect as the heat was stepping in, bringing the breezes along by mid match. The weather a week prior to the match was also perfect for the thistles, purslane, wild parsley, random grasses and all else we call weeds. It took a Texas Hill Country jungle miracle to find the lanes and target bases before match day, but we proved victorious. In recent days, Robert D. and I attacked the lanes, armed with electric trimmers and 4-cycle mowers and covered in DEET to fight off the silent waves of kamikaze chiggers and sleeper mosquitoes hiding deep under the hot rising Texas sun. As we unearthed the relics of a near-forgotten course, our spirits were kept high as the lanes were coming back to life. Friday came quickly and we returned to the ramparts filled with zeal; a field target match was finally a go.

Perhaps a bit overzealous however, as I neglected to consider anyone shooting from the ground or near ground level when setting what I thought was a nifty little shot just over the caliche rock for Lane 2’s nearest target. It was about 1.5” too low to be seen when sitting on the Texas dirt. As irony would have it, I shoot sitting almost directly on the ground! Only one other shooter had to adapt, improvise and overcome the blind and impossible shot, thankfully.

But the zeal wasn't all wasted, shooters were finding targets in less familiar but very fun places and sometimes in more hard to find places. Some were tucked away neatly under newly cleared limbs and brush and some were tunneled with cypress and hackberry branches. The bright yellow paint proved its worth in most shadowy lanes, however when contrasted with the lime green ground cover on many lanes, I found the yellow was not the fairest for shooters to locate. Texas will be an EZ-Bake oven down here over the next few weeks and we have plenty of brawndo to water with so the green color should not be a problem next month.

Kneeling lanes are already difficult and messing with the emotions of a field target shooter is already ill advised. Combining the two is spicy no bueno..Sorry to break it to y’all but I bet if you just hit anywhere on the dang far target on lane 9 it would fall. So if you were basking in the victorious light of thinking you championed long and difficult kneeling shots twice in row…yeah about that…. Quote the raven nevermore, fix thy target hath not post your score. The far target, a raven actually, was obviously not going to function well and slipped past my multi level stringent quality assurance controls. In other words, I should have noticed when setting up the match and pulled it prior. I did tell the shooters about the bad target, but have decided NOT to remove the target from the final scoring and rotation. Numbers are hard and everyone marked two hits so.. So all seriousness aside, here's the results!

Scotty H.53 / 60MarauderFalconJSB 13.4Hunter PCP
Jim C.44 / 60RedwolfSightronJSB 13.4Hunter PCP
Shepard M.40 / 60Cricket 2CTJSB 13.4Hunter PCP
David T.37 / 60RipleyHawke13.74 ( .20 )Hunter PCP
Glen D.33 / 60BRK GhostSightronJSB 13.4Hunter PCP

Congratulations to match winner Scotty H. who took home our first ever Lego FT action figure trophy for 1st Place and another PA gift certificate. Scotty’s Marauder/Falcon combo is a force to be reckoned with as any shooter at the Cajuns knows. Scotty’s 53/60 took the top spot, clearing 4 lanes and carding a 5 / 6 on Boerne’s now permanent standing lane, Lane 7. Shooting a 13gr JSB, Scotty was not phased by the increasing winds as the morning went on, posting 5 / 6 on half the course.
Jim C., took 2nd Place with his loyal Redwolf and Sightron chalking a 44/60 and clearing 3 lanes. Jim was likely finding creative ways to curse me as the course he set up was not what he faced, with yellow squirrels and vermin in foreign places, yet seemingly the correct distance. Fine shootin’ Jim!
Yours truly took third with the club’s trusty Tenacious Airguns Cricket 2 Tac. Awesome stuff Derrick! With a 40/60 posted and only a few sight in shots taken, this Eastern Bloc bullpup kept its poi and zero, sans a click in transport, since our last match in, well…its been a while. It carried me and I carried the case.
David T. sometimes shoots the most exquisite and interesting PCP I have seen, a Ripley XL-9. We have seen this in David’s hands a few times now and I am in awe over the craftsmanship. David’s 37/60 was only a few shots back, but David’s skills far outshined mine with a perfect kneeling lane ( even IF the bad target was removed) and 3 cleared lanes total. Great shooting David!
Lastly and definitely not not least, Glen D. shot his first ever Field Target match! If Glen’s 34/60 wasn’t impressive enough, his Tenacious Tuned BRK Ghost and Sightron combo surely is. Glen was patient getting into airguns, yet his presence will surely be known as he brings a fierce competitive spirit backed with a finely honed set of marksmanship skills. Welcome to FT and airguns Glen!
Robert D. was the final shooter on the course, tackling the layout with his springer and not for score this month. I have a feeling we will see more springer shooters in the coming months, myself going to springer for sure!

HUGE thanks to all who helped breakdown the match!!!! Major hat tip to Robert D for the setup help! Jim C sets the course and I screw it up, Leslie D keeps the comms going!

Next match is Sat. June 15th!!!

THE 2024 BOERNE FIELD TARGET CHAMPIONSHIPS ( Rifle and Pistol) WILL BE HELD DURING THE BOERNE LUFTGEWEHR SCHÜTZENFEST 2024

Boerne Field Target Club marks its 10 year anniversary this year. What better way to celebrate than with championship Field Target as part of an airgun Schützenfest!

SAVE THE DATES:

OCTOBER 19 & 20, 2024

LUFTGEWEHR SCHÜTZENFEST 2024 sponsored by Diana Airguns

Gut Schuss!

-Shepard M.
Airgun Match Director, Boerne Shooting Club

[email protected]

IMG_5526.jpeg

IMG_5533.jpeg

IMG_5540.jpeg

IMG_5531.jpeg

IMG_5523.jpeg