• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Boerne- December Match Report

Boerne Field Target’s December Match Report

Saturday was the last match of the year and we were truly blessed to have some great weather and even better people to shoot airgun field target and benchrest. The Woods course was alive with ground cover, bright green from the recent rains. The mild temperatures coupled with the curious winds
provided our shooters from near and far a most beautiful morning and afternoon for field target. During the morning rifle match, the damp bark and matted canopy speckled the sunlight across the darker than usual lanes where Jim C’s target locations were perfectly situated. As the sun quickly rose from the shooters right, the light waved dynamically highlighting the yellow targets, some seemingly bright and others quite shadowed, with many changing each moment, at mercy to the swells and ebbs of wind throughout the pistol match. Even with the glorious sunshine, the brightest part of the day was welcoming back our dear friends Juan and Guiellermo to shoot WFTF. I’ve shot with Juan in the past and he has so much fun shooting its contagious. But despite the smiles and laughter, his noble 32/60 and his EV2 was no contest for Giellermos’ outstanding 42/60 with his AA 900.. With 5 out of 6 on both forced position lanes, his prowess spanned the classes!
PCP Hunter class and overall Match champion Derrick W’s casual 54/60 with his Ghost proved to be a bit out of reach for Billy D and his FX Crown, posting a very impressive 50/60 and despite his best wind talking abilities. Jim C’s solid 45/50 and his gorgeous Red Wolf took third place, inching out my score of 44/50 with the Tenacious Cricket 2 Tac and a bit over another beautiful Redwolf with David T’s 42/60.

Pistol, pistol on the wall, who's the fairest of them all?
Why Brocock, of course. Only three pistols were shot by 5 shooters and one pistol took 2 of the top 3 positions and all 3 were Brocock.. Read that again. The seemingly MOAP Brocock Commander landed Derrick W a 52/60 for the winning spot and Billy D in third with a 47/60, but Billy was headed off at the pass with 2nd place and Jim C’s Brocock Atomic 50/60. And that's about as crazy as the MD letting those three shoot together. David T. took on the course with his beautiful HW, posting a very respectable 39/60 and I managed to pick off 21/60 with an unnaturally top heavy Crosman 1701. Working on that one.

Great Shooting on a great course! Specail thaks to Jim C for his crafty courses!!!

Prizes. I’m calculating all the cumulative winnings and will be disbursing a total of $400 in P.A. Gift Cards to all the match winners to third place. As I am both a contestant and match director, I feel it is best I abstain from collecting any prizes and am recalculating the prizes to go to the next place shooter. The inherent nature of setting up a course is a potential advantage and in my judgment whether or not that information was used as such cannot be proven, it is best to not approach such a matter and stay neutral. Given the circumstances, it is much easier to combine the prizes from each match as many shooters placed in more than one match. Please check your emails in the coming week for a Digital Gift Card for Pyramyd!

And now the other shoe drops. What match would be without the good ol fashioned snafu? Your’s truly started everything late and thus pushed the amazing turnout of benchrest to a much more confined timeframe. Some things can be taught, some things can be heard, many things can be read, but nothing replaces the lessons learned by screwing it up yourself and watching the start time fly past you, confused.
I’ve apologized enough, but cannot thank enough. Lupe, you made it happen! Benchrest had an amazing turnout and interest for a debacle of a shoot. We had new airgunners, wind, first time competition shooters, wind, crossover field target shooters, wind and a wide variety of airguns. With a few MD lessons learned and Lupe’s motivating nature, I predict the benchrest nights will be a very popular match and could gain another date as quite a few ARA and ABRA shooters have expressed interest in competing with airguns.

This has been one of the most amazing years of my life thanks to all the airgun shooters and those who have come to Boerne. Together we have achieved many great accomplishments, overcome obstacles and most of all, created memories that will be forever part of the airgun history at the oldest operating shooting club in the US. As we move into the new year, I look forward to reviving even more of the Boerne Shooting Club for airgun shooters, seeing new faces, old friends and maybe try saving a friendship or two.

Stay tuned for the 2024 schedule!

May God bless Texas and all things airgun.

-Shepard M.

Excellent report and MD work Shepard. Thanks go to Jim Clarke for a great course layout.

IMG_2075.jpeg

Last edited: