• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Body shots on bandits?

This is a REALLY BAD idea. Acetone does not have the same effect on a raccoon.
Not fond of experimenting with poisoning animals. If I can drop it from a lung shot, better a heart shot if it'll get through one of the lungs to it, would be ideal. I don't want to shoot it and shoot it and shoot it. Not for pelt damage, for my conscience.

I remember when my dad caught a ground hog in a have a heart trap years ago. He didn't have a gun, or even a pellet gun, just took an old sword we had as kids and stabbed it to death. The screaming that poor thing did... over and over... I seriously think my dad was having a Nam flashback or something with how many times he stuck that bastard.

Reactions: N2 Shooter
I have dispatched about 4 raccoons in foothold traps with a 45 fpe .25cal slug to the vitals. You get a quick screetch and they bleed out internally. I have also taken a few from a window with bodyshots, but I was using the Bulldog .357cal at +160fpe with either Polymags or NSA 110gr slugs. Both ammunitions worked, with the distinct edge to the NSA slugs.

Had one take 10 rounds of 44.8 grain hybrids out of a 30 cal last night before getting finished with an ar
20230408_024059.jpg

At what range in feet per second or those 30 caliber pushing. I would expect if you had a few of those hit the lungs or hard it would have eventually stopped. I had a friend shoot one in the head with a 9mm hollow point and it still did the death dance. So blowing their brains completely apart the body still moves after death.

As I posted earlier I hit one in the banana. Iit was a crappy shot but it only made it 10 ft. Must have nicked something vital by luck.

this is simple. Just like in the old trapping days. Stun it with an axe handle and place a low power shot from a pumper, 3 strokes, through the
eye socket or ear canal into the brain.
The raccoon will do the death dance for a few minutes and expire. An exit wound is unlikely and the skull will remain intact.

happy hunting
Doc
Did the same for years